T Nation

Articles on Warm-Ups

I've been lifting near to two weeks now.
I've just been focused on posture and form, mainly.
However, despite my low-intensity workouts,
I have had awful soreness, not just the kind of
soreness that makes you grin and moan,
but the kind of soreness I have always associated with pulled/strained muscles.

Today, while bemoaning the fact that I can't manage to bend my elbows past 90 deg,
(try scratching your nose, or feeding your face w/o bending your elbows past 90 deg),
I realized that the warm-ups which were sufficient for my age 17 body,
are totally not sufficient now (10 years later).

I've searched the forums, and the training articles,
and spent the last hour browsing through some of them,
but there are far to many for me to read them all.

So, perhaps a few of you could recommend a few articles on warm-ups & mobility?
I know it's something I'd eventually figure out anyway,
but I'd rather take a more focused approach,
rather than a half-hazard trial-and-error type affair.

thanks,
P!p

your soreness isnt from lack of warm up
its from liftting

Try an uphill walk 10 mins and 3 x 12 bodyweight squats to get a sweat going.
Say if you’re doing lat pulldowns that day, throw on about 40-50lbs and go 25 - 30 reps to thoroughly warm up the joints. I like to really accentuate the scapular retraction, kind of my way of telling my body to get ready for pulling. Good for your posture also, which you seem to be going after. It shouldn’t be difficult. Practice your breathing and envision a heavier lift while using the light weights.

Stretch your muscles and rotator cuffs and what not, after you have completed your workout. Work in some deep tissue work afterwards to reduce inflammation.

drinking a couple protein shakes after working out usually helps with my soreness

bump…

I have a hard time believing that it should take 4 or more days for me to recover from a low-intensity workout.

I am pretty sure I can tell the difference between muscle soreness and a strain.
Here are the definitions in my mind:
Strain: can’t seem to stretch the muscle, affects posture and movement, sometimes localized to origin/insertion of muscle tissue, can take 1-2 weeks to heal
Good soreness: muscles are stiff and sore to the touch, moving makes you grin, 2-3 days (max) to heal
Residual soreness: barely noticeable except when stretching

Is my perception of soreness off base?
My background is in and Track & Field, not powerlifting, where training each body part 3x on a 10 day cycle was reccomended, for this reason recovery needed to be 99% after 72 hours.

Does body building require a different kind of soreness?