Arthroscopic Surgery

My gf is going in for arthroscopic surgery to have a bone spur trimmed down in a couple weeks.

I searched but couldn’t really find much…Is there anything she could do to expedite the recovery from this? Either before or after the surgery?

[quote]DK wrote:
My gf is going in for arthroscopic surgery to have a bone spur trimmed down in a couple weeks.

I searched but couldn’t really find much…Is there anything she could do to expedite the recovery from this? Either before or after the surgery?[/quote]

Stretch as possible pre-op, loosen up. Avoid doing anything that’s going to tighten up the structures to be scoped.

If it works for her as it did for me, she’ll receive detailed instructions on post-operative care shortly before the surgery. Her first appointment with a PT will likely also be scheduled at that time.

Post-op therapy begins very soon following surgery, typically about 48 hrs, after first changing the dressings applied following surgery.

Depending on what happens during surgery, when she checks in for her first follow up with the surgeon there may be amended instructions.

The best advice is simply to do the recommended physical therapy and work closely with her therapist to get the program adapted to her, so as to produce the fastest progress. Your PT is your coach.

What she’s sure to notice is a profound reduction in ROM. The professionals agree it’s puzzling how big the effect is, considering how minimal the trauma. The first step in therapy will be to work for ROM, and the next step will be strengthening.

Make sure it’s a good doctor! :wink:

[quote]Vyapada wrote:
Make sure it’s a good doctor! ;)[/quote]

That do help, for sure. But it’s just as important to have a good PT, one you can have a good working relationship with.

Thanks for the tips…I guess I forgot to say where it was going to be. The bone spur is on her shoulder.

I’ve tapered her lifting down for the week preceding and not having her lift at all the couple days before the surgery. She is running though the two days before it, couldn’t talk her out of that.

I’ll have to be sure she stays stretched out then. Besides not tightening up the area, being loose, and working with her PT, any nutrition-type things that would help that you know of?