T Nation

Ascending Sets

Has anyone tried these and had good results?
I saw that Shelby Starnes was doing them on the leg press and decided to try them for calves. I did them with smith machine calf raises today, what I did is warm up a little, then start with a plate do 8 reps, add 25# do 8 more without rest and repeat one more time. It seems like a good way to add some volume.

wtf is the point of all this crazy stuff people do. why cant they just stick to a !&$%ing basic template.

guy is leg pressing less than my girlfriend and wants to use some whack techniques.

god …somebody save us

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:
wtf is the point of all this crazy stuff people do. why cant they just stick to a !&$%ing basic template.

guy is leg pressing less than my girlfriend and wants to use some whack techniques.

god …somebody save us[/quote]

What basic template got you that sweet totally original tat, Brosario?

It just sounds like a pre exhaust method. This method is probably best suited to bodybuilders who are moving really big weights. Most people should just stick to ramping, straight sets, or descending sets (unless you have a paranoia of heavy weight).

Ascending sets, descending sets, pyramid, 21’s, drop set, Peak contractions, Supersets, tri sets, etc

You do them to break a plateau, monotony, for shits and giggles, when you want to fry a muscle.

After you have been consistent with your program for at least 6 months, you incorporate one in your work outs once in a while. You don’t create a full program based on a “pricipale” (weider made them popular). You just add to your existing work out on an occasional basis.

I think its a great intensity technique. works great on movements like leg press, squat, smith deads, and machine chest press.

[quote]JFG wrote:
Ascending sets, descending sets, pyramid, 21’s, drop set, Peak contractions, Supersets, tri sets, etc

You do them to break a plateau, monotony, for shits and giggles, when you want to fry a muscle.

[/quote]

I was mostly using them to break the monotomy/shits and giggles for calves since I hate calf work. Basically did an ascending set, rested added some more weight and did a drop set, seems like a good way to get a fair amount of volume in when I didn’t actually want to do calves.

what’s so crazy about ascending sets? I do them all the time, either something like 15-12-9-6 reps or 8-8-8-8

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
what’s so crazy about ascending sets? I do them all the time, either something like 15-12-9-6 reps or 8-8-8-8[/quote]
you’re talking about ascending pyramid where you rest between sets. I think OP is talking about ascending sets where you keep fixed reps(say 4) and keep adding weight every set with no rest.

[quote]myosaurus wrote:

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
what’s so crazy about ascending sets? I do them all the time, either something like 15-12-9-6 reps or 8-8-8-8[/quote]
you’re talking about ascending pyramid where you rest between sets. I think OP is talking about ascending sets where you keep fixed reps(say 4) and keep adding weight every set with no rest.[/quote]

This^,basically one big set where the weight increases throughout the set, an Anti-drop set