Article: Crossfit vs GymJones

Just read this off of the Crossfit website - it’s a Crossfitter’s take on a GymJones seminar. Kind of interesting to consider some of the criticisms on both sides. Here’s the link:

I like the general idea of a more specialized adaptation of Crossfit ideas for specific endeavors, but it does sound like GymJones would benefit from bringing in a broader range of experts.

Thoughts?

I applogize if this isn’t on topic but it seems strange that there are so many people that get so wrapped up in names and styles and labels. It gets to the point where you’d think punches would get thrown had some of these “competeing” sides gotten together instead of bashing each other on the 'net.

Just my two cents on the matter, but it reminds me of the emo kid mentality of “I’m trying to be different, just like everyone else”. Meaning that I don’t get why such an individual thing like training has such rabid followers like some crazed cultists.

Derek,

I agree with you. I like a lot of what Crossfit and other similar approaches offer, but I get pretty sick of the bickering. In particular, it seems like any criticism or difference in opinion is immediately personalized and responded to in a snarky or downright hostile way, without any real consideration of its merits. It’s a shame when you think of how much that sort of approach holds things back.

Me? I’m glad to steal from whomever I can, and that’s the reason why I like this website so much – there’s an unusual degree of pragmatism and a broad range of mindsets represented.

All that being said, I do believe that there are likely to be overuse problems and potential injuries from form imperfections if you stick too closely to the Crossfit approach for any extended period of time. I like using it for fairly brief periods (3-5 weeks) before going back to my regular program.

And in principle I like that GymJones is looking at how to modify the strict GPP Crossfit approach for use with specific sports. Interesting.

I read about half the article. People have too much time on their hands.

I think Thib voiced his opinion on these kinds of training systems in his last on camera adventure with I, BODYBUILDER. His opinion means more to me than every Crossfitter who ever lived (except maybe Mike Burgener possibly excepted).

I missed that somehow. What did CT say?

And the marketing genius of Crossfit continues…

Problem: Knowledgeable people have visited your certification seminars and posted less than glowing reviews across the WWW.

Solution: Visit a seminar by the competition and rail them.

Crossfit continues to grow because it is the anti-strength training-strength training program. It presents itself as “better” and “above the fray”.

Truths: People see “hard work” and “sweat” as the ends instead of the means. Results don’t matter as long as they are working hard and sweating they are doing their best right?

Don’t confuse effort with results. You can’t train more than your ability to recover.

[quote]gspmirkoice wrote:
I missed that somehow. What did CT say?[/quote]

He said “Fuck Crossfit” in between 400 pound pin presses or something.

The problem people have with Crossfit is beyond me. They never talk to trainers in the community, only read what’s written by crazy posters on online boards. Alot of CF ‘certified’ trainers have moved away from the mainsite WODs and design programs tailored for specific clients goals. Anyone who thinks Crossfit is the best thing for bodybuilding is off by a large margin. They don’t want to make you a bodybuilder, so why would bodybuilders care about their training methodology?

There is alot of merit in the CF ideology, namely advocating HIIT in so many words, advocating clean eating and using alot of gymnastic and full body movements. Now, the uneducated detractor may decry the fact that somehow all crossfiters go ‘zone’ or ‘paleo’. This is not the case with alot of people who do crossfit! How is trying to eat less bread and more meat and vegetables bad?