Ask Kinky a Question

I get to ask Kinky Friedman a question today at a local cigar bar. Any suggestions? If you know nothing about him, he’s a singer, writer, comedian running for Texas governor on the Jesse Ventura model. Here’s his website:

http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/index.html

I think I just may shake his hand, look him in the eyes, and ask how much of this he’s even serious about. It’s hard for me to get a read on the guy.

Here ya go, pick one:

Q. What do you see as the greatest problem facing the world today?

Q. What is your opinion on the nature, constancy, and relevancy of time?

Q. Should the government, by power of a law passed by a referendum of the people, be allowed to sterilize those who have proven themselves to be exceptionally stupid, but not criminal, so they may not contribute to the contamination of the gene pool?

Q. Are you a good tipper and what do you think about the whole tipping issue?

Q. Why do most people end up living mediocre, “regular” lives?

Q. Who, out of any person, would do the best job of dictator with total control of the world, and please give a real response.

Q. Do you feel human beings are inherently selfish?

Q. Do you think that a great goal in life is to leave the world a better place than it was when you arrived?

Q. Are organic foods any more healthful than ordinary foods?

Q. So do you think George Bush is really an idiot, or incredibly smart and just plays an idiot on TV?

Q. Can you give an easy solution for all the Middle East problems, including but not limited to ethnic issues, religious issues, corruption issues, oil issues, nuclear issues, and last but not least, the poor history of this region in the soccer world cup?

Q. Your thoughts on genetically modified food/animals/people??

Q. Your opinion on evolution vs. punctuated evolution vs. Intelligent Design vs. Creationism

Q. What is the title/who is the author of the last three books you’ve read, and what is your opinion about those books?

Q. Do you agree that omnivores should be at their most healthy when they eat a mixed diet including both meat and vegetables?

Q. Telepathy?

Q. Assisted suicide

Q. Do you think people can be ‘born gay’, or is it developmental?

Q. Does a human life have a significant innate worth, or is that worth instead largely determined by what that human accomplishes, experiences, and how the human treats and burdens others?

Q. Favorite TV shows?

Q. Most futuristic thing you wish would be invented now?

Q. Do you believe in reincarnation?

Q. Do you think, if left alone and unmolested, that Islam will become a religion of peace and usher in a new age of enlightenment and brotherly love?

Q. Do you believe that writing daily affirmations actually works?

Q. Are we the only “intelligent” humanoid species in the universe?

Q. Are those real?

I’d like to know how serious he is about actually being the governor.

I would actually vote for him if I thought this was more than just a publicity stunt funded by Texas Monthly.

I can’t vote for Strayhorn. I won’t vote for whoever the democrat is. And I have a huge problem with Perry.

Kinky is so unashamedly honest - you have to wonder how serious he is about winning.

Strayhorn will get a lot of dem votes as well as a lot of anti-Perry votes. But she is a backstabbing bitch that will switch parties to suit her immediate needs. She is evil.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I’d like to know how serious he is about actually being the governor.

I would actually vote for him if I thought this was more than just a publicity stunt funded by Texas Monthly.

I can’t vote for Strayhorn. I won’t vote for whoever the democrat is. And I have a huge problem with Perry.

Kinky is so unashamedly honest - you have to wonder how serious he is about winning.

Strayhorn will get a lot of dem votes as well as a lot of anti-Perry votes. But she is a backstabbing bitch that will switch parties to suit her immediate needs. She is evil. [/quote]

I’m suspicious of him as well, but agree with just about everything that comes out of his mouth. Looking at his “campain stops”, they all seem tied to promoting some business or the other. I visit this cigar shop regularly and can’t really get a straight answer out of the owner as to whether they are paying Kinky to visit or not.

My feelings on the other candidates are pretty well summed up by your comments above. Bob Gammage (one of the early Dem candidates) was a professor of mine. Called me a facist, but gave me an A. I was glad to see him go down.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Kinky is so unashamedly honest - you have to wonder how serious he is about winning.[/quote]

It’s a sad reflection on the politics of our era when honest politicians are deemed “not serious about winning.”

Even sadder is that people who’d vote for him (such as yourself) won’t do so because you think you’re throwing your vote away. If everyone thinks and does like you, we’ll never have honest politicians simply because we don’t elect them to office.

[quote]doogie wrote:
Called me a facist, but gave me an A.[/quote]

Does that mean you’re an excellent fascist, or a lousy one?

[quote]pookie wrote:
rainjack wrote:

It’s a sad reflection on the politics of our era when honest politicians are deemed “not serious about winning.”

Even sadder is that people who’d vote for him (such as yourself) won’t do so because you think you’re throwing your vote away. If everyone thinks and does like you, we’ll never have honest politicians simply because we don’t elect them to office.

[/quote]

Run along Pookie. You are trying to talk Texas Politics.

If YOU ever become part of the WE down here - then maybe you will have a clue. As of right now - you are just an ignorant canuck flapping his lips.

I believe in the two-party system. Voting independent is almost always a waste of time.

I asked him if he was serious about running or if it was a Texas Monthly publicity stunt. He gave a politician answer, then I asked why all his campaign stops were tied into visits at local businesses. He gave a good answer about the businesses contacting him because they support him, ect. He seems sincere as hell and if he could get a quarter of what he wants to accomplish done we’d be a hell of a lot better off.

I got to meet one of the Minnesota Mafia that helped Ventura get elected. That was exciting for me. I love campaigns. They think they are going to win. He said they are miles ahead of where Ventura was at this point and they haven’t even begun to spend their money. Also, they have close to 18,000 volunteers signed up.

Today I counted at least 6 “My Governor is a Jewish Cowboy” bumper stickers on the way to work and not one for any other candidate.

[quote]doogie wrote:
I asked him if he was serious about running or if it was a Texas Monthly publicity stunt. He gave a politician answer, then I asked why all his campaign stops were tied into visits at local businesses. He gave a good answer about the businesses contacting him because they support him, ect. He seems sincere as hell and if he could get a quarter of what he wants to accomplish done we’d be a hell of a lot better off.

I got to meet one of the Minnesota Mafia that helped Ventura get elected. That was exciting for me. I love campaigns. They think they are going to win. He said they are miles ahead of where Ventura was at this point and they haven’t even begun to spend their money. Also, they have close to 18,000 volunteers signed up.

Today I counted at least 6 “My Governor is a Jewish Cowboy” bumper stickers on the way to work and not one for any other candidate.[/quote]

So do you think he is sincere about this campaign?

I wonder why he went political on the Texas Monthly question.

I guess I am going to have to start paying more attention to the campaign. We get dick for campaign stops up here in the Panhandle.

This might be the perfect year for an indy to get in office. Strayhorn and Perry will be too busy fighting each other to give a shit about the campaign. No one votes democratic - so maybe Kinky has a chance.

This is the first election I can remember that I might not vote republican.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

So do you think he is sincere about this campaign? [/quote]

I do.

[quote]
This is the first election I can remember that I might not vote republican. [/quote]

Even if he can’t get anything done, it would keep the idiots in Austin from doing more damage.

[quote]doogie wrote:

Even if he can’t get anything done, it would keep the idiots in Austin from doing more damage.[/quote]

That’s the key to Arnold’s success as well.

[quote]doogie wrote:

Bob Gammage (one of the early Dem candidates) was a professor of mine. Called me a facist, but gave me an A. I was glad to see him go down.[/quote]

Obviously a great judge of character. I like the man already.