T Nation

Arthroscopic Sugery

I am having arthroscopic sugery on December 21 to repair a torn labrum.

I am asking if anyone has had this procedure done on them.
About how long were you in the hospital for?
I know I will be put under, but will I have a cathoder(sp) put in?

If anyone has a personal expirience with this please let know how it went.

My brother just hyad his kneecap removed.
He was walking (albeit gingerly in a legbrace) the next day.

I don’t think you have too much to worry about.

Well I know what the reocvery is going to be like, it was described to me very well. Just wanting to kow personal experiences of people who have had this done.

Like how you felt when you woke up, how long you were there, what you remeber, and if it hurt at all.

[quote]WhiteLable412 wrote:

If anyone has a personal expirience with this please let know how it went.[/quote]

i had the exact same surgery. I was out of the hospital the same day after the surgery. i am not sure what a cathoder is.

it is supposed to take a year to return back to full strength afterwards. it took me far longer than that to be comfortable with my shoulder. definitely do rehab exercises with a physical therapist after you have recovered sufficiently from the surgery. pm me with any questions.

[quote]WhiteLable412 wrote:

If anyone has a personal expirience with this please let know how it went.[/quote]

I had the same sugery November 9th. The first thing they did was take my blood pressure and hook me up to an IV witch sent in sugar water and some anti-bodies.

Once you got into the operating room the anastilialogist(sp) takes a needle and puts it into your neck untill he finds your shoulder nerve. This just feels like a little pintch, then you feal a jult and your arm jumps you and thats how they numbed my shoulder. Then i was put under.

When i woke up i was very thirsty and they gave me ice cubes for some reason. After that happened i went into my room in the hospital and they had me hooked up to this ice machine thing that was iceing my shoulder. I stayed in the room for maybee 3 hours and they gave me stuff to eat like ceral and so juice. The aneastia sort of makes your really aggervated. You will need someone to drive you home probaly.

They had me on viciadin 5mg’s for a while but i ended up taked 4 advil along with that. I dont know if they will give you a ice machine thing but if they do you have to sleep with it the first 2 nights and wear it a couple hours a day.

The pain was really only bad the first night i didn’t sleep to much at all. I was taking the pain killers every 3 hours. But once i took the advil too the pain wasn’t as bad.

I got the surgery on a thursday and was able to go back to school on a monday.
They put you in a sling for 4-6 weeks i’m at week 3 right now and i feel like i can go without the sling already. I started phyical therapy today and so far they just streched me out and i did some isometric rotator cuff work.

hope that helped. and good luck