Article: Baseball HOF & The PED Years

http://www.thecalifornian.com/article/20140108/SPORTS/301080020/Nightengale-Bonds-Clemens-belong-Hall-Fame

At this point, I don’t even care. Athletes use PEDs. Some get caught some do not. I wish pro-sports would just stop testing.

On a side note, if Pete Rose wasn’t allowed in than I don’t see why guys like Clemens should either.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
On a side note, if Pete Rose wasn’t allowed in than I don’t see why guys like Clemens should either. [/quote]

IMO…Pete Rose should be in.

On a side to your side: I read that the Pete Rose HOF gets more visitors every year than the actual HOF.

The HOF and voting process has become a complete joke. Especially as big as social media has gotten, you get these dipshit writers thinking “I bet I can get a lot of attention on Twitter if I say Babe Ruth was over-rated”.

Ridiculous.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
On a side note, if Pete Rose wasn’t allowed in than I don’t see why guys like Clemens should either. [/quote]

IMO…Pete Rose should be in.

On a side to your side: I read that the Pete Rose HOF gets more visitors every year than the actual HOF.
[/quote]

Nice! I agree, he should be in.

The classic argument I hear from Bonds supporters is that steroids can’t help you hit a baseball. One of the BALCO chemists, Patrick Arnold refutes this claim:

[i]Beyond just name dropping top baseball players in association with steroids, Arnold also provided some great insight into the frame of mind The Clear sets players in by saying, “The best way I can put it is it puts you in the zone and athletes know what that means. I liken it to an animal that’s, that’s hunting like a lion or something. The way a lion can stand there still and zone in on the kill.”

Costas asked Arnold if he believed that these steroids could not only add power resulting in home runs but also improved hand-eye coordination and bat speed which would result in a greater batting average to which Patrick remarked, “No doubt in mind, that’s what the research shows.” This was very interesting as it shattered the common ideology that steroids can’t help a person hit a baseball.[/i]

If there was no benefit to steroids and other substances then why would athletes even risk using? They’re not called PEDs for nothing.

My issue is not with the use PEDs, but having a level playing field. Either implement strict testing for everyone or stop testing altogether.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
My issue is not with the use PEDs, but having a level playing field. Either implement strict testing for everyone or stop testing altogether.[/quote]

Yup, this is me too.

Really, really just need to make steroids legal for fucking everything. It’s just asinine when these people in the media who have zero idea wtf they’re talking about try to discuss steroids.

[quote]csulli wrote:
Really, really just need to make steroids legal for fucking everything. It’s just asinine when these people in the media who have zero idea wtf they’re talking about try to discuss steroids.[/quote]

Every time I see “Bigger Stronger Faster” I think this.

The classic argument I hear from Bonds supporters is that steroids can’t help you hit a baseball. One of the BALCO chemists, Patrick Arnold refutes this claim:

[i]Beyond just name dropping top baseball players in association with steroids, Arnold also provided some great insight into the frame of mind The Clear sets players in by saying, “The best way I can put it is it puts you in the zone and athletes know what that means. I liken it to an animal that’s, that’s hunting like a lion or something. The way a lion can stand there still and zone in on the kill.”

Costas asked Arnold if he believed that these steroids could not only add power resulting in home runs but also improved hand-eye coordination and bat speed which would result in a greater batting average to which Patrick remarked, “No doubt in mind, that’s what the research shows.” This was very interesting as it shattered the common ideology that steroids can’t help a person hit a baseball.[/i]

If there was no benefit to steroids and other substances then why would athletes even risk using? They’re not called PEDs for nothing.

My issue is not with the use PEDs, but having a level playing field. Either implement strict testing for everyone or stop testing altogether.[/quote]

What a joke, “being in the zone” = having self confidence when you step to the plate. No matter how confident you are, roidz are not going to give you better hand eye coordination.

Interesting how most ppl dont care about the writers dumbass moral crusade against the evil roidz.

Pete Rose should not be allowed in. Betting not only on the sport you play/coach in but betting on the actual games you play/coach is too far across the line.

I could care less about ped users…seriously I couldn’t give 2 shits. However they’ll mostlikely not be voted in for a long time, because the dbags who do the voting have somehow convicnced themselves (and others) that if THEY took ped’s then they would automatically be pro-athletes, and it’s not fair they didnt.

Pete Rose NOT being in the hof is a joke. He’s one of the top 10, if not top 5 players of all time.

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
Pete Rose should not be allowed in. Betting not only on the sport you play/coach in but betting on the actual games you play/coach is too far across the line.

I could care less about ped users…seriously I couldn’t give 2 shits. However they’ll mostlikely not be voted in for a long time, because the dbags who do the voting have somehow convicnced themselves (and others) that if THEY took ped’s then they would automatically be pro-athletes, and it’s not fair they didnt. [/quote]

That’s exactly it. A bunch of dorks that got cut in high school so they just write about how overrated all the guys are that actually made it.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

What a joke, “being in the zone” = having self confidence when you step to the plate. No matter how confident you are, roidz are not going to give you better hand eye coordination.

Interesting how most ppl dont care about the writers dumbass moral crusade against the evil roidz.

[/quote]

How is this a joke? Other drugs have been found to improve concentration and coordination. This is one of chemists who helped make the stuff saying that the research showed improved hand-eye coordination. What is so unbelievable about that?

For me the shame isn’t that that guys that used PEDs aren’t getting in, it’s that guys that got CAUGHT using PEDs don’t get in. Ricky Henderson is in the Hall… anyone believe he didn’t use roids? The guy played with McGuire and Canseco for years. There are guys in the hall that have used, they just didn’t get caught.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[/quote]

How is this a joke? Other drugs have been found to improve concentration and coordination. This is one of chemists who helped make the stuff saying that the research showed improved hand-eye coordination. What is so unbelievable about that?[/quote]

The fact is that PEDs allow you to swing a bat faster, which allows you to wait on a pitch longer. At the major league level, those extra few miliseconds make a HUGE difference.

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[/quote]

How is this a joke? Other drugs have been found to improve concentration and coordination. This is one of chemists who helped make the stuff saying that the research showed improved hand-eye coordination. What is so unbelievable about that?[/quote]

The fact is that PEDs allow you to swing a bat faster, which allows you to wait on a pitch longer. At the major league level, those extra few miliseconds make a HUGE difference.
[/quote]

Bonds and Clemens were 2 of the greatest players of their generation, the roidz made them 2 of the greatest players of all time.

How many players were juiced up during this era? How many hit 70 homeruns…?

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
[/quote]

Pete Rose was betting on his own team to win. He did it as a manager and is punished as a player. I think it should be a requirement that coaches have to bet on their team to win. It would make things a lot more interesting. After the game they have to walk over to the other coach and pay them in front of everybody.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Pete Rose NOT being in the hof is a joke. He’s one of the top 10, if not top 5 players of all time.[/quote]
Yup, this.

Top 3 hitters of all time with the only argument being Ty Cobb and Ted Williams as to the order imo.

What does betting have to do with his play on the field?

If MLB turned a blind eye to steroid use in the 80’s and 90’s and didn’t do much about it, thereby tacitly approving it, why should the players who used or allegedly used be punished for it now? MLB and their affiliates certainly didn’t complain about all the publicity when the home-run records were being chased and broken.