T Nation

Arrest the Pope!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article7094310.ece

[i]RICHARD DAWKINS, the atheist campaigner, is planning a legal ambush to have the Pope arrested during his state visit to Britain for crimes against humanity.

Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, the atheist author, have asked human rights lawyers to produce a case for charging Pope Benedict XVI over his alleged cover-up of sexual abuse in the Catholic church.

The pair believe they can exploit the same legal principle used to arrest Augusto Pinochet, the late Chilean dictator, when he visited Britain in 1998.

The Pope was embroiled in new controversy this weekend over a letter he signed arguing that the good of the universal church should be considered against the defrocking of an American priest who committed sex offences against two boys. It was dated 1985, when he was in charge of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which deals with sex abuse cases.[/i]

I hope this happens, even though I doubt it will go anywhere.

Discuss.

No one is arresting the pope.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I would. The idea of someone who aids child molesters going to jail gets me off.

Dawkins is a pompous, hubristic, opportunistic ass who couldn't give two shits about "the children."

This is yet another attempt to destroy Catholicism via malicious defamation and mudslinging, nothing more.

Tell me again about "religious nuts" and their "righteousness."

Looks like you beat me to the punch, push. I seriously did not read your post before typing mine.

A lot of people will be fine with the idea. "Good! Get them religious bastard abusers!"

However, if he went after jewish child abusers (it is said that this kind of abuse is the most prevalent in jewish circles actually) then there would be outcry about how it's the holocaust again and how he's a deranged anti-semite and his books were in line with Mein Kampf.

..why are people defending him [the Pope] and the catholic church?

How so? Jewish child molesters are still child molesters. The specific religion is irrelevant, it's the fact that religion has provided a smokescreen for this sort of behavior that is completely unacceptable.

Well, I'm not Mak, nor was I even asked but I feel like responding.

Can't hold my tongue this time, cuz of all the dead entrepreneur talk. Which was a funny obit, BTW.

Okay, I'm an atheist. Also believe in evolution. Never really combined the two into a singular belief system, but if that works for you, sure I'll go with it.

We all know pedophilia is wrong because it causes suffering to a defenseless child for purely selfish sexual gratification.

The lion is eating the gazelle to survive, and to feed their children. (Maybe Flair was feeding his victims to his kids?)

There's a subtle difference in the quest for survival, something only suicidal people (and maybe lemmings) ignore, and getting your rocks off by destroying a kids life.

Obviously, for the gazelle, death is worse than surprise butt sex. But I've never been raped by a lion, so I leave that one to you.

But, the gazelle has to eat too. It simply has a different mechanism of digestion, allowing it to process grass, something the lion doesn't have. So the gazelle murders the grass, and the lion murders the gazelle. And we kill lions cuz it's fun to shoot stuff.

Morality isn't necessarily based on instructions from some divine being, but rather a fairly simple observation of the effects of one's actions. If it causes unnecessary harm to other beings, it's wrong.

Fairly simple, in my book, regardless of your beliefs.

But why is causing unnecessary harm to other beings wrong? Other than your "feeling" it is so?

Umm, who here has done that so far?

..is it your opinion that much of the child abuse accusations from all over the world are malicious defamation and mudslinging? If it's not, then what's your stance on this issue?

..his other quote read, "We all know pedophilia is wrong because it causes suffering to a defenseless child for purely selfish sexual gratification." Do you agree with this scenario?

Child abuse in any instance is wrong. Its perpetrators should be prosecuted and its victims or potential victims protected.

What Dawkins (and Mak) is doing here has nothing whatsoever, at its heart, to do with punishing the perpetrators of child abuse. It has everything to do with jumping opportunistically at a chance to harm the Catholic Church and, by extension, all religions that subscribe to a deity or deities.