Arnold's Full Body Workout

“Heavy movements stimulate the deep-lying muscle fibers that lighter movements never reach. The objective is to use fewer exercises, employ heavier poundages and train your whole body in one workout. I gained most of my weight and massiveness on a program of 10 exercises that I performed three times a week. After I reached a satisfactory bodyweight, I changed over to the more advanced split system and began training six days a week.”

“If you need to put on 20 pounds or more, the following program is for you.”

Gain-Weight Routine
Squats 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Bench Presses 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Incline Presses 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Wide-Grip Chins 5 x 8-10
Bent-Over Rows 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Behind-the-Neck-Presses 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Barbell Curls 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Lying Triceps Extensions 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Deadlifts 5 x 3-5 (building up to one max set)
Machine Calf Raises 5 x 10-15

First two sets are warm ups sets with the following 3 sets being the work sets.

What of it?

[quote]Bane11 wrote:
“Heavy movements stimulate the deep-lying muscle fibers that lighter movements never reach. The objective is to use fewer exercises, employ heavier poundages and train your whole body in one workout. I gained most of my weight and massiveness on a program of 10 exercises that I performed three times a week. After I reached a satisfactory bodyweight, I changed over to the more advanced split system and began training six days a week.”

Gain-Weight Routine
Squats 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Bench Presses 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Incline Presses 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Wide-Grip Chins 5 x 8-10
Bent-Over Rows 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Behind-the-Neck-Presses 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Barbell Curls 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Lying Triceps Extensions 5 x 8,8,6,6,6
Deadlifts 5 x 3-5 (building up to one max set)
Machine Calf Raises 5 x 10-15

First two sets are warm ups sets with the following 3 sets being the work sets.[/quote]

Man!!, you must be young and have alot of free time to do that workout with any kind of real effort. That amount of work would require 2+ hrs in the gym and a ton of recovery after.

If you’re resting 2 min between each set, that’s already an hour and 40 minutes of just resting…

[quote]Bane11 wrote:
[/quote]

Also, you may need to adjust your dosage of PEDs, re-engineer your genetic heritage, drastically alter your work/school/life schedule, and during the rest of the day when not training, eat and sleep almost contunuously in an alternating pattern.

S

[quote]chobbs wrote:
If you’re resting 2 min between each set, that’s already an hour and 40 minutes of just resting…[/quote]

Its called the “kicking it” routine.

[quote]chobbs wrote:
If you’re resting 2 min between each set, that’s already an hour and 40 minutes of just resting…[/quote]

lol hahahaha funny shit. you can do so many better things in whole 5 fucking hours weekly (3xweek) than just resting in the gym.

[quote]siberian wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:

lol hahahaha funny shit. you can do so many better things in whole 5 fucking hours weekly (3xweek) than just resting in the gym. [/quote]

Your avatar is a little distracting…

Dorian also did something similar.

For 2 weeks.

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:

For 2 weeks.

[/quote]

Delta, could you please elaborate? Did Yates do this for a reason?

Looks pretty standard for a bored 18 y/o in the gym

Yes,the 3 x per week routines of the 1970 and 1980ty’s I started bodybuilding in 1976 and my 1st routine was the standard 3x10. 1 exercise per body part. Even way back then your energy would be compromised after say a squat,and to a lesser degree the bench,but forget about doing deadlift’s,unless it’s 135 to 225lb’s. The next was the 4-day split,a routine still used to this day. This training overtraining,it’s questionable about working-out 2x per week.The general consensis is 1x per week,as there is alot of crossover. thank’s john

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:

For 2 weeks.

[/quote]

Delta, could you please elaborate? Did Yates do this for a reason? [/quote]

I don’t know what the hell I meant when I made that comment…

Well
Yates used to do a full-body split when he started training, 2 weeks later he cut the routine in half and devised a 2-way split, a year later he moved to 3-way split, another year and then a more traditional bodypart split, 10 years later it was heavy duty.

Pretty much every bodybuilder up to the 90’s used fullbody routines or 2-way splits to some degree. I think there’s merit to full body routines , but most people literally can’t think it through and that’s why those splits don’t get much credit.

DeltaOne wrote:

“Well
Yates used to do a full-body split when he started training,”

was he spliting hair(full-body split) or just THE split ?

[quote]BHappy wrote:
DeltaOne wrote:

“Well
Yates used to do a full-body split when he started training,”

was he spliting hair(full-body split) or just THE split ?[/quote]

Well of course he was spliting hair, look at those awesome blonde curls, you can’t get those without some speciallized hair care. LOL

(Source says Yates was 14-15 in that pic.)