Arrgh, Long Arms Suck!

For some real poos; suspiciously his avatar looks like the one on the frontpage…

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
waylo wrote:
i have the same exact problem with my wrists ( thumb to index ), and also have the same pain occur when benching heavy and doing barbell curls. i always start with a good stretch on my wrists to loosen them up a bit, then i wrap them before i do those exercises that are painful, sometimes ill do the first set without them just to see how it feels. been wrapping for about 6 months now and i have to say my bench and BB curl have increased significantly and so has my wrist strength. good luck buddy

Dude, I’m a pretty open minded guy, but…

Your avatar is bullshit, literally. You need to take that shit down, or not post, because good god dude, wtf is wrong with you?[/quote]

LOL at the seriousness and f you for making me curious and seeing that. Reminds me of my little sister, who for some odd reason took a pic of her turds. I was showing my ex-girlfriend some family pics and next thing you know a pic of turds covered the whole fuckin’ screen. I didn’t know what to say…

Interestingly enough I’ve been drinking a lot of milk lately and my forearms don’t bother me on barbell curls, but now I just don’t go over a 3rm on bench and my wrists don’t feel too bad.

My wingspan is 76.5" and my bicep is 18.25 and wrist is 7.5". Not bad, my numbers are decent and long arms filled out are better than short little arms, well at least there is more room for growth.

You have short muscle bellies and long tendons in your forearms, so all the mass is situated close to the elbow. That creates the visual contrast between the proximal end of the forearm and the wrist.

I agree enough bullshit I had the same problem till this past year i started to work in wrist curls and I use hand grips. This has worked for me. I think using wrist supports are fine but when are they a crutch? I think you need to treat the underlying problem first. And use wrist supports if you need them till you get stronger. Do you work in you
re forearms? If you do, this will not help you. (in that case id try glucosimeane to help cushion the joints and listen to kingbeef323 you can always use the extra calcium.)

hope this helped :slight_smile:

I do the same on Bench…holding it for a few seconds to ease the pain but are you rolling the bar back in your hands, like in the crease? I started using suicide grip lately which makes it easier to keep your wrist straight and taking almost all the pressure off. Don’t think i’ll be going back to a normal grip.

Hmm, until I read this thread, I thought my arms were pretty long at 71 inches at 6 foot tall. I’ve got small wrist syndrome too (6.5 inch).

Start using a thick bar on everything you can, helps a lot.

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
I do the same on Bench…holding it for a few seconds to ease the pain but are you rolling the bar back in your hands, like in the crease? I started using suicide grip lately which makes it easier to keep your wrist straight and taking almost all the pressure off. Don’t think i’ll be going back to a normal grip.[/quote]

Suicide grip? Is that when your thumbs are flared out?

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
I do the same on Bench…holding it for a few seconds to ease the pain but are you rolling the bar back in your hands, like in the crease? I started using suicide grip lately which makes it easier to keep your wrist straight and taking almost all the pressure off. Don’t think i’ll be going back to a normal grip.[/quote]

Yeah, I have thought about going to a suicide grip lately. I was taught to NEVER do it, but the guy that introduced me to lifting was a big boned son of a bitch, so he probably never had wrist problems. I will have to try it out soon.

Suicide grip? Hell no, don’t need another experience with dropping weight on myself.

Its really not that bad. Its comfortable, and I don’t see the bar going anywhere, but I would say that chalk is important.

And yes, Mateus, it is with thumbs flared out, not wrapped around bar.

Its either that or fucked wrists.

5’7" with a 64.5" wingspan. I’m in the same boat as you OP, my wrists are just barely 6" and heavy benching is painful

I know this subject’s been touched on already but I’d be interested to know if you guys make any alterations to exercises because of your arm length?

Personally, I read somewhere that using a narrower grip when benching can help your shoulders. I find this does help me, as one of my shoulders gives me a bit of grief with a more standard grip width.

Yeah I use a narrower grip on flat bench than incline for the sake of my shoulders, much less stress on the rotator cuff that way.

I think that I am soon going to adopt Prof X’s philosophy of HS machines. Stupid arms.

[quote]kingbeef323 wrote:
Mateus wrote:
kingbeef323 wrote:
Mateus wrote:
kingbeef323 wrote:
I measured my wingspan compared to a friend of mine today at the gym. I’m 5’10 with a 78" wingspan, he’s 6’4 with a 76" wingspan, wtf? If wingspan is supposed to match up with height, then I’m 5’10 with the arm length of a 6’6 person. I have another friend who’s a bit shorter than me (around 5’7, I think) and I’ve always sworn his arms were bigger than mine. Measured his today, barely over 16" vs my 17.4", gay… I’m probably going to have to get them to 19" for them to look big to me.

On another note, do my forearms look too small for my upper arms or is it just me? Or is it the fact that my wrists are only 6" around that makes them look so small to me.

Join the club…although your wingspan seems freakishly long. I am 6’ 1" and have a 75" wingspan. My wrists are very small, I can touch my thumb to my index finger around my right wrist. Not sure what all that means if anything…

Ha, I can get my thumb almost an inch overlapping my index finger around the wrist :frowning:

DAMN! Do your wrists/forearms hurt when benching heavy because they are so small? Mine really hurt, like they are going to break, when I lift more than 225. At 315 I think they are crumbling to fucking pieces under my skin.

Where about in Florida are you from? Moved from West Palm Beach to Tennessee a few years ago.

Yup, my whole forearm hurts after benching anything over 235. When I rack the bar I keep my hands wrapped around it for a few seconds to let the pain dissipate. This is also why I’m scared to try to bench anything heavier than 275, because I’ve dropped the bar on myself before a little over a year ago benching 195 where my wrists gave out. I also used to get a good amount of pain doing heavy barbell curls, but not so much lately (wonder if it has anything to do with drinking a lot of milk lately).

Currently living in Jacksonville.[/quote]

I have to keep my hand on the bar after doing preacher curls to let the pain dissipate. I have ~17inch arms with ~6.5 inch wrists.

[quote]majicka wrote:
I know this subject’s been touched on already but I’d be interested to know if you guys make any alterations to exercises because of your arm length?

Personally, I read somewhere that using a narrower grip when benching can help your shoulders. I find this does help me, as one of my shoulders gives me a bit of grief with a more standard grip width.[/quote]

I like a closer grip on overhead press variations – maybe an inch inside a “regular” grip. If I go wider than that even with a relatively load weight, my shoulders immediately start hurting.

My ‘close grip’ bench press is my middle fingers on the inside markers. If I move my hands in closer than that, my wrists are killing me.

For flat / incline barbell press I’ll usually go standard or just wider than standard.

I’m 6’4" with just above a 79" wingspan.

What do you guys mean when you say wrist support? I’m quite interested in them, CGBPs kill my wrists