T Nation

Article On Dangerous Bodybuilding Habits

I just ran across an article on askmen named “Top 10 Dangerous Bodybuilding Habits” and # 6 caught my eye very quickly: EATING TOO MUCH PROTEIN!! Now I know most have heard this nonsense before but I thought it would be interesting to post the excerpt from the article and allow everyone to discuss its statements. Here it is:

<Eating too much protein
Why it’s dangerous: In the off-season, bodybuilders typically eat 1.25 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight each day. Before competitions, many increase their protein intake to 1.75 to 2.0 g per pound. However, eating too much protein can have many negative effects. First, it may lead to higher levels of homocysteine, a by-product of protein metabolism and an independent risk factor for heart disease. Moreover, having too much protein in your body can cause irreversible kidney damage and increase your risk of osteoporosis.>

What to do instead: Nutritionists generally say that no one, not even bodybuilders, should consume more than 1.7 g of protein per pound of body weight a day. Keep in mind that this is the upper limit if you’re training hard; if you’re training only slightly or moderately, your protein intake should be closer to 0.8 to 1.0 gram per pound.

Coupled with inadequate hydration, the article has a point.

Drink more water, live much longer. If it rhymed, I’d have a slogan.

DI

My understanding is that you use up some calcium with all that protein. About as much calcium as in a couple of table spoons of milk.

If you drink lots of water with your protein then the metabolic waste gets filtered out by the kidneys. Don’t drink water and you get constipation and much harder time for the kidneys to filter the metabolic waste. In the past I worked for a kidney dialasis equipment manufacturer and I can tell you “drink more water”. With everything I eat I drink a glass of water.

I would suggest that you read “Dear Mom & Dad” by Dr. John Berardi. This notion is antiquated and has no scientific basis in healthy individuals. I’d also suggest that askmen is not the best source of information related to bodybuilding. You’re actually at that site.

[quote]old_dogg wrote:
I would suggest that you read “Dear Mom & Dad” by Dr. John Berardi. This notion is antiquated and has no scientific basis in healthy individuals. I’d also suggest that askmen is not the best source of information related to bodybuilding. You’re actually at that site.[/quote]

I definitely don’t use askmen for my bodybuilding related info, although some of their articles on other topics are useful, I just enjoy reading as much as can about topics I like.

I fully agree with Berardi’s article and is precisely the reason I thought it would be interesting to start a thread dispelling common misconceptions about protein intake.

Could be especially useful to newbies that haven’t read Berardi’s articles.