T Nation

Arrgh...Blasted Love Handles

I’ve had these little buggers for as long as I can remember. Little handles flopping about along with a pot belly. Future indicator of possible heart disease or diabetes?

Ehh…anyway, I made the mistake of training them with side raises and side bends. And actually ended up building muscle there (visible stretch marks).

This was a temporary fix. Now I can’t seem to loose that flab around my waist. It’s funny though, cos I can clearly see veins running through my arms, delts and chest. Even through my quads and calves. How in they hell can I get rid of these demons?

I’ve tried just about everything diet-wise.

Lose more bodyfat, do cardio, lower your calories 500 below maintnance and diet until your reach the level you want to reach…

Maybe add a fat burner to speed up the process which austin has outlined. Those last couple of pounds are the hardest to get rid of. But it is possible. Best of luck. Do not give up.

[quote]Sepulnation wrote:

I’ve tried just about everything diet-wise.[/quote]

Except the right one, obviously. Lay out your diet for us, and your body specs.

Supra iliac (love handles) is related to insulin sensitivity. Your carb intake is more than likely too high for your carb tolerance.

I agree with Kate. I found a lot of us (meaning men who weigh 210ish or less ripped tend to take in too much protein which effect insulin sensitivity as well. I used to be a believer in 400g protein but I’m not pro size at 10% or less BF% like pros who are 240-270 ripped at 5%. We only need about 23-260g protein per day as regular big guys not freakish pros. This has helped me a lot in my dieting this go around.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but it’s your diet. Anyone who says they’ve “tried everything” usually hasn’t, or at least they haven’t tried anything long enough to let it work. I actually have pretty developed obliques from years of heavy deads and squats, but even though I will never have a tiny waist, I’d be an idiot to not admit that they have gotten smaller with adjustments to my diet (and stopped doing exercises where I neede more stabilization).

I’m assuming of course that you are actually talking about thick muscles, and not just being pudgy. If you need to lose fat, it’s irrelevant that you have thin skin and thus appear vascular in other areas.

S

Generally, if you haven’t lost bodyfat up to single digits it’s really hard to get rid of them, they are for most the toughest area. Consider that you have stored fat there for years, it’ll be harder to transport and be used as energy. Dieting properly and being patient are the key.

According to the middle-aged housewives at my gym, just do some side bends, you’ll be all set by summer.

[quote]Da Vinci wrote:
According to the middle-aged housewives at my gym, just do some side bends, you’ll be all set by summer.[/quote]

And not to heavy, you don’t want to have to work hard!

I too have the same problem! I do agree with what ya’ll have to say though! I think diet is the way to go! anyone have a diet to recommend as well as a fat burner?

[quote]Da Vinci wrote:
According to the middle-aged housewives at my gym, just do some side bends, you’ll be all set by summer.[/quote]

Exactly! Everyone knows that’s the best way to spot-reduce! -lol

S

This is also a problem area for me, probably the hardest to improve over the years. Going lower carb, mainly fibrous has helped me, but still a pain in the ass.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Da Vinci wrote:
According to the middle-aged housewives at my gym, just do some side bends, you’ll be all set by summer.

Exactly! Everyone knows that’s the best way to spot-reduce! -lol

S
[/quote]

ON my way to the gym.

[quote]John Q. Adequate wrote:
Maybe add a fat burner to speed up the process which austin has outlined. Those last couple of pounds are the hardest to get rid of. But it is possible. Best of luck. Do not give up.[/quote]

Give up I shall not! I’ve tried 4 different brands of fat burners up till now. They seem to help somewhat, but only until the time I’m using them. And even then, I can’t seem to get my 6 pac and obliques to show.

Disturbingly enough, I’ve been on these burners for almost 6 months at a stretch! I think it may be too much water retention around the waist. I don’t have a belly anymore, but the damn thing wiggles a bit when I walk…wtf?!!

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
Sepulnation wrote:

Except the right one, obviously. Lay out your diet for us, and your body specs.[/quote]

Alritee…here it is:

Morning 8:30 am: pre-workout meal…usually a whey+glutamine shake along with a banana and a small chocolate bar. Topped off with a cup of coffee.

10:30 am: post-workout meal… whey+glutamine shake with seasonal fruits.

1:30 pm: lunch…usually rice with some whole protein source such as chicken, mutton, or pulses along with some yogurt.

5:00 pm: dry fruits with some yogurt.

9:00 pm: dinner…some whole source of protein along with some complex carbs such as oatmeal or bran bread.

Midnight: about 500 ml whole milk with some almonds or cottage cheese.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
Sepulnation wrote:

Except the right one, obviously. Lay out your diet for us, and your body specs.[/quote]

Oh, sorry…

Body specs:

85kgs. 5’8. 28 years of age. No clue about BF percentage.

[quote]KateK wrote:
Supra iliac (love handles) is related to insulin sensitivity. Your carb intake is more than likely too high for your carb tolerance. [/quote]

Hmm…interesting. I had secretly known that may have something to do with it. I’ve cut down my carbs quite a bit. Looks like I’ll have to completely eliminate simple carbs at some point.

[quote]

I’d be an idiot to not admit that they have gotten smaller with adjustments to my diet (and stopped doing exercises where I neede more stabilization).

S[/quote]

This part really got my attention. Do I need to stop doing stabilization exercises, so my waist/obliques won’t grow? A few examples would greatly help.

Ah, love handles. The bane of my existance. There’s nothing like having visible vascularity in your triceps, biceps, quads, hams, and even your crotch area yet stil having that belt of fat around the ol’ mid-section. Genetics is a bitch.

But I’m determined to kill them. Those fuckers are like the Predator and I’m like Dutch. If it bleeds, I can kill it… Or something.