ART Vs. Graston for Injuries?

Was going to an ART PT for awhile and can’t say I got much out of it.
Going to a Graston guy now - scraping down the muscle with those steel instruments.

Anyone have experience with what works best with all the chiropractic/massage type treatments out there??

I’ve got an excellent ART guy, unfortunately he’s in the next city.

I’ve tried a number of massage types. They are hit and miss. I suspect there is more money in it for them marketing themselves as a salon type treatment for rich women than as a form of sports medicine. I’ve had several tell me that they are worn out after working on big guys. If you look around you can probably find a good one.

What do you think of Graston so far. After reading this thread I googled it and turns out there is a chiropractor who does it right up the street from me.

Hurts like hell, bruised up bad the first day. I just started last week - I’ll keep you posted.
You know that stuff goes - the worse it hurts the better it works.
Gotta break up that fascia.

You Tube Graston and you can see some videos of the proceedure. I had the ITB done and lower spinae erector.

Been doing Graston now for 6 sessions. Working on shoulders, rhomboids, and especially right elbow (tendonosis). I definitely got pretty bruised up w/ the bigger muscle groups, but the tricep area not so bad.
You will feel the muscles (first couple of times) feel like gravel. Lots of bound up tissue. The more you go, the better it gets. Nothing helped my elbow (negative only movements, ultrasound, cortisone shots (very temporary), etc…). As long as I train smart I can use the elbow pretty well. Wish I knew about this two years ago. Graston works.

I am a triathlete, so I accrue many overused muscles. I go to a great sports chiropractor who does both graston and ART.

When I had achilles inflammation, the chiro did ART on my calf, then graston down on the tendon. This was a good combination… the ART cleared up the muscle tightness and the graston helped clear out the inflammation.

Right now I have inflammation in my pes anserine. My chiro went to town on the bottom of my VMO with graston technique. The whole area was sore the next day, but the pes anserine is pain free after just one treatment.

That’s my experience. I find that ART is best for tight muscles, and graston is best for concentrated inflammation and scar tissue.

I have been doing PT for ruptured bicep tendon. So far the Graston technique has worked well the first couple of times it left me black and blue, it’s not so bad now. They use ultrasound in conjunction with graston, Tendons have poor blood flow it seems to take forever. It has been going on a year and I’m still not 100%

[quote]jeffthemaximum wrote:
I am a triathlete, so I accrue many overused muscles. I go to a great sports chiropractor who does both graston and ART.

When I had achilles inflammation, the chiro did ART on my calf, then graston down on the tendon. This was a good combination… the ART cleared up the muscle tightness and the graston helped clear out the inflammation.

Right now I have inflammation in my pes anserine. My chiro went to town on the bottom of my VMO with graston technique. The whole area was sore the next day, but the pes anserine is pain free after just one treatment.

That’s my experience. I find that ART is best for tight muscles, and graston is best for concentrated inflammation and scar tissue. [/quote]

Hey Jeff, you wouldn’t happen to be in the Tampa area would you? I noticed there is an ART/Graston guy here named Tommy Rhee. I am currently seeing a DC in Sarasota that is doing ART on my psoas, illiacus, TFL, and ITB, I have definitely been able to tell a difference. I was thinking of trying Graston, but feel it may be too aggressive for me since I really don’t have any inflammation. Appreciate any advice you can offer.