T Nation

Arnold's pre-contest diet

I read somewhere that Arnold used to finish his pre-contest diet a week before the contest, and then eat normally to “fill out” the last week. Does anybody know more details of this, or indeed, has anybodt tried anything similar themselves?

Rick, Arnold talks about this in his book “The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding”.
He baisically says that many people leave it too late to “carb up”, like 2-3 days. He goes on to explain that he stopped his diet at least a week before contest so he could give enough time to completely fill his muscles with glycogen. He also goes onto say that some bodybuilders are in their best shape 2-3 days after a show, again because they didn’t allow enough time for carbing up.
Hope this helped.

Cheers, Slaine!
I guess it would take a bit of trial and error to carb up to the max without bloating out.

i do recall from a few textbooks that it takes several days (4-5) to fully replenish glycogen stores in muscle cells after they have been depleted from exercisel. So i assume a similiar timeframe would apply to glycogen depletement from dieting.

Well, it wasn’t for contest prep, but i was on a keto diet for 10 weeks to shed the winter blubber i gained on my mass cycle. Usually 0 - 50 grams of carbs a day, no cheat days. About 5 days after coming off of it and consuming carbs, my muscles looked like they had been pumped up by a air pump. I had only increased my calories by 2-300 a day durring that week, but i looked a good 5 pounds heavier because my muscles were so full and round. Unfortunately, that lok only lasted 2 or 3 days, then my body adjusted again.