Arnold's Training Program, No DL?

hi all, very intrested in arnies program as posted on here, but surpised there is no deadlift on the program,only sldl, would it be best to incoparate it into it,or stick to a what advised, many thanks

Do you need to do deadlifts to reach your goals? If yes, train them. If not, then don’t.

Fair comment :-). Just surprised to not see dl as always thought it one exercsie thats important to include along with bench and squats

[quote]baj1 wrote:
Fair comment :-). Just surprised to not see dl as always thought it one exercsie thats important to include along with bench and squats[/quote]

Why is that?

[quote]baj1 wrote:
very intrested in arnies program as posted on here, but surpised there is no deadlift on the program[/quote]
I’m guessing you’re talking about the “Arnold Agonist-Antagonistic” program posted last week. Understand that Arnold did a bunch of different training over the years, most notably beginning his training with Olympic lifting and powerlifting competitions.

He deadlifted 700+ before he turned 21, a few months before winning his second Mr. Universe contest. So, he did plenty of deadlifting in his day.

Follow the program exactly as written for two or three months, eat well, and see how it goes.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Follow the program exactly as written for two or three months, eat well, and see how it goes.[/quote]

If in doubt, this is always the answer

[quote]baj1 wrote:
would it be best to incoparate it into it,or stick to a what advised[/quote]

Within the confines of the program (!) (which isn’t THE Arnold routine, he did many different ones over the years) stiff legged deadlifts work way better since they don’t tax the quads. Do what the program tells you to do.

I would say if you have trained the deadlift hard for a few years and built up to good numbers then don’t worry about it.

I’m running this and I have put deads at the start of the arm session every other week. Only to keep my numbers from dropping and I enjoy them. I can pull 2.5 body weight for a triple so feel I have a good level of strength so can afford to neglect them for a few months.

On a side not Im really enjoying this routine.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]baj1 wrote:
would it be best to incoparate it into it,or stick to a what advised[/quote]

Within the confines of the program (!) (which isn’t THE Arnold routine, he did many different ones over the years) stiff legged deadlifts work way better since they don’t tax the quads. Do what the program tells you to do.
[/quote]
Conventional deadlifts don’t tax the quads either…they aren’t ever lengthened enough and really aren’t that important to the lift to begin with.

The benefit of an SDL is a more controlled eccentric, which means more muscle damage and thus more growth. Doing a 1rm from the floor and slamming it down is a great expression of strength, but not a great way to build muscle.

thanks for the input guys :slight_smile:

T3hPwnisher , im only going by what I read and learn,and thought it is in general one to be within a routine :-).
kd13 I was thinking similar to your self, do em on arm day,as I do enjoy deadlift, but hate sldl lol, only started it this week,and compared to my last routine,i really do enjoy this program layout,

Arnold’s mentor Reg Park ran him through all these templates…