T Nation

Article Writing?

If you want to write something for a magazine or Internet media, do you just submit it to one of the editors? It is something I want to try but don’t know where to start.

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
If you want to write something for a magazine or Internet media, do you just submit it to one of the editors? It is something I want to try but don’t know where to start.[/quote]

Beg like crazy and do their laundry every third Wednesday of the month.

Worked for me.

:slight_smile:

Honestly, just be professional, have some good ideas, and don’t take constructive feedback too personally. Just strive to make your writing better.

PM me if you need anything.

-Nate

If you want to write something for a magazine or Internet media, do you just submit it to one of the editors? It is something I want to try but don’t know where to start.[/quote]

When I became the staff writer for Natural Muscle Magazine (a statewide free gym publication in Florida) about 9 years ago, I kind of fell backwards into it, but I’ll give you a synopsis of what I learned.

The magazine was just starting up when I picked up their 2nd or 3rd issue and noticed they had a lot of typos. I thought the content was solid, though, so I wrote them a letter and volunteered to do some editing/proofreading.

The owner/editor/publisher called me and asked if I could write, and gave me my first assignment; 1/4 page on the new “break-through” fat burning supplement, pyruvate! (LOL) I did my research in actual pharmaceutical journals and she was impressed enough to give me my own monthly column (which usually took an entire page or more).

Mind you, I wrote for free, but it was a monthly and didn’t take that much of my time. The important thing was, (if I had had the intention of pursuing a writing career) I now had a portfolio of published articles to bring to the table.

One way or another, you have to pay your dues. Getting on with a small publication and getting some pieces published I think is a superior method than working in the mail room of a big city newspaper, waiting for a daily columnist to die.

Just work at it buddy. Read everything that you can and relate it to your own training and the training of your clients. Make some connections and send your work out.

PM me if you need some help
Jimmy

Hey Nate,

I’m not sure if you’ve seen me around on T-Nation or any other sites, if you haven’t my name is Ruslan :slight_smile: I’ve seen you around and have read many of your posts.

Nate I’ve read your post in one of the threads on Writing & Publishing articles.

I was wondering if it would be a possibility for me to get some feed back from you on one of my articles. I can e-mail you a pdf copy or you can go to www.standapartfitness.com and you will find it under ‘Latest Updates.’ It’s titled “Most Wanted” by Ruslan Kedik.

Thanks

Ruslan

Sure thing, man. Check your PM’s. I included my email address where you can send the file.

Cheers,

Nate

Well - I never did any bodybuilding writing, but I’ve worked as an entertainment writer for the last 5 years, writing gaming reviews, previews and op-ed industry articles for a few online mags including UGO.com…even got an offer from the EIC at IGN.com to be the new Xbox editor, but I didn’t want to move to San Francisco. That was painful to turn down, let me tell you…

Anyway, to get started I wrote a few sample pieces and sent them in to a few sites that were quality mags, but not top players, figuring I had a better chance with less established sites and I got hired. I started as a staff writer, made senior editor, and finally EIC. As of right now I have hundreds of articles on the net, and am a featured critic at rottentomatos.com, gamerankings and metacritic. The approach worked well, so I’d suggest trying the same path - pick a small, but respected site or mag and try to catch on there - before you know it you could be doing a lot of writing. : )

BTW Nate, saw your article in Maximum Fitness - congrats on the piece. It was well written.

I’ve recently returned to school full time to pursue a nutrition degree, so I’m looking to switch over into BB writing - I was actually thinking of sending in a manuscript to Max Fitness - they were looking for submissions…

Anyway, best of luck to you. Hope that advice helps steer you in the right direction.

I think Nate Green wrote a book wherein he notes what editors (at least of bodybuilder magazines) are looking for. No idea where this book is or how much it costs.

[quote]Nate Green wrote:
stuff
[/quote]

Here is why I like about this kid. He wrote a book addressing the very question asked, but he’s not pimping his stuff.

http://www.giants.thenategreenexperience.com/

Contains:
Interview 8
Chris Shugart

* Yearning to write an article for a prestigious national magazine? Learn 3 things NOT TO DO, no matter what!
* Learn Chris's TOP TIP on what to do BEFORE you send off an article and how it can make or break your attempt.
* Discover how to use the editor to become the best writer you can possibly be!

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
As of right now I have hundreds of articles on the net, and am a featured critic at rottentomatos.com, gamerankings and metacritic.
[/quote]

That’s awesome. It just goes to show what hard work and focused effort can do, eh?

Thanks, man. It was my first article in an internationally-published print magazine. I’ll have another one in there in a couple of issues, and I think will be quoted in Men’s Health in the June issue.

If you’d like any info on them, just PM me your email address.

Cheers,

Nate

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:

Here is why I like about this kid. He wrote a book addressing the very question asked, but he’s not pimping his stuff.

http://www.giants.thenategreenexperience.com/

[/quote]

Thanks, man; I appreciate it.

It’s actually an audio cd series I made for up-and-coming personal trainers, fitness professionals, or really just anyone interested in the industry.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have a lot of people take me under their wing - and I have a lot to be grateful for.

Cheers,
Nate

I don’t know what you want to write about- obviously Nate knows his shit in regards to the bodybuilding world (good shit, by the way, Nate.)

But if you’re looking to submit a piece to a magazine, most times you have to submit a query letter to the editor first and pitch your article. You can look this up online as far as how to do it and what to say.

If it’s timely and they like it, then contractual things get worked out and you can go on and either write or submit the thing.

Go on google and do searches. Also look up the Writer’s Market, I’m sure they have a website but I don’t know what it is off hand.

Good luck man.