Ask Moshe

[quote]DrSkeptix wrote:

At the risk of offending some…[/quote]

Well, Doctor, you are certainly a gentleman, and Oscar Wilde would agree. :slight_smile:

JB:

What does the “Tefillin” (s.p.) represent?

Is it worn by all Jewish people at some point during Prayer…and does it have any relationship to the Wailing Wall? (Where I often see it worn).

Thank you.

Mufasa

Bump?

Sorry, if this was asked in the 21 other pages, but why are American Jewish people so overwhelming liberal?

I would think just from the foreign policy/national security angle, it would at least balance out some of the social values. One of the gyms I attend is a Jewish Community Center, so I have several Jewish friends there. But I never understood why they were so liberal. With our current President, why any of them would still support them is totally beyond me.

What’s your take on this?

(Hopefully JB doesn’t mind a “bump”…)

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
JB:

What does the “Tefillin” (s.p.) represent?

Is it worn by all Jewish people at some point during Prayer…and does it have any relationship to the Wailing Wall? (Where I often see it worn).

Thank you.

Mufasa [/quote]

A Tefillin (many ways to spell it in English) is worn my Jewish MEN during morning prayers. (Some women do, as well, but it is not common, and authorities are in disptue whether it is permitted. I personally think it is optional, but those women who do it are really doing it to seek attention – at least those who use them in public.)

You can wear them at other times. Sometimes, when I am troubled and desire to focus my prayers and limit distraction, I wear them as well. So I keep an extra set in my desks. Photo is mine from my desk. I usually keep them in a nice sack, but pulled them out for the photo.

Yes, it’s stored with my wallet, carry pistol, and afternoon protein drink.

The obligation of tefillin is mentioned four times in the Torah: twice when recalling the The Exodus from Egypt:

And it shall be for a sign for you upon your hand, and for a memorial between your eyes, that the law of the L–d may be in your mouth; for with a strong hand did the L–d bring you out of Egypt.

Exodus 13:9

And it shall be for a sign upon your hand, and as totafot between your eyes; for with a mighty hand did the L–d bring us forth out of Egypt.

Exodus 13:16

and twice in the Shema:

And you shall bind them as a sign upon your arm, and they shall be as (four compartments) between your eyes.

Deuteronomy 6:8

You shall put these words of mine on your heart and on your soul; and you shall tie them for a sign upon your arm, and they shall be as (four compartments) between your eyes.

Deuteronomy 11:18

Note, this is the same text that gives us the mezzuzah

The compartments themselves hold certain excerpts from the Torah, described here:

One Rabbi told me that the four compartments are like the four chambers of your heart, and that always stuck with me, for some reason.

To greatly oversimplify, the purpose is:

1. We are commanded to do so and

2. It’s pretty hard to think of titties, work, and bank accounts while wearing a box containing the Torah on your forehead, so you can give prayer your full attention.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

1. It’s pretty hard to think of titties, work, and bank accounts while wearing a box containing the Torah on your forehead, so you can give prayer your full attention.
    [/quote]

This is priceless.

[quote]Brett620 wrote:
Sorry, if this was asked in the 21 other pages, but why are American Jewish people so overwhelming liberal?
[/quote]

In no particular order:

1. Most American Jewish people are urban and from the Northeast. They vote like other urban people from the Northeast.

2. The media has done a very good job at painting the Republicans as Christian-only knuckledraggers.

3. Israel is not particularly important to most American Jewish people. (Compare dual Israeli-Americans like myself — we vote overwhelmingly Republican.) I think this is due to self-selection. Jewish people who care make aliyah.

4. It is a religious tenant of Judaism that the world is broken and must be healed. This makes us suckers for utopian dreamers and big government projects.

5. The Republican Party only recently became Judeo-Phillic. For a long time there were idiots like James Baker that were anti-semites.

6. There is a history of believing communist B.S. from immigrants from Poland, Germany, Russia (the first wave). Back in the Soviet Revolution days, the Communists promised to treat Jewish people like everyone else, while the traditionalist Russians were much more like the Nazis — Russia for Russians and expel/kill/etc the Jewish people. So they fled to the Communist side

7. If you believe Jewish theology, a Jewish soul is a bit different than other souls, always seeking the divine. When not practicing Judaism, this soul is troubled and does all sorts of stupid shit.

8. The media has been very good at hiding the crimes of the Soviets against the Jews. So #6 hangs around.

9. The media has been very good at hiding the abuses of FDR (e.g., “no Jews allowed” immigration policies).

10. Inertia. Daddy was a Democrat, so I am too.

11. Judaism is a heavy responsibility. Secular liberalism is escapist. So it’s the easy choice.

12. Most American Jews are “Reform.” Which means they are Episcopalians without the kneeling. Reform Judaism is a load of horse shit with inconsistent theology. It makes them suckers for anything.

That’s all for now.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

1. It’s pretty hard to think of titties, work, and bank accounts while wearing a box containing the Torah on your forehead, so you can give prayer your full attention.
    [/quote]

This is priceless.[/quote]

I’ve never been accused of not being blunt.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[/quote]

This is priceless.[/quote]

I’ve never been accused of not being blunt.[/quote]

Your a lawyer, I would not expect anything less.

The lawyer for the company I used to work with was introduced to me as, “He is an asshole, but he is our asshole.” lol

Always great insights.

Thanks, JB.

Mufasa

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Brett620 wrote:
[/quote]

In no particular order:

1. Most American Jewish people are urban and from the Northeast. They vote like other urban people from the Northeast.

2. The media has done a very good job at painting the Republicans as Christian-only knuckledraggers.

3. Israel is not particularly important to most American Jewish people. (Compare dual Israeli-Americans like myself — we vote overwhelmingly Republican.) I think this is due to self-selection. Jewish people who care make aliyah.

4. It is a religious tenant of Judaism that the world is broken and must be healed. This makes us suckers for utopian dreamers and big government projects.

5. The Republican Party only recently became Judeo-Phillic. For a long time there were idiots like James Baker that were anti-semites.

6. There is a history of believing communist B.S. from immigrants from Poland, Germany, Russia (the first wave). Back in the Soviet Revolution days, the Communists promised to treat Jewish people like everyone else, while the traditionalist Russians were much more like the Nazis — Russia for Russians and expel/kill/etc the Jewish people. So they fled to the Communist side

7. If you believe Jewish theology, a Jewish soul is a bit different than other souls, always seeking the divine. When not practicing Judaism, this soul is troubled and does all sorts of stupid shit.

8. The media has been very good at hiding the crimes of the Soviets against the Jews. So #6 hangs around.

9. The media has been very good at hiding the abuses of FDR (e.g., “no Jews allowed” immigration policies).

10. Inertia. Daddy was a Democrat, so I am too.

11. Judaism is a heavy responsibility. Secular liberalism is escapist. So it’s the easy choice.

12. Most American Jews are “Reform.” Which means they are Episcopalians without the kneeling. Reform Judaism is a load of horse shit with inconsistent theology. It makes them suckers for anything.

That’s all for now.

[/quote]

I agree with alot of this except for number 12. Most American Jews are not “Reform”, they are non practicing Jews who celebrate the high holidays and view Judiasm as a form of hertitage and sense of commutinity rather. They just align or claim to be Reform if asked because it has the loosest on restrictions and most flexible practicing. It also allows for Bar/Bat mitzvah’s for those who rarely practice.

“Reform” is just a way to still say you are Jewish when you are a non practicing Jew. Kind of like people who say they are Catholic, wear a cross necklace, but never pray or go to church.

I would much prefer people to just say I am a non practicing Jew than say “Reform”.

12 Sounds a bit extreme… Reform is branch of Judiasm thats more friendly for Todays peeps… Its like diet Judiasm or judiasm lite

My .02$ is many Jews in USA are liberal because for a big part of American History the Jews got the shit end of the stick like many other Immigrants & even though now that they have rissen up they still look out for their monority brothers & sisters… Also the whole ultra Christian thing on the right creeps many out…

The irony being, of course, that most conservative Republican Christians are a lot more pro-Israel than most liberal Democrat Jews.

Well that is cause Jesus isn’t coming back until all the Jewish people are back in Eretz yisrael.

There are many super liberal Israeli citizens who could give two shits about the state as well. Which is so funny to me. You would think they would have a greater sense of self-preservation.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
The irony being, of course, that most conservative Republican Christians are a lot more pro-Israel than most liberal Democrat Jews. [/quote]

[quote]thehebrewhero wrote:
Also the whole ultra Christian thing on the right creeps many out… [/quote]

Ah, a solid victim of #2 on the list. I routintely deal with elected Republicans. It’s mainly fiscal issues that unite most.

The most interesting slur (if “slur” is the right word; it’s intended to be a slur) is painting the TEA (“Taxed Enough Already”) Party faction as a religious right group. It’s pretty much just a fiscal responsibility group, bordering on libertarian.

Anyway, the fear of the fundamentalist Christian boogeyman keeps the Jews in the Democrat Ghetto, just like fake race stuff keeps blacks on the Democrat Plantation.

[quote]A-rod wrote:
Well that is cause Jesus isn’t coming back until all the Jewish people are back in Eretz yisrael.
[/quote]

I’ve heard that, and I’ve seen my share of off-the-chart nutty Christians tourist Israel, but I’ve never met any who actually think it’s anything related to some sort of end-times prophecy.

Generally speaking, it’s that the fundamentalist Christians believe and accept the covenant of G-d and my people that the land of Israel is ours, a grant from G-d.

Regarding Republicans, in general, it’s much more common that they see Israel as a decent, normal, country, filled with decent, normal, people who deserve a homeland, and that homeland happens to have immense strategic importance in the secular world. No religion involved.

[quote]thehebrewhero wrote:
12 Sounds a bit extreme… Reform is branch of Judiasm thats more friendly for Todays peeps… Its like diet Judiasm or judiasm lite

[/quote]

Ah, Judaism compromised for modern life.

I guess could call Reformed Judaism “Compromised Judaism”

I’m sorry, but Judaism is Judaism. Just like I can’t pick and chose what parts of a contract I like in a deal, I can’t pick and chose what parts of the Covenent of Mt. Sinai I like.

Sorry, JB…just wanted to ask you something else while you were still checking on the thread.

The Wedding Dance and the significance of the chairs.

Could you give us some insights?

Again…thanks!

Mufasa

(P.S. and on a “lighter” note…what does a groom and/or bride do when one, or both, of them may have…uh…eaten a LITTLE too much lamb and not seen the gym in a while?)

(Any “funny” personal Wedding Stories?)

Mufasa