Ask.com > Google and Yahoo

hey guys,

ask.com is the only search engine to recognize memorial day.

it really pisses me off that google and yahoo both decorate their banners for every holiday but veterans and memorial day. i’m never using those search engines again, and want to urge everyone else to not use them either.

go to each site, see for yourself

[quote]dexslave wrote:
hey guys,

it really pisses me off that google and yahoo both decorate their banners for every holiday but veterans and memorial day. i’m never using those search engines again, and want to urge everyone else to not use them either.

[/quote]

I checked the front page and didn’t find a memorial day Atomic Dog–I’m never coming back.

Wikipedia, the firefox homepage, and microsoft.com failed to acknowledge the holiday as well. Facebook and Myspace totally ignored it. (Actually, I’ve quit microsoft already)

Fuck the internet, I’m done.

My dad didn’t tell me happy memorial day, I’m not speaking to him.

BBC didn’t commemorate it either.

[quote]jedidiah wrote:
dexslave wrote:
hey guys,

I checked the front page and didn’t find a memorial day Atomic Dog–I’m never coming back.

Wikipedia, the firefox homepage, and microsoft.com failed to acknowledge the holiday as well. Facebook and Myspace totally ignored it. (Actually, I’ve quit microsoft already)

[/quote]

Stupid analogies. The OP is right. Google and Yahoo recognize every major and minor holiday with creative banners on the title page.

It is very strange they did not do anything for Memorial Day.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
jedidiah wrote:
dexslave wrote:
hey guys,

Stupid analogies. The OP is right. Google and Yahoo recognize every major and minor holiday with creative banners on the title page.

It is very strange they did not do anything for Memorial Day.[/quote]

I think someone who has a problem with that should write to google and point out that they overlooked the holiday. Chances are it wouldnt be a big deal and they would make note of it to do something next year.

Either that, or, ya know… suggest boycotting the search engines.

WTF?!

This is exactly what happened to me!

I was taking the bus and I noticed that the bus didn’t have a commemorative Veteran’s day advertisement on the side.

This really pisses me off!

I’m never taking public transportation again!

I’d rather walk three hours to work instead. Fucking bus company. Bunch of assholes not acknowledging Veteran’s day.

[quote]jedidiah wrote:
dexslave wrote:
hey guys,

[/quote]

This was hilarious, but still the OP and Zap have a valid point…will I still use google? yeah the difference is now I will start making more of an effort to start using Ask.com just for gp.

[quote]Mad Titan wrote:
jedidiah wrote:
dexslave wrote:
hey guys,

This was hilarious, but still the OP and Zap have a valid point…will I still use google? yeah the difference is now I will start making more of an effort to start using Ask.com just for gp.[/quote]

Why not write them an email saying you’re disappointed that they overlooked a holiday that you obviously see as being important?

Especially if they get a few emails from just the people who see this thread and agree, its a good chance to make a change.

Thats fucking pathetic, Today is as much a holiday as any other holiday. looks like I will be using ask.com for now on.

yeah, i wrote an email- one to tell “nice job” to ask.com, and another mad one to google and yahoo.

yeah, to the guy to mentioned the bbc, umm they are british and dont have memorial day, so i dont really care.

i guess i should change the tone of this thread to be more “hey, ask.com respects our troops so give them a try”

I think a few people should consider taking a chill pill.

Unless you guys are vets?

Or are you just getting uptight on their behalf because they as a group are generally too pusillanimous to voice their own concerns? Yeah, right.

Talk about looking for reasons to get upset…

[quote]dexslave wrote:
hey guys,

[/quote]
While it does bother me that they did not honor memorial day in any type of way, one must take into consideration google is a multi-national search engine.

People in malaysia that don’t read english can use google.com, someone in france can use it in french, and so on.

I think google choosing not celebrate memorial day/veterans day is purely a choice that helps keep them world wide.

Yes its a bullshit excuse, yes they should grow a pair its not like they havn’t been sued every month this year allready, however unless you called every person in the armed service you know and told them thanks and sat down and remembered them and past soldiers- then really you can’t complain.

Not trying to be a prick, but boycotting a search engine based on this reason is like boycotting french fries because of the name french. Sure the french are a bunch of nancy’s, but I wouldn’t order freedom fries over french fries.

PS: Ask.com does provide more centralized results usually.

Google has a whole world of holidays to cover. Maybe they are just covering what is broadly recognised by the most customers? Religeous & international dates rather then national ones?

Meh…

There’s a firm possibility that Google is trying to be too PC by avoiding the holiday for all their international visitors.

The OP’s points may be valid on this particular issue, but Ask.com most certainly is NOT > Google. Not even in their wildest fantasy.

I honestly bet that if enough folks send e-mails about this Google will change this.

[quote]dexslave wrote:
yeah, i wrote an email- one to tell “nice job” to ask.com, and another mad one to google and yahoo.

yeah, to the guy to mentioned the bbc, umm they are british and dont have memorial day, so i dont really care.

i guess i should change the tone of this thread to be more “hey, ask.com respects our troops so give them a try”[/quote]

Mad one?

See, this is where the whole “Alpha Male/testosterone” thing comes into play again. Far too many people think the “manly” thing to do is send an “angry” email chewing them out to all hell. I certainly hope this wasn’t what you did.

It wouldnt be that hard to write an email saying “I noticed you didn’t commemorate memorial day, I’m disappointed as you usually do something for every other holiday but seemed to have skipped this important day of observation and thanks for our veterans.”

[quote]dexslave wrote:
hey guys,

it really pisses me off that google and yahoo both decorate their banners for every holiday but veterans and memorial day.
[/quote]

are you drunk?

I always use http://maps.ask.com for driving directions. They had multipoint routing (from point A to point B to point C to point D to …) before everyone else, and still have unique features, such as step-by-step play of the entire route.

Here’s an example of multipoint routing:

[quote]florin wrote:
Cool stuff about Google Maps.[/quote]

No thanks. I’d rather use a real map instead of that easy to use interactive and frequently updated map Google has.

I’m boycotting Google altogether. Their free e-mail service, maps, search engine, online Ofiice Suite with Word, Spreadsheet… etc.

Google sucks. Everyone knows that Veteran’s day is an international day. Where all the people of the world get together and remember. Remember the US Veterans.

And Google doesn’t celebrate. I’m disappointed.

Fuck Google. Who needs their accurate search engine and free stuff anyway?

Also Just Remembered:

The T-Nation search engine uses Google.

So I’m not using T-Nation anymore. I’m boycotting T-Nation since its in cahoots with Google (who I’m also boycotting). aka The International Devil who refuses to acknowledge US Veterans.

How dare an International Corporation not Acknowledge US Veterans? Those Fuckers.

[quote]dexslave wrote:
hey guys,

[/quote]

That’s because the founders of Google and Yahoo are from the San Francisco Bay Area. Damn progressive-secular, liberalist, rainbow-colored, tree-hugging bastards.