Artem's Log

Hey, I’m 15 and I have been training since October, so I’m about 6 months into training and about 1 month into being much more serious about training, nutrition, and all aspects of progressing.

Workout Routine:
Week1
Monday: back/arms
Tuesday: legs/abs
Wednesday: chest/shoulders
Thursday: legs/abs
Friday: back/arms

Week 2
Monday: chest/shoulders
Tuesday: legs
Wednesday: back/arms
Thursday: legs
Friday: chest/shoulders

In detail:

Week 1
Monday: back/arms
2x8 palms facing me Pull Ups
2x8 Palms facing away Pull Ups
3x8 horizontal to the floor, hands parallel to the floor grip, machine Rows
3x8 horizontal to the floor, hands vertical to the floor grip, machine Rows
4x30 lower back hyperextensions, holding plate in hands to chest

3x8 barbell Curls
3x8 Hamer Curls
3x8 dumbell full arm Curls
3x8 dumbell Preacher Curls
3x8 closed grip EZ Grip bar curls
3x8 wide grip EZ Bar curls

3x8 closed grip Skull Crushers
3x8 cable Tricep extensions with bar, hands parallel to the floor
3x8 cable Tricep extensions with rope, hands vertical to the floor

3x14 behind the back EZ Curl bar closed grip Wrist Curls
3x14 barbell reverse wrist curls
4x14 one-legged downward leg pushes, Squat movement but no stress on the spine, like a Kickback
4x14 seated one-legged Curls
4x14 seated reverse leg Curls
4x30 one-legged standing Calf Raises on a platform holding a wall for support, weight belt if needed
4x14 outer Thigh Abductions
4x14 inner Thigh abductions

2xMax Sit Ups
2xMax Leg Raises
2xMax elbow to knee Crunches
2xMax Crunches

Wednesday: chest/shoulders
3x8 dumbbell Flat Bench
3x8 dumbell Inclined Bench
3x8 dumbell Declined Bench
3x8 machine Flys

3x8 machine seated Shoulder Press
3x8 shoulder width grip, seated, behind the head cable Pull Downs
3x8 palms facing me dumbbell Shoulder Press
3x8 dumbbell arms straight Side Raises
3x8 dumbbell arms straight Front Raises
same as before

Friday: back/arms
same as before

Saturday: abs/cardio
2xMax Sit Ups
2xMax Leg Raises
2xMax elbow to knee Crunches
2xMax Crunches
5 3-4 minute heavy bag kickboxing sessions
1 hour of HIIT cardio on the elliptical

Sunday: cardio or off
5 3-4 minute heavy bag kickboxing sessions
1 hour of HIIT cardio on the elliptical

Week 2
Monday: chest/shoulders
3x8 dumbbell Flat Bench
3x8 dumbell Inclined Bench
3x8 declined Bench
3x8 machine Flys

3x8 machine seated Shoulder Press
3x8 shoulder width grip, seated, behind the head cable Pull Downs
3x8 palms facing me dumbbell Shoulder Press
3x8 dumbbell arms straight Side Raises
3x8 dumbbell arms straight Front Raises

same as before

Wednesday: back/arms
2x8 palms facing me Pull Ups
2x8 Palms facing away Pull Ups
3x8 horizontal to the floor, hands parallel to the floor grip, machine Rows
3x8 horizontal to the floor, hands vertical to the floor grip, machine Rows
4x30 lower back hyperextensions, holding plate in hands to chest

3x8 barbell Curls
3x8 Hamer Curls
3x8 wide grip EZ Bar curls

3x8 closed grip Skull Crushers
3x8 cable Tricep extensions with bar, hands parallel to the floor
3x8 cable Tricep extensions with rope, hands vertical to the floor

3x14 behind the back EZ Curl bar closed grip Wrist Curls
3x14 barbell reverse wrist curls

same as before

Friday: chest/shoulders
same as before

Saturday: abs/cardio
same as before

Sunday: cardio/off
same as before

Diet: mostly meat, vegetables, sometimes cereal. Fish, chicken breast, any meat really, most vegetables. No added ingredients, drink only water and skim milk with cereal.

Supplements:
-Colostrum Gold once daily, 1 tsp before a meal
-Cod Liver Oil once daily, 1 tsp after a meal
-BCAAs 3 capsules, 3 times a day: before a workout, after a workout, before bed; between meals on off days
-Buffered Vitamin C, 2 capsules, 3 times a day between meals
-Creatine, 1 tsp with water after workouts, no loading phase
-Protein powder, 4 tbsp with water after workouts

Goals: size, strength, low body fat percentage, overall health, proportion

Current numbers that I am using to progress with 3x8:
Chest:
-dumbell Flat Bench: 55lb dumbell/arm
-dumbell Inclined Bench: 45lb dumbell/arm
-dumbell Declined Bench: 50lb dumbell/arm
-machine Flyes: 160lbs

Back:
-Palms away Pull Ups: 8 first set, 7 second set
-Palms to me Pull Ups: 6 first set, 5 second set
-horizontal to the floor, hands parallel to the floor grip, machine Rows: 105lbs 1st set, 90lbs 2nd and 3rd set.
-horizontal to the floor, hands vertical to the floor grip, machine Rows: 90lbs first set, 75lbs 2nd and 3rd set.
-lower back hyperextensions, holding plate in hands to chest: 45lb plate to chest

Shoulders:
-machine seated Shoulder Press: 60lbs
-shoulder width grip, seated, behind the head -cable Pull Downs: 150lbs
-palms facing me dumbbell Shoulder Press: 30lbs/arm
-dumbbell arms straight Side Raises: 15lbs arm first two sets, 10lbs/arm third set
-dumbbell arms straight Front Raises: 15lbs/arm first two sets, 10lbs/arm third set

Arms:
-barbell Curls: 45lbs+weight of straight bar
-Hammer Curls: 30lbs/arm
-dumbell full arm Curls: 30lbs/arm first set, 25lbs/arm 2nd and 3rd set

-closed grip Skull Crushers: 35lbs+weight of EZ Grip bar
-cable Tricep extensions with bar, hands parallel to the floor: 120lbs
-cable Tricep extensions with rope, hands vertical to the floor: 110lbs

-barbell Wrist Curls: 40lbs + weight of straight bar
-barbell reverse Wrist Curls: 40lbs + weight of bar

Legs: done with 4x14
-one-legged downward leg pushes, Squat movement, like a Kickback: 165lbs
-seated Hamstring Leg Curls: 135lbs
-seated reverse leg Curls: ____
-one-legged standing Calf Raises on a platform holding a wall for support, weight belt if needed: body weight
-outwards Thigh Abductions: 45lbs
-inwards Thigh abductions: 105lbs

I just started working my legs again last week because of a back issue. I’ve had 3 leg workouts so far and I’m still figuring out what weight I’m using for everything.
I’ll be updating this log when anything changes and when I move up in weight.

4/27/08:

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/3923/1001961mp3.jpg

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5462/1001962kf1.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5599/1001963yv1.jpg

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7394/1001965bs0.jpg

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/33/1001966na2.jpg

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/509/1001968ag7.jpg

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/7977/1001973fi6.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2213/1001975nk5.jpg

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1865/1001982oj4.jpg

Update:
-Palms away Pull Ups: From 8 first set, 7 second set to 8 both sets

-Palms to me Pull Ups: From 6 first set, 5 second set to 7 first set 6 second set

-horizontal to the floor, hands vertical to the floor grip, machine Rows: From 90lbs first set, 75lbs 2nd and 3rd set to 90 all 3 sets.

Updates:
-one-legged downward leg pushes, Squat movement, like a Kickback: From 165lbs to 180lbs

-Leg Curls: 135lbs
-Reverse Leg Curls: 135lbs

A couple thoughts:

1. You’ve got way too many exercises for only having trained for six months.

2. I’m not too sure on what your body can handle, but you might have too much volume as well.

3. You don’t have enough rest in your week (1 day each week away from moving weight isn’t enough- 3 or 4 is typical).

4. How many calories and grams of protein are you getting? These numbers are actually much more important than your supplement regimen.

I mean, if you’re getting great results, by all means keep at it. I think though, there might be some ways to tweak what you’re doing to improve it.

Right on man definitely keep up the good work. You got some work to do on your legs :stuck_out_tongue: but you are definitely putting on some muscle.

Eat and lift and you will be happy with the results. You got a long way to go but your building a foundation.

Keep it up man, it’s up to you but if you keep a personal log on what foods you eat it will help to show you if you are eating enough of each macronutrient. This will also allow you to post how many cals/protein/carbs/fats you are consuming each day for us to see and help critique.

Gerdy

[quote]Otep wrote:
A couple thoughts:

1. You’ve got way too many exercises for only having trained for six months.[/quote]

What does the time training have to do with how many exercises somebody does? Imo its all about knowing what your body can handle. Imo if your making gains off of a program then stick with it, if you are over training (i hate using that word) then you will know because you wont make any progress.

[quote]2) I’m not too sure on what your body can handle, but you might have too much volume as well.

1. You don’t have enough rest in your week (1 day each week away from moving weight isn’t enough- 3 or 4 is typical).[/quote]

yes as I said before artem, and now by looking at your pics, I would say to rest on both sat and sunday. Maybe light activity on one of the days but you do not need all the cardio and ab work on the weekends. Use this time to rest and grow. With your physique if you are working hard throughout the other 5 days and resting on the weekends you will pack on more muscle :wink:

Very true.

keep it up dood!

Gerdy

Here’s what I usually eat:
breakfast (7:00am):
1 bowl of GoLean cereal with skim milk
OR
2 hard boiled eggs with some vegetables

lunch (11:00am):
some chicken breast and vegetables

before workout (3:30pm):
Zone Perfect nutrition bar

~30 minutes after workout, ~5-5:20pm:
4btsp of Protein Powder with 1tsp of Creatine in water.

dinner (anywhere between 6 to 8):
whatever my mom makes, but I try to keep it to fish or meat of some sort with no added ingredients and cooked in olive oil. vegetables

If I’m hungry, I’ll maybe grab some vegetable or leftover chicken or whatever an hour or two before bed.

Am I eating too much/too little/the right stuff?

[quote]Artem wrote:
Here’s what I usually eat:
breakfast (7:00am):
1 bowl of GoLean cereal with skim milk
OR
2 hard boiled eggs with some vegetables

lunch (11:00am):
some chicken breast and vegetables

before workout (3:30pm):
Zone Perfect nutrition bar

~30 minutes after workout, ~5-5:20pm:
4btsp of Protein Powder with 1tsp of Creatine in water.

dinner (anywhere between 6 to 8):
whatever my mom makes, but I try to keep it to fish or meat of some sort with no added ingredients and cooked in olive oil. vegetables

If I’m hungry, I’ll maybe grab some vegetable or leftover chicken or whatever an hour or two before bed.

Am I eating too much/too little/the right stuff?[/quote]

Where is your carbs? And I don’t think you are eating enough.

Breakfast start with whole milk or 2% not skim. GOLEAN CEREAL come on bud, your joking right? lol It sounds like something your mom should eat not you! lol I’m just giving you sh*t man.

Try a bowl of oatmeal and 3-4 whole eggs (can be boiled if you like)

add a carb source to your lunch.

get rid of the bar and have an apple with about 20g of your protein shake.

pwo seems fine.

eat what your mom makes for dinner.

Try fruit and cottage chees for a snack and the cottage cheese before bed.

These are just a few improvements. I think you need more carbs/calories and try and shoot for 1.5-2g of protein per lb of bodyweight.

LIfting and growing will build muscle and you will lean out at your age. You do not have enough muscle yet to worry about low carbing it or trying to get ripped. Just focus your main goal on building muscle until you are in the upper 100’s or 200+ before you worry about dieting.

don’t worry I’M HERE FOR YA BUD! lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Gerdy

okay i just went back and re-read your workout…dood…you got waay too many workouts…was this before or after we talked about making one?

Gerdy

That’s the same stuff I linked you.

Monday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps.
Tuesday: Legs, Abs, Cardio(30min.)
Wednesday: Back, Biceps.
Thursday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps.
Friday: Legs, Abs, Cardio(30min.)
Saturday: Back, Biceps, Cardio(30 min.)

Chest: Barbell or DB presses (incline, decline flat), Flys.
Shoulders: DB presses, Lateral Raises, Bent over Lateral Raises.
Triceps: Skull Crushers, Tricep Rope pulldowns.

Legs: Squats, Leg Presses, Leg Extensions, Calf Raises.

Back: Deadlifts, Pulldowns, Cable rows, Bent over BB rows.
Biceps: DB curls, preacher curls.

Goals: loose fat wieght, get ripped looking.

Height: 6’0’’
Weight: 210lbs.
Body Fat%: prob like 20+ :frowning:

Is my program pretty decent? Let me know thanks.

[quote]Artem wrote:
That’s the same stuff I linked you.[/quote]

I think you added exercises, I don’t think that I would allow you to do soo many exercises per muscle. I tell everybody that 3-4 exercises is max for most body parts.

stuff like this is a lil too much

[quote]3x8 barbell Curls
3x8 Hamer Curls
3x8 wide grip EZ Bar curls [/quote]

pick 3 and go with them. lol Id do barbell, hammer, and preacher.

Your exercises, etc are fine but I’d recommend only doing 3 exercises for each part of the arm 3/bi 3/tri and maybe 4-5 exercises for back or chest.

Legs because they are such a big muscle can handle more stressors or exercises. It is very hard to overtrain legs so your leg day is fine.

I’d change up the rest tho cause I think you have too many exercises. If you are doing heavy weight with enough rest between sets there is no way you are staying to your hour workout cap.

Gerdy

Gerdy

[quote]JPB24 wrote:
Monday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps.
Tuesday: Legs, Abs, Cardio(30min.)
Wednesday: Back, Biceps.
Thursday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps.
Friday: Legs, Abs, Cardio(30min.)
Saturday: Back, Biceps, Cardio(30 min.)

Chest: Barbell or DB presses (incline, decline flat), Flys.
Shoulders: DB presses, Lateral Raises, Bent over Lateral Raises.
Triceps: Skull Crushers, Tricep Rope pulldowns.

Legs: Squats, Leg Presses, Leg Extensions, Calf Raises.

Back: Deadlifts, Pulldowns, Cable rows, Bent over BB rows.
Biceps: DB curls, preacher curls.

Goals: loose fat wieght, get ripped looking.

Height: 6’0’’
Weight: 210lbs.
Body Fat%: prob like 20+ :frowning:

Is my program pretty decent? Let me know thanks.[/quote]

this is Artem’s log, don’t hijack it. Do some research and/or make your own post. I don’t want to be a dick but it’s rude to hijack somebody elses thread.

Gerdy

Updates:
-one-legged downward leg pushes, Squat movement, like a Kickback: From 180lbs to 195lbs

I’m 1 plate from maxing the machine, so I’m not sure what I’m going to do after I can do 4x12 of 210lbs

-horizontal to the floor, hands parallel to the floor grip, machine Rows: From 105lbs 1st set, 90lbs 2nd and 3rd set to 105lbs all 3 sets

-horizontal to the floor, hands vertical to the floor grip, machine Rows: From 90lbs first set, 75lbs 2nd and 3rd set to 90lbs all 3 sets.

-lower back hyperextensions, holding plate in hands to chest: From 45lb plate to chest to 55lb dumbell to chest.

Updates:
-one-legged downward leg pushes, Squat movement, like a Kickback: From 4x14 of 195lbs to 4x15 of 205lbs

-lower back hyperextensions, holding plate in hands to chest: From 55lb dumbell to chest to 65lb dumbell to chest.

-dumbell side shoulder raises: from 3x8 of 10lbs/arm to 3x8 of 15lbs/arm

-dumbell front shoulder raises: from 3x8 of 10lbs/arm to 3x8 of 15lbs/arm

-leg extensions: from 4x14 of 135lbs to 4x14 of 150lbs

-Hamstring leg curls: from 4x14 of 135lbs to 4x14 of 150lbs

Updates:
hands perpendicular to the floor rows: from 90lbs all 3 sets to 105 1st set, 90 2nd and 3rd set

I feel my back getting a lot stronger. I did 2x8 for palms out pull ups and 1 off from 2x8 for palms in and felt like the reps were much cleaner than they had been before when I was really struggling sloppily for the last 2 of each.

My rows also feel a lot stronger and I felt like I could have done more sets.
I’m really glad that my back is progressing because I’m trying to strengthen my back to have better posture and so that my shoulders won’t be pulled forward when I get stronger.

Lower back hyperextensions are going up every workout and I’ll post which weight I plateau at when I do. I’ve gone from a 45lb plate to a 70lb dumbell so far.

Updates:
-Glute one-legged leg pushbacks: From 4x15 to 4x17 with 205 lbs.

-leg extensions: 4x14 from 150lbs to 165lbs

-leg curls: 4x14 from 150lbs to 165lbs

-dumbell flat bench: 3x8 from 55lbs/arm to 60lbs/arm

-dumbell inclined bench: 3x8 from 45lbs/arm to 50lbs/arm

-dumbell declined bench: 3x8 from 50lbs/arm to 55lbs/arm

-machine shoulder press: 3x8 from 60lbs to 70lbs
I actually tried 70 for the first time today and did all 3x8, so I might try 80 next time.

I’m thinking of moving from machine flyes to dumbell flyes. good/bad idea?

Updates:
-Glute one-legged pushbacks: from 4x17 of 210lbs to 4x20 of 210lbs

-leg extensions: from 4x14 of 165lbs to 4x14 of 180lbs

-leg curls: from 4x14 of 165lbs to 4x14 of 180lbs

copying what I wrote to Gerdy:

I signed up at Fitness 19 and worked out there for the first time this Friday. To be honest, I like my school’s gym a lot more. Fitness 19 has all the new equipment and all that, but I just don’t like it.
For one thing, they have all of these machines that I’ve never seen before. For instance, they have like 5 different rowing machines and then a cable rowing machine. I did my rows on one and really did not like it. It really limited my range of motion, forced me to lean forward when I like to lean back when doing machine rows using my lower back, and it forced me into a path of movement.

Also, get this, they don’t have one pull up bar…what the hell. They have like 6 different machines to do abs, but no pull up bars. A lot of the machines have handles for pull ups, but they are all at some weird angles, either tilted up, down, or to one side. Can’t I just do straight hands towards and and away from me pull ups?..

So I did my pull ups on whichever handles were closest to being straight. I’m not sure what to do though. Is it fine to do pull ups with these weird grips or should I adjust my routine somehow? I’m working out here all summer.

Also, they have pre-weighted curl bars, but it only goes by 10s. It’s going to be hard to progress if I have to move up by 10lbs each time. I’m used to going up by 5s. I could use a 45lb Oly bar and do my curls and whatnot with that, but that’s a pain and will probably annoy people.

They have squat racks, a leg press where pads go on your shoulders and you squat that, and then a leg press where you lie down and press a platform with weight on it. I’m thinking that the platform leg press wouldn’t put stress on my spine. I’m going to ask my doctor if I can do that. What do you think about that leg press? If I do that, I could stop doing the Glute machine and having old ladies in sport bras asking to work in with me.

I’ve been doing kind of a mini bulk cycle for the past few weeks. I’ve gained the ability to eat a ton in the past month or so. Even if I’m not hungry, I want food sometimes. Sometimes I can feel that the food I just ate is being digested and used somehow and that I need some more and sometimes I can feel that if I eat now, it’s just going to go to fat. I have no idea and I can’t explain it.

My planned lunch would be a tupperware container of skinless, unseasoned, grilled chicken and veggies. So for lunch, I’d eat that and then go buy like 3 PB and Js, eat those and still feel like I could have a good 4 more. I can just eat a lot and not be full. People keep asking me if I’m stoned at lunch because I come to the table with a stack of PB and Js and sometimes get another and eat it on my way to 4th period Chem. I get the wheat bread ones. Then I’ll eat more than usual at home too.

I still eat clean. I have just been eating more than usual/“planned” for a few weeks. I’m probably going to return to my “planned” eating schedule once school is over and do that for a few weeks to lean down a bit. I didn’t gain a very noticeable amount of fat during my period of eating more, but I’m fairly positive that if I maintain a strict eating plan, I’ll have abs in a few weeks. I lose fat fast if I follow only my planned meals for a while.

So yea, I think that’s all I’ve got to say/ask for input on for now.
Thanks for any input, peace