Arnold's Program: Level I

background: I’ve been lifting pretty seriously for 1 year. I’ve been on Cosgrove’s and Waterbury’s programs, and RippeToes.

So I decided to start Arnold’s training program. So far I’ve had two really good training sessions. I was supposed to lift today, however I was exhausted(even though I slept 8.5 hours). I hope to lift 6x per week after more training, but I really feel good on the program.

Has anyone experienced problems doing 6 days per week at the beginning?

yep, I got married in january so last october i joined a gym to get fit and change my shape to look good on the night.

i got sick somewhere around the middle of november and didnt get well again till mid december and i pretty much stopped training
i got sick again in late january when i went back to training again and now im just training through it.

i dont think i was pushing myself ridiculously, three on one off cycled over and over again but it killed me and stopped my progress.

i dont know any way for you to get around this, im trying to work myself back into training six days a week again, but its hard when im tired and just want to sleep. listen to your body like you did today, exercise to live dont live to exercise.

Sleep and eat to recover.
If you cannot recover, lower your daily volume.
If you cannot recover, and don’t want to lower your volume, lower your number of days.

Best of luck!

Also, you might of just had an off day. If this is persisting then you do not have the ability to recover from the volume you have chosen for the sleep/eating you are performing.

Stimulants. Make them your friend.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
Stimulants. Make them your friend. [/quote]

i dont follow…

In my case, whenever I need any extra kick to train. I consume caffeine products or the like. ie stimulants. But like yasser said your diet determines the rate you recover and stimulants will not make up for a poor diet and the crash in such a weakened state will be a bitch.

[quote]SpadeK wrote:
background: I’ve been lifting pretty seriously for 1 year. I’ve been on Cosgrove’s and Waterbury’s programs, and RippeToes.

So I decided to start Arnold’s training program. So far I’ve had two really good training sessions. I was supposed to lift today, however I was exhausted(even though I slept 8.5 hours). I hope to lift 6x per week after more training, but I really feel good on the program.

Has anyone experienced problems doing 6 days per week at the beginning?[/quote]

Yup, I got brachial neuritis because I probably trained too hard when I was sick/stressed last September. I was on a 6 day/week program. I started January 2007. Be careful and listen to your body bro.

Good luck

In my case, whenever I need any extra kick to train. I consume caffeine products or the like. ie stimulants. But like yasser said your diet determines the rate you recover and stimulants will not make up for a poor diet and the crash in such a weakened state will be a bitch. [/quote]

I found that BCAAs have really kicked my endurance levels up. I started taking them about a month ago after reading a lot of stuff on this site. I’ve found that I’m pushing myself harder now than I ever did before. Maybe it’s psychological, I don’t know, but I’d recommend them.

Never tried caffeine products. I heard some guy at the gym talking about knocking back an espresso or two before his workout tho, would this do the trick?

From personal experience, caffeine in coffee just ain’t the same as high quality caffeine supplement. It actually acts like a laxative on me. Very bad. Plus you don’t know the amount of caffeine you are consuming. It completely varies from how the coffee is roasted, brewed, the size of the cup, blah blah blah. 500mg of caffeine will always be 500mg. Instead of the espresso I’d recommend the Rockstar blues. They are stronger than the regular ones and sugar free. Its also cheaper than espresso. My two centavos.

I agree, I have never had an espresso then felt the need to pick heavy stuff up.

When I drink an espresso I feel the need to drop some heavy stuff at the nearest john.

When I drink an espresso I feel the need to drop some heavy stuff at the nearest john. [/quote]

Caffeine, no matter where you get it from (drink or pill) “relaxes the internal anal sphincter muscles”*

*It’s wikipedia, but hey, it seems to make sense

ab_power:
Sorry did you say something?
In Avatar Trance

Excuse ab_power did you say something. (looking at avatar)