T Nation

Ashley Madison Data


#1

I searched and I can't believe this isn't already a topic on here.
How many people did you know on the list?
My idiot cousin and like 5 other people that I know were on there. Apparently, my home state of Alabama led the way in fornication & adultery. Row Damn Tyde.


#2

I’ve been curious to look at the data dump, but I know jack shit about the “dark” webz. So I wouldn’t even know how to find the list to take a gander. That being said…lots of destroyed marriages (and lives) out there all over the world, that’s for sure.


#3

[quote]HeyWaj10 wrote:
I’ve been curious to look at the data dump, but I know jack shit about the “dark” webz. So I wouldn’t even know how to find the list to take a gander. That being said…lots of destroyed marriages (and lives) out there all over the world, that’s for sure.[/quote]

Agreed.

I don’t like how the information got obtained, but now that its out there it is stirring up a lot. I think its a good reality check that some of the people on the list (ex. Duggers) that preach family values and faith show up. I think it shows that celebrities, athletes, or whoever your “idol” is aren’t perfect and make mistakes.


#4

The membership spread map is pretty interesting to look at…


#5

I don’t understand why a single woman would have a paid account on there… In fact, I dont’ believe a single female profile on there was real or not a prostitute…

Here’s what women need to cheat/get laid:

  1. A shower/perfume
  2. Hair brush
  3. an establishment that serves alcohol…

I do believe that a shit load of men paid to be on that site though.


#6

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
I don’t understand why a single woman would have a paid account on there… In fact, I dont’ believe a single female profile on there was real or not a prostitute…

Here’s what women need to cheat/get laid:

  1. A shower/perfume
  2. Hair brush
  3. an establishment that serves alcohol…

I do believe that a shit load of men paid to be on that site though.
[/quote]

Besides situations of arranged marriages (India membership?) or living in a remote location with limited access to more “desirable” men (Alaska, etc.), it’s likely just a matter of discretion…or so they thought. I guess I can see the appeal of a membership there, especially when they offered the premium option (from what I’ve seen in the news) of a hard data wipe. Apparently, Ashley Madison never actually conducted a hard data wipe for those who paid the premium for it. I imagine there will be some resulting legal cases because of this…possibly a class action lawsuit?


#7

[quote]OldOgre wrote:
I searched and I can’t believe this isn’t already a topic on here.
How many people did you know on the list?
My idiot cousin and like 5 other people that I know were on there. Apparently, my home state of Alabama led the way in fornication & adultery. Row Damn Tyde. [/quote]

An important thing to remember is the distinction between the amount of information in the dump and its relationship to whether the person actually used the site or not, let alone even personally signed up for it. What I mean by that is just because someone has their email in the data dump doesn’t mean they signed up for the site. For example, there is an untold number of email addresses in the dump with no attached profiles, personal information, or billing information. Someone could have misspelled their email and added a strangers email by accident, someone could have maliciously pranked someone and added their email and/or made an account, etc. In other words, there is a big difference between someone just having their email address in the data dump and someone having their email address, a full profile, email notification settings, billing information, etc in the data dump.


#8

[quote]HeyWaj10 wrote:
I’ve been curious to look at the data dump, but I know jack shit about the “dark” webz. So I wouldn’t even know how to find the list to take a gander. That being said…lots of destroyed marriages (and lives) out there all over the world, that’s for sure.[/quote]

The dark/deep/whatever web is just where their “press release” was posted. Both data dumps are public torrents. The actual files however are a bit more complex to open because of their size (aka you need the right program and a decent PC to effectively open/read/search them).


#9

[quote]Drew1411 wrote:

[quote]HeyWaj10 wrote:
I’ve been curious to look at the data dump, but I know jack shit about the “dark” webz. So I wouldn’t even know how to find the list to take a gander. That being said…lots of destroyed marriages (and lives) out there all over the world, that’s for sure.[/quote]

Agreed.

I don’t like how the information got obtained, but now that its out there it is stirring up a lot. I think its a good reality check that some of the people on the list (ex. Duggers) that preach family values and faith show up. I think it shows that celebrities, athletes, or whoever your “idol” is aren’t perfect and make mistakes.[/quote]

I don’t think anyone is perfect, but I feel for the Duggar family, regardless of my opinion or other people’s opinions on religion/Christianity. Unfortunately the actions of one of their sons is unfairly being reflected on the rest of them. You can be a great parent and raise your children right, that doesn’t mean they will do the right thing the rest of their lives as adults.


#10

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
I don’t understand why a single woman would have a paid account on there… In fact, I dont’ believe a single female profile on there was real or not a prostitute…

Here’s what women need to cheat/get laid:

  1. A shower/perfume
  2. Hair brush
  3. an establishment that serves alcohol…

I do believe that a shit load of men paid to be on that site though.
[/quote]

I have not had time to really look at the data yet but I’ve seen numbers around 80-90% of their customers were male. From the small part I looked at already I have a hard time seeing how there are even that many females. Maybe they have an advantage customer wise because they stay a member longer? There might be a lot of guys who sign up for the minimum period and realize how bad the ratio and cancel.


#11

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
I don’t understand why a single woman would have a paid account on there… In fact, I dont’ believe a single female profile on there was real or not a prostitute…

Here’s what women need to cheat/get laid:

  1. A shower/perfume
  2. Hair brush
  3. an establishment that serves alcohol…

I do believe that a shit load of men paid to be on that site though.
[/quote]

In the UK media, they were saying 95% male which makes more sense. I can see your point about what a woman needs to do to have an affair but a colleague of my wife’s used a similar site. No time for hooking up in bars, just need an hour in a park somewhere at a pre-arranged time.

She would go out when her husband was on nightshift leaving her young kids alone at home to meet up with various guys. Because spending time in a bar would be, you know, irresponsible.


#12

[quote]daltron wrote:

[quote]OldOgre wrote:
I searched and I can’t believe this isn’t already a topic on here.
How many people did you know on the list?
My idiot cousin and like 5 other people that I know were on there. Apparently, my home state of Alabama led the way in fornication & adultery. Row Damn Tyde. [/quote]

An important thing to remember is the distinction between the amount of information in the dump and its relationship to whether the person actually used the site or not, let alone even personally signed up for it. What I mean by that is just because someone has their email in the data dump doesn’t mean they signed up for the site. For example, there is an untold number of email addresses in the dump with no attached profiles, personal information, or billing information. Someone could have misspelled their email and added a strangers email by accident, someone could have maliciously pranked someone and added their email and/or made an account, etc. In other words, there is a big difference between someone just having their email address in the data dump and someone having their email address, a full profile, email notification settings, billing information, etc in the data dump.[/quote]

The list I saw was just for Alabama and it had email addresses, real names, home addresses and billing information from their credit cards. If you were on that list and you didn’t sign up, you were the victim of identity theft.


#13

It’s cool how a turkey hunter can use decoy puss to get a turkey.

And computer brahs can use decoy puss to get money from a turkey.

Did you guys see the commercial for the website? “I’m looking for someone other than my wife,” theme song? It can’t place what old song the jingle copies.


#14

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
It’s cool how a turkey hunter can use decoy puss to get a turkey.

And computer brahs can use decoy puss to get money from a turkey.

Did you guys see the commercial for the website? “I’m looking for someone other than my wife,” theme song? It can’t place what old song the jingle copies.[/quote]

Post the youtube, I’m sure we can figure it out. I love this shit lately (finding the old time in new music.)


#15

I f’in loved this song as a kid.


#16

That drummer is the tits, and the bass is fuckign tight.


#17

#18

Haha, that ad is so catchy!!! How could you not want to have an affair?


#19

[quote]daltron wrote:

[quote]OldOgre wrote:
I searched and I can’t believe this isn’t already a topic on here.
How many people did you know on the list?
My idiot cousin and like 5 other people that I know were on there. Apparently, my home state of Alabama led the way in fornication & adultery. Row Damn Tyde. [/quote]

An important thing to remember is the distinction between the amount of information in the dump and its relationship to whether the person actually used the site or not, let alone even personally signed up for it. What I mean by that is just because someone has their email in the data dump doesn’t mean they signed up for the site. For example, there is an untold number of email addresses in the dump with no attached profiles, personal information, or billing information. Someone could have misspelled their email and added a strangers email by accident, someone could have maliciously pranked someone and added their email and/or made an account, etc. In other words, there is a big difference between someone just having their email address in the data dump and someone having their email address, a full profile, email notification settings, billing information, etc in the data dump.[/quote]

Someone got busted…


#20

Great job Doc! The ad comes on Comedy Central late at night. It’s been popping up on all the junk I DVR. At first I couldn’t believe it. When the info hack/blackmail story showed up, I got a huge kick out of it.

An affair website is a real scum bag move, but I love the get money from suckers attitude. I also love that somebody had the balls to make that silly commercial. The computer info hack is just a sureal angle! This is better than the plot of any douche comedy I’ve seen in awhile.

I do feel for anyone who’s life is ruined because their dumb-ass dad got taken by this scam.

Also, the original song is great. I knew I’d heard it, but couldn’t place it. I’ve been searching “I guess it would be nice” and “you’d better think twice” and everything else I could think of that fit that tune for weeks!