T Nation

Articles Or Videos On Bench Press Technique?

Can someone point me to some good Articles and/or Videos on power lifting Bench Press Technique?

OK. I guess everyone here has a perfect bench and would be in no need of such a thing.

There are articles on this site by Dave Tate (and I’m sure some others). Also, his website (elitefts or something like that) has videos on bench press technique. Ironmind also has a bench press technique book.

Look for Dave Tate and elitefts.com

I like Sebastian Burns explanation of how to set up for a power bench. It turn 1 bench workout into two that way (set up work and benching work).

I don’t like his style of benching over the face-I think its the cause of most shoulder area bench injuries.

Try a search for Metal milita and Sebasitan Burns.

Your just interested in technique articles now?

Are you looking at getting the most out of equiptment? I don’t use equiptment, but Joeaverage, Jim Parrish has a series of articles which are out there on a couple of sites. He says that when he benched 530, he got 150 pounds out of his shirt (and hard work learning how to use it). He also doesn’t look like a bench presser (long almost lanky arms no offense Jim) so 530 is astounding.

www.kevtrice.com

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
Your just interested in technique articles now?

Are you looking at getting the most out of equiptment? I don’t use equiptment, but Joeaverage, Jim Parrish has a series of articles which are out there on a couple of sites. He says that when he benched 530, he got 150 pounds out of his shirt (and hard work learning how to use it). He also doesn’t look like a bench presser (long almost lanky arms no offense Jim) so 530 is astounding.

[/quote]

Since my main goal was always size over power, so I never really cared about benching, per say. I get better results from heavy DB’s on a slight incline, with none of the injuries associated with benching. Now I’m bored and wanting to try something new, so might as well do it right.

I just ordered the JA strength tapes from Jim. Him not being “built to bench” was a selling point for me.
Makes more sense than studying the technique of big fat guys with stumpy arms, when that’ll never be me.

Still not sure how I feel about using a bench shirt. Never tried one.

Bench shirts are for setting records, not working out.

[quote]michaelv wrote:
Bench shirts are for setting records, not working out.[/quote]

That’s what I always thought, but it turns out many record benchers do train in shirts.

If they didn’t train in shirts they would be stupid. Thats like saying many basketball players use an officially sized ball in practice. If you don’t train with your equipment you won’t be good with it. Same goes for all sports. John Elway never used a nerf ball in practice so why would a competition bench presser fail to train with a shirt on?

For articles, definitely check out eliteFTS.com, and anything on T-mag by Dave Tate.

For some great IPF Videos go to

http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/videoclips.htm

I would also highly recommend:

http://www.shawnlattimer.com/training.htm

[quote]W.E.C wrote:
For articles, definitely check out eliteFTS.com, and anything on T-mag by Dave Tate.

For some great IPF Videos go to

http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/videoclips.htm

I would also highly recommend:

http://www.shawnlattimer.com/training.htm[/quote]

Holy crap, this is one strong midget!
http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/videoclips/NEWRECORDS_300k.wmv

Check out the spotters on his squat.

Dave Tate has a bench press video done and in the can. It should release any day over at the Elite site.

[quote]Atreides wrote:
Dave Tate has a bench press video done and in the can. It should release any day over at the Elite site.[/quote]

Cool, I like Dave’s articles. That’s probably gonna be a good one.