Article Discussion: "Are You Really Strong"

Thanks stongmangoals

My Ironmind sandbag is presently on loan to my jiu jitsu instructor, who also happens to be a high-level weightlifter at the international master’s level. It is probably loaded to around 120 lbs, give or take who knows how much. Back before it was cold for the last six months we would do cleans and carries with it outside for warm-ups before jiu jitsu. That’s pretty standard sandbag stuff, but I was fascinated with what he ended up doing with the sandbag.

He clinched it up so there was a bit less room but still lots of wiggle, then he uses it as a drilling dummy for jiu jitsu. He’s on his backside and he’s making frames with his arms to keep the bag positioned on his elbows/forearms and knees/shins. He just passes it around his body, making it look easy.

It wasn’t easy. Not at all.

1 Like

I have the same bag, I packed it and took it to Greece, the beach is about a mile away from my home.
Filled it up with about 130lbs of sand and carried it home. My whole back was torched haha.

1 Like

These Real strong articles can get kind of goofy.

Anybody can get good at an activity then say to someone else "Sure, you can do X, but are you real strong like this- {insert developed skill here}.

But thats just plain juvenile.

Like, sure you can farmers walk N body weight, but can you do THIS!?!

6 Likes

Now you’re confusing me.

Isn’t everyone special?

3 Likes

Not if they can’t take a five gallon bucket of concrete in each hand, run up a driveway, climb a ladder and pour it into the form for a set of steps. For like 5yds. of concrete.

I used to do that all the time, and if anybody else can’t they aren’t Real strong.

(totally being facetious about the whole subject)

6 Likes

That was some classic bum skipping from a living legend of the sport. A little form breakdown at the end but he held on for the finish. I think he’s poised to bring the sport back to its roots, before all the money from sponsors and TV deals messed everything up.

6 Likes

Tried those. Just ended up OHP a half filled keg instead.

You could probably write something pretty decent on that subject.

I’m pretty bad about writing on training in general, as my approach tends to be “I dunno; just do it or something”

4 Likes

Just make up some reasons why people should do it, throw in some affiliate links to useless supplements and add some heavily-photoshopped photos of vascular men with their shirts off.

You could be on to something. John Meadows normally goes, “I dunno, it just feels right.”

4 Likes

I love that about Meadows. "Everyone does it like that, but I like I think it feels better doing it like this. I don’t know why…?

And you try it and it totally does feel better.

4 Likes

@T3hPwnisher

Concerning odd object training.

I’m not sure if this would really count, but it’s something I’ve only seen when I used to compete in gymnastics, and I typically see it mostly in gymnasiums for the gymnast.

There’s this big foam block thing. That would help us with our backflips, layouts, roundoff into whatever else, and front flips. We called it the cheese block because that’s exactly what it looked like.

Something like this:

https://www.genevahc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/101.jpg

Forgive me for actually posting a block of cheese, but I just wanted to emphasize the shape.

I was rather young when they had us do this for some years following a state competition, so I never really understood what it was for.

Now that I think back on it I understood why they had us use that for things concerning flips. Is that what you were asking concerning odd object training? I’d like to try and discuss yet since you mentioning it piqued my interest. The thing with me calling this an “odd object”, is that I don’t particularly see it as odd, I just see it as a specific object for a type of training?

I’m sure if this is relevant enough for the topic at hand, but If its on the right track to you mentioning talk of odd object training, this is just something I’ve done in the past that I would think resembles uhh… odd lol.

Only true measure of strength:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjMkibwA1X-/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1xjd02fx3lgej

As is the new standard, I used Google to tell me what “really strong” was. This is the first non training video that popped up:

I also did "demonstration of strength " and got a woman doing 3 count DB shoulder press with 2lbs DBs.

So there’s your answers.

2 Likes

Odd object training in this instance would refer to the lifting and carrying of odd objects. Kegs, sandbags, stones (atlas and natural), firehydrants, etc.

Ahh okay.

Yeah he’ll be like, “Next up is the leg press. I want you to do sets of 8 until you reach a top weight, then do 8 reps to failure followed by 3 drops followed by 10 partials and then 5 singles done rest pause style then do a quad stretch immediately after that while facing Mecca. We’ll consider this 3 sets. Why? Don’t know. It just feels right.”

5 Likes

If you are sore all the time from working out every day, are you really strong?