Arnold Schwazenegger and Intensity

This was one thing i didnt like in the book, even if was true, whats the point of saying now that Arnold couldnt train with decent intensity, etc… the guy was the best in his time, whatever he did worked for him. This chapter of the book looked like much of an atack to Arnold.

Fucking wimp. No wonder he was so small and non-proportional.

Makes me sick.

Oh lord, here we go with the Schwartz dick sucking festival…

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Oh lord, here we go with the Schwartz dick sucking festival…[/quote]

I see your Schwartz is as big as mine…

Now let’s see how you handle it.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Oh lord, here we go with the Schwartz dick sucking festival…

I see your Schwartz is as big as mine…

Now let’s see how you handle it.[/quote]

Ooh, well played, good sir.

[quote]anonym wrote:
Ooh, well played, good sir.[/quote]

Internet assholery is a difficult art. Fortunately for me, I’m a natural at it.

Wait…did you just say youre good with assholes?

[quote]steven alex wrote:
In the book The New High Intensity Training by Ellington Darden he writes an anecdote concerning Arnold Schwarzenegger and his inability to bring enough intensity to the workouts whilst under the brief tutelage of Arthur Jones.

Thing is if this great bodybuilder cant bring the desired amount of intensity to this particular training protocol what hope does that give to the average trainee?

Darden goes on to report that Arnold at one point ( according to Casey Viator ) “…crawled outside and spilled his guts on the grass”. That shows me incredible intensity must have been employed by Arnold but evidently not enough to warrant him being afforded the respect of the HIT fraternity. It has been an extremely rare event for myself to puke when I workout so does that mean HIT is beyond me? [/quote]

I love it how HIT guys always bring this up as if it means something. Yeah, because obviously if this story was true, it means that Arnold’s training was lacking enough intensity to build a world class physique. Oh wait…wrong!

[quote]jdrannin1 wrote:

I love it how HIT guys always bring this up as if it means something. Yeah, because obviously if this story was true, it means that Arnold’s training was lacking enough intensity to build a world class physique. Oh wait…wrong![/quote]

On the same note, I love how high volume guys always act like Arnold’s physique was 100% due to his training. Of course he wasnt a genetic golden goose and of course he wasnt munching on dbol from a pez dispenser.

If every anecdote about Arnold and his workouts were true, he would have been too busy to make it to a tournament after coming to the US.

HIT guys dislike people like arnold because he was sponsored by WEIDER who was trying to and did to a certain degree monopolize the bodybuilding industry for monetary purposes so the weider people would bash the hitters. weider is kind of like the vinny mac of wwe or dana white of the ufc all about the money and screw anyone over for greed. (i’m not a HIT guy)

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
jdrannin1 wrote:

I love it how HIT guys always bring this up as if it means something. Yeah, because obviously if this story was true, it means that Arnold’s training was lacking enough intensity to build a world class physique. Oh wait…wrong!

On the same note, I love how high volume guys always act like Arnold’s physique was 100% due to his training. Of course he wasnt a genetic golden goose and of course he wasnt munching on dbol from a pez dispenser.[/quote]

I agree as well. And to be really honest, I think the claims that surround his training are grossly inflated and utter lies to sell the “myth” that is Arnold.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
LOL @ HIT[/quote]

Go read Loui Simmon’s article
“HIT: Hit or Miss?”

He talks about coaches complaining to him when they get freshmen linemen who come from so called “HIT” programs who can’t squat 300 pounds or jump a 12’ vertical!

Have you ever seen a picture of Metzner as a Teen? He was fucking HUGE! He must have had the most fantastic genetics of all time (comparable to Ronnie, Flex, and Levrone - all of whom had better physiques) In my humble opinion, ANYTHING would have worked for Metzner.

It seems like HIT training is only for the seasoned lifter, but it’s really not for anyone. I’m pretty sure Metzner won a pro show doing nothing but 3-a-week sessions on the Nautalis Machine Circut. Even if I was using all the weight on the stacks for the Nautalis circuit, I know I still wouldn’t look anywhere close to Metzner. But you also need to consider that Metzner wasn’t just doing 10 sets of 10 on the ciricut: he was just doing one all out set of 6 to 8 reps. Who the FUCK can build good legs just doing Nautalis Leg Presses with 500lbs and Leg Extensions with 200lbs? That’s just not enough stimulus to cause enough growth for someone to become a world class bodybuilder…unless they’ve extremely gifted genetically and they can put on mass just by curling 15lb dumbbells.

Of course, I’ve just realized I’ve forgotten about the famous pictures of Metzner Curling 225lbs for reps. I’m not saying that he wasn’t strong as hell. I’m just saying that you can’t expect to see results from something that worked for MEtzner (HIT) because anything would work for that guy.

I think Heavy-Duty training, DoggCrapp training, and all the other disciplines of training that demand heavy weight and low reps are the best programs out there for bodybuilding and are some of the best training programs, period.

But unless you’ve got superior genetics, you won’t create much growth by doing one balls to the wall set of machine triceps extensions and not hitting triceps for the next 8 days.

[quote]derek wrote:
Puking comes from too many sets, too much lactic buildup and too little rest. Food in your stomach doesn’t help either!

You can seriously bust your ass and not feel sick. I used to do 20 rep leg extensions, 20 rep leg press and 20 rep sissy squats in giant-set fashion and I used to feel sick every time (my quads never grew better than that time too!)

I also have powerlifted and never felt the slightest hint of nausea.

I got a lot out of HIT actually and very rarely did I ever get sick. Only when I giant-setted legs was it bad. [/quote]

I’d be real curious to hear how you trained HIT, and what kind of results you got, maybe in a new thread. I tend to be pretty skeptical of it, both just because it doesn’t make intuitive sense to me and because a lot of powerlifters bash it, but I do know a couple of guys who swear by it and are strong and decent-sized.

May be months if not years before I have a chance to train HIT, but I’d be curious to see what an HIT routine looks like in practice.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Wait…did you just say youre good with assholes?[/quote]

My GF says that sounds about right.

GF=
Guy Friend?
Gay Friend?
Gay Fuck?
Guy Fuck?
Gooch Finger?

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
I’d be real curious to hear how you trained HIT, and what kind of results you got, maybe in a new thread. I tend to be pretty skeptical of it, both just because it doesn’t make intuitive sense to me and because a lot of powerlifters bash it, but I do know a couple of guys who swear by it and are strong and decent-sized.

May be months if not years before I have a chance to train HIT, but I’d be curious to see what an HIT routine looks like in practice.[/quote]

Bashers suck, PERIOD.

But to your question… I’ve used a variety of splits with HIT, all of them worked. They worked because I busted my ass, ate lots of good food and worked at getting stronger, that’s it.

I use pre-exhaustion, drop sets, partials and negatives in dips and chins.

I may do flat flyes supersetted with db bench then negative dips for chest. Next time chest rolls around, it may be bench press until failure then rest-pause. Then maybe drop sets with incline dumbbell press.

What makes the difference with this and every other sensible routine is keeping a notebook and getting stronger at those movements I do next time it rolls around whether it’s that week or next week.

The main reason why powerlifting works so well is that it’s all about getting stronger over time. It doesn’t matter if it’s going from 8 reps in my flyes and 11 with the presses to 9 and 13 reps in those exercises or benching 345x1 next week as opposed to 340x1.

Powerlifting is nothing unless you get stronger. For some stupid reason that is lost on many that don’t compete (or train like a powerlifter). The whole magic of PL (and OL too) is that it’s a numbers game and hypertrophy is secondary.

Things get all fucked up when guys get into bodybuilding. Somehow the weight on the bar is secondary and hypertrophy is focused on like a laser which is a big mistake.

HIT seems to be about training REALLY hard for 8, 12 or 15 reps and that’s all you have to do. But again, that’s bullshit. If I go from 30lb flyes supersetted with 85 lb db presses to to absolute failure up to 45 lb flyes and 95lb db presses over the next several weeks then I’m going to grow.

And if anyone ever read about Casey Viators leg routine he was doing leg extensions, he was doing leg presses and squats but with ungodly weight for ungodly reps back-to-back and his weights had been increased regularly so that he was squatting 500lbs for WELL over 12 reps (I forget) AFTER two other leg exercises.

How can you NOT grow from that?

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
GF=
Guy Friend?
Gay Friend?
Gay Fuck?
Guy Fuck?
Gooch Finger?[/quote]

What the heck is a gooch?

the bit inbetween your balls and asshole…

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
On the same note, I love how high volume guys always act like Arnold’s physique was 100% due to his training. Of course he wasnt a genetic golden goose and of course he wasnt munching on dbol from a pez dispenser.[/quote]

Steroids or not, he still would have worked hard to get where he got to.

And that’s not to say HIT doesn’t work, I just don’t see what the point is in bashing another bodybuilder. One way works for some people, another way works for the others. It’s how the world works.