Ask Moshe

[quote]DrSkeptix wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

1. It’s pretty hard to think of titties, work, and bank accounts while wearing a box containing the Torah on your forehead, so you can give prayer your full attention.
    [/quote]

This is priceless.[/quote]

Someone should tell this young lady that she is doing it wrong.[/quote]

No they shouldnt.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
When it comes to bacon, Orthodox Jews do not know what they are missing.[/quote]

A Priest and a Rabbi were, by coincidence, sitting next to each other on a long flight.

About an hour passes and not a single word was exchanged by the two men. Finally, the Priest turns to the Rabbi and says, “Rabbi, do you mind if I ask you a personal question?” The Rabbi said. “Of course, you may.”

“I understand that many of you Jewish people, especially Rabbis, keep kosher and, as such, don’t eat things like bacon.” The Rabbi acknowledged that. “Haven’t you ever even tasted bacon or ham?” asked the Priest.

The Rabbi explained. “Many years ago, I was a visiting Rabbi in a small town in the middle of nowhere and found myself in a diner one Sunday morning. There was no one around so I ordered bacon and eggs. It was quite good but that was the only time that ever happened.”

After some time, the Rabbi turned to the Priest and said, “Father, do you mind if you ask you a very personal question”? The Priest said OK.

“You Priests take an oath of celibac, right”? asked the Rabbi. “Why, yes”, answered the Priest, wondering where this was going.

“Well, haven’t you ever had sex since you’ve become as Priest?”, asked the Rabbi. The Priest looked about nervous, leaned toward the rabbi and answered very softly, “As a young priest I was approached by a troubled woman who was looking for my guidance. She was a beautiful, young woman and one thing led to another. So, yes, just once I had sex with a woman”.

A few moments pass and the Rabbi leans over to the Priest and says, “A lot better than bacon, isn’t it?”[/quote]

lol, and yes it is.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

Thought this would be an interesting place to post this. Some of the stats are pretty eye openining. Mainly those referring to the marraige of non jews and the parts about jews who will not be passing on their religion. [/quote]

Would the people who pass on their religion be considered the Remnant mentioned through out the Prophets?
[/quote]

I am not sure what you mean. But a person is Jewish if his or her mother is Jewish or if they convert in an Orthodox manner (which often includes Conservative movement conversions).

He or she is no less Jewish if he or she practices some other religion or is an atheist.

The article is sad statistics coupled with the typical mismatch of nonsense trying to make readers feel better about poor life choices.[/quote]

I understand what you are saying, but is there not a remnant that will stand 100% behind their faith no matter what? There are those that fall away. Look at Israel during the Northern and Southern Kingdom split. The Northern Kingdoms followed false gods, but the Southern Kingdom stayed faithful to the One true God. When the Israelites returned back to Israel after the exile in Babylon only the remnant returned.

This is what I was speaking about when I mentioned remnant. Just so you know the only things I know about Ancient Jewish history is what is in the Bible so if I am way off please let me know.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

Thought this would be an interesting place to post this. Some of the stats are pretty eye openining. Mainly those referring to the marraige of non jews and the parts about jews who will not be passing on their religion. [/quote]

Would the people who pass on their religion be considered the Remnant mentioned through out the Prophets?
[/quote]

I am not sure what you mean. But a person is Jewish if his or her mother is Jewish or if they convert in an Orthodox manner (which often includes Conservative movement conversions).

He or she is no less Jewish if he or she practices some other religion or is an atheist.

The article is sad statistics coupled with the typical mismatch of nonsense trying to make readers feel better about poor life choices.[/quote]

I understand what you are saying, but is there not a remnant that will stand 100% behind their faith no matter what? There are those that fall away. Look at Israel during the Northern and Southern Kingdom split. The Northern Kingdoms followed false gods, but the Southern Kingdom stayed faithful to the One true God. When the Israelites returned back to Israel after the exile in Babylon only the remnant returned.

This is what I was speaking about when I mentioned remnant. Just so you know the only things I know about Ancient Jewish history is what is in the Bible so if I am way off please let me know.
[/quote]

Yes, I think I agree with most of what is being said. I might not be understanding.

I do believe that there are a lot of Jewish people in the world who have no idea they are Jewish.

I don’t believe it is a common belief among Hasdim that “90% of Israelis are not Jewish” (not sure if that was your post).

The Hasidim may take issue with many Israelis level of observance of Torah and they do believe (correctly) that many immigrants to Israel may be of Hebrew extraction but not Jewish (e.g., father Jewish, mother not), but almost all their children enter the military and undergo an Orthodox conversion, which makes the issue moot.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, I think I agree with most of what is being said. I might not be understanding.

I do believe that there are a lot of Jewish people in the world who have no idea they are Jewish.

I don’t believe it is a common belief among Hasdim that “90% of Israelis are not Jewish” (not sure if that was your post).

The Hasidim may take issue with many Israelis level of observance of Torah and they do believe (correctly) that many immigrants to Israel may be of Hebrew extraction but not Jewish (e.g., father Jewish, mother not), but almost all their children enter the military and undergo an Orthodox conversion, which makes the issue moot.[/quote]

I was just trying to clarify.

One thing I HAVE noticed at various functions with Jewish friends, JB…

Ugly guys with beautiful women is certainly not exclusive to Gentiles!

(Again…thanks always for the insights!)

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

I am not really sure if there is a question, or the comment is that Jewish men are ugly and Jewish women are often pretty. Possibly true.

But we sadly have our share of pretty boys, too: David Beckham, Henry Cavill (superman), Zac Effrom, etc.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

I am not really sure if there is a question, or the comment is that Jewish men are ugly and Jewish women are often pretty. Possibly true.

But we sadly have our share of pretty boys, too: David Beckham, Henry Cavill (superman), Zac Effrom, etc. [/quote]

David Beckham is 100% Jewish? The other two I knew they were, but did not pick out David Beckham to be apart of your people.

No, no, no…just joking around! (Badly, I guess!)

…but I have seen a number of absolutely stunning Jewish women…!

Mufasa

[quote]Karado wrote:
What I ask sometimes is: when did God ever tell anyone to COMPILE a Bible (as defined by a man made collection of Scripture into one volume) anyway? When did G-d put Himself into a 66 book box?
He didn’t, ‘‘Man’’ did under the rule of Constantine…But wasn’t Constantine about as Pagan as they came?
Is that correct?
[/quote]

Start another thread, this is about Moshe. And, there is multiple things you state that are incorrect in this post.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:
Have you ever taken a razor to your face? I know you said you took beard clippers to the beard in the military, but never a razor?[/quote]

I think I had a razor taken to my face after my first wife was killed – I had glass and all sorts crap in my face. They shaved me bare, anyway, looking for crap stuck in my face. I presume they used a razor. I was out of it, fortunately.

According to my daughers who have seen photos, clean shaven I look exactly like the arab guy with tattoos on his face from “The Mummy” movies, except with blue eyes.[/quote]

Well, that is sad about your wife.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

But we sadly have our share of pretty boys, too: David Beckham, Henry Cavill (superman), Zac Effrom, etc. [/quote]

The large-ish cross on his neck, I assumed he was Christian. Jewish I see.

My mom works at a Hebrew Academy and I recently went with her there to pick something up. She told me they were very specific in picking their location as it is in a recess behind several hills and cannot be located from any main roads or nearby businesses.

Is this common among Jewish organizations? She also got her job by applying to a blind ad and was unaware it was a Jewish school until the interview. Do Jews have a sort of “survivalist” or “prepper” mentality due to their experiences?

[quote]CroatianRage wrote:
My mom works at a Hebrew Academy and I recently went with her there to pick something up. She told me they were very specific in picking their location as it is in a recess behind several hills and cannot be located from any main roads or nearby businesses.

Is this common among Jewish organizations? She also got her job by applying to a blind ad and was unaware it was a Jewish school until the interview. Do Jews have a sort of “survivalist” or “prepper” mentality due to their experiences?[/quote]

Wouldn’t you?

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Is this common among Jewish organizations? She also got her job by applying to a blind ad and was unaware it was a Jewish school until the interview. Do Jews have a sort of “survivalist” or “prepper” mentality due to their experiences?[/quote]

Wouldn’t you?[/quote]

Absolutely. I’m just curious. I’ve lived near the school for over 20 years and didn’t know it existed until my mom started working there. I assumed they would have armed security, but they do not. However, they do lock the school down as soon as the day starts.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Wouldn’t you?[/quote]

Absolutely. I’m just curious. I’ve lived near the school for over 20 years and didn’t know it existed until my mom started working there. I assumed they would have armed security, but they do not. However, they do lock the school down as soon as the day starts.
[/quote]

I’m guessing that they do have armed security, they just don’t advertise it as such. Good thing about privately-run schools is that they don’t necessarily fall under the purview of “federal gun-free zone” legislation. My guess is that a good number of the staff is armed.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Wouldn’t you?[/quote]

[/quote]

I’m guessing that they do have armed security, they just don’t advertise it as such. Good thing about privately-run schools is that they don’t necessarily fall under the purview of “federal gun-free zone” legislation. My guess is that a good number of the staff is armed. [/quote]

Or know how to separate ones head from shoulders with their bare hands.

Sorry, I missed this. I guess the answer is “yes.” In every Shul, school, whatever, we have to be aware that either an organized group or a loan nut may very well target us for random crime of some kind.

The number one victim of hate crimes in the USA per capita are Jews, by a large margin and there are multiple attacks of various kinds on Jews every year, even in the USA and Europe

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

Sorry, I missed this. I guess the answer is “yes.” In every Shul, school, whatever, we have to be aware that either an organized group or a lone nut may very well target us for random crime of some kind.

The number one victim of hate crimes in the USA per capita are Jews, by a large margin and there are multiple attacks of various kinds on Jews every year, even in the USA and Europe[/quote]

I fixed “loan” with “lone”.

Edit: Thought Loan was someone the Hebrews did not pay back their loan.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Wouldn’t you?[/quote]

[/quote]

I’m guessing that they do have armed security, they just don’t advertise it as such. Good thing about privately-run schools is that they don’t necessarily fall under the purview of “federal gun-free zone” legislation. My guess is that a good number of the staff is armed. [/quote]

We do have armed people, even in places like NYC or Phoenix. In NYC, it’s a couple of armed police officers, in uniform, we hire, plus some non-obvious security. In Phoenix, it’s more likely to be staff members, because the gun laws are not as restrictive.

A Reform Jewish school might not have armed guards, in that they are liberals, and so have irrational fear of weapons. So they depend on stealth and locks. Me, I’m a born Israeli and cleaned my mother and father’s M16s when I was 8 for spending money.

Being hated is just part of being Jewish, sometimes.