T Nation

Article Says High Protein is Bad?

I read this article that said that a high protein diet has all sorts of consequences.

any truth to this?

Hell-o junk science.

There’s a little truth to almost everything including this article. Unfortunately, it looks at the topic as completely black and white and so misses the point. It’s clear that humans are genetically designed to eat low carb diets. Processed grain products are un-natural. They’re also very profitable which explains the pressure to overconsume them. A balanced, varied diet is important in the long term but a no-carb phase for fat loss once in a while isn’t going to kill you.

And I have to wonder how long the silly old wives tale of “protein hurts your kidneys” is going to persist? I believe this “fact” is based on studies performed on geriatric asian women with pre-existing kidney problems.

The point about ketosis holds some truth, but that’s assuming to consume essentially no carbs. If you’re on a low-carb diet and making sure to consume plenty of veggies and ample fruits, you can easily avoid severe ketosis. For some reason this article assumes that a high-protein diet is devoid of “fiber and fruit consumption.” It basically lumps “high protein” and “low-carb” into the same group.
Negative effects on social interactions? That made me laugh. I would love to see some actual studies on high protein diets and the resulting social interactions.

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:
The point about ketosis holds some truth, but that’s assuming to consume essentially no carbs. If you’re on a low-carb diet and making sure to consume plenty of veggies and ample fruits, you can easily avoid severe ketosis. For some reason this article assumes that a high-protein diet is devoid of “fiber and fruit consumption.” It basically lumps “high protein” and “low-carb” into the same group.
Negative effects on social interactions? That made me laugh. I would love to see some actual studies on high protein diets and the resulting social interactions.[/quote]No one wants to train with me on the same platform when I start eating lots of whey because of the excessive gas production…

there’s nothing wrong with a high fiber + high fat + high protein diet

it’s when you take away the “high fiber” part that you run into trouble

and here’s a tip, ignore anything you see on “askmen.com

Hmmm, this article is in fact, a very sad thing. Full of nutritional dogma, hyperbole and complete lack of scientific corroboration for the claims made.

High protein diets MAY not be a good idea for SOME individuals with preexisting kidney problems.

Gluconeogensis is completely natural and occurs frequently, research has begun to show the efficacy of ketogenic diets for treating epilepsy in fact. Unbalanced consumption of dietary fat in favour of saturated fats may increase cardiovascular disease risk, increase consumption of omega 3 to compensate. Vegetables are rich in fibre.

I hate biased articles such as this.

[quote]cyph31 wrote:

and here’s a tip, ignore anything you see on “askmen.com”[/quote]

but but they said I could have hawt abz

That lady is spreading dangerously false and inaccurate information for a “professional”. Between sites like this and sites promoting being a fat lazy ass I’m going to have to block my browser from going to anything but T-Nation.

oh come on you know every guy wants to look like david beckham

ie. impoverished

I haven’t read the article and know it is bullshit.
I’ve read alot about this because my 2 year old has a kidney problem(ARPKD). I have found some articles that talk about people with kidney problems should watch the Protein intake because if your kidneys are not working at ~>80% then this could cause problems.

If you have no kidney problems then you don’t have to worry about it. And remember no body has full 100% kidney function.
We are supposed to restrict my Daughter to lower protein diet but we don’t worry about it too much because she is 2 and needs protein to grow. We get her blood work done every 3 months and she is fine…Her creatine levels are normal and her BUN is fine too.

The nutritionist hates that I am on a high protein diet but she is fat and has no muscle tone at all…wtf does she know?

We evolved on a high protein diet… Now we over consume carbs and we’re going backward.
Only thing I can ever see arising from a high protein diet is kidney stones I don’t know how much truth there is to high protein being linked to kidney stones - but if you mainly drink water I think that problem can easily be averted.

[quote]Dave Rogerson wrote:
Hmmm, this article is in fact, a very sad thing. Full of nutritional dogma, hyperbole and complete lack of scientific corroboration for the claims made.

High protein diets MAY not be a good idea for SOME individuals with preexisting kidney problems.

Gluconeogensis is completely natural and occurs frequently, research has begun to show the efficacy of ketogenic diets for treating epilepsy in fact. Unbalanced consumption of dietary fat in favour of saturated fats may increase cardiovascular disease risk, increase consumption of omega 3 to compensate. Vegetables are rich in fibre.

I hate biased articles such as this. [/quote]

Great post, summed it up perfectly.

[quote]jarc wrote:

The nutritionist hates that I am on a high protein diet but she is fat and has no muscle tone at all…wtf does she know?
[/quote]

A fat nutritionist? Isn’t this like going to a dentist who’s got rotten teeth?! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]jarc wrote:
[/quote]
She’s probably a Kate Harding fan…!

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:
jarc wrote:

[/quote]

That cracks me up when overweight nutritionists tell people how to eat

so does “askmen.com

Haha.

It says it all with the first headline starting off with the word POSSIBLE.

[quote]mjc381 wrote:
Sharp4850 wrote:
jarc wrote:

That cracks me up when overweight nutritionists tell people how to eat

so does “askmen.com”[/quote]

I saw an article, I think it was on T-Nation, or my local newspaper, about the nutritionist of the year. They show a picture of this guy and he is about 5’9" and 300 pounds. I laughed my ass off.