Arnold Schwarzenegger's Recommended Weight Gain Diet?

I don’t understand how it can help build mass? Especially if he’s recommending it for a 6-day hardcore split like his…

I don’t know how it can help you build mass as it’s like 2 pieces of bread at breakfast, 1 piece of fruit and 4 eggs… from that you can see the only other 2 meals aren’t going to be much…

If anyone hasn’t seen the diet from his book, I’ll put it up.

I just don’t really know if it’s enough food for gaining size.

I recall the diet being fine for someone getting into bodybuilding (obviously not for someone very experienced).

Though I don’t remember exactly what it is, so just post the entire diet.

Listen man, Arnolds old books n stuff was geard to market himself as something everyone could acheive.

That being said, in a lot of old arnold books, youll read stupid shit like 60 g of protein at least per day. can you imagine that?

I often get that in one MEAL let alone in one day. His old stuff was geared toward the average joe who wanted to get bigger, yet didn’t want to hear “eat 7 meals a day, protein at every meal, etc”

His books don’t go over nutrient timing either. I remember one of franco columbo’s books saying that you should just eat grapes in between sets. Just a fucken fistful of grapes! Can you imagine?

Meanwhile, he weighed in at 190 something on stage, and I can imagine he was getting a lot more in than freakin a piece of fish and grapes during the day.

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:
I remember one of franco columbo’s books saying that you should just eat grapes in between sets. Just a fucken fistful of grapes! Can you imagine?

[/quote]

Simple sugars during the workout? Hmmm that sounds pretty familiar.

arnold’s 1977 book said 30-50g of protein at a time, an total daily calories of around 5000 with 300g of protein (botton of pg 154) spaced over 7:30 breakfast, snack 10:00, lunch 12:30, snack 3:00, supper 6:00, bedtime snack 9:00. each has 1-2 glasses of milk, eggs, meat, or both.

peri workout, he said squeeze 1-2 lemons worth of juice into a warm water bottle and add 3 tablespoons of honey.

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:
His books don’t go over nutrient timing either. I remember one of franco columbo’s books saying that you should just eat grapes in between sets. Just a fucken fistful of grapes! Can you imagine?

Meanwhile, he weighed in at 190 something on stage, and I can imagine he was getting a lot more in than freakin a piece of fish and grapes during the day.[/quote]

This one and the past post is very good man.

Thank you for opening my eyes, is what I can say.
I’ll post the diet up in a while.

But is he right on his fat loss information, his diet is around 40/40/20… as people recommend it today, claiming that having a diet balanced on all nutritional levels is helpful for fat loss as long as it has been done over time?

people who trained with him said he had steak and eggs almost every morning and was drinking protein shakes through the day, not any special brand, just the most common one for that era.

a lot of the 1977 book was sensationalized, for example it doesn’t mention steroids once. not one time, all the results were from hard work alone. there’s also the whole “going into the woods, doing squats and drinking beer until he and friends passed out”. i’ve heard several places the guy ate dbol like it was candy. and there’s pictures of him at 16, and 19 that make you think about that.

[quote]UFgator11 wrote:
arnold’s 1977 book said 30-50g of protein at a time, an total daily calories of around 5000 with 300g of protein (botton of pg 154) spaced over 7:30 breakfast, snack 10:00, lunch 12:30, snack 3:00, supper 6:00, bedtime snack 9:00. each has 1-2 glasses of milk, eggs, meat, or both.

peri workout, he said squeeze 1-2 lemons worth of juice into a warm water bottle and add 3 tablespoons of honey.[/quote]

I have his 1985 book. Saying about his Level 1,2 and 3 diets.

Level 3 Is probably his better diet, here it is:

Breakfast - 4 Poached Eggs
8 Ounces Milk
1/2 Pieces wholegrain bread with butter
1 Piece fresh Fruit

Lunch - 1/2 Pound meat,fish,fowl.
1 or 2 slices wholegrain bread
8-16 ounces milk
1 Piece of fresh fruit

Dinner - 1 Pound meat, fish, fowl
Baked Potato or boiled beans
Lightly Steamed vegetables
Large Raw Salad
1 piece fresh fruit
8 Ounces milk

With this, there would be 2 shakes on top.

Which would be.

6 eggs, 16 ounces milk, 8 ounces whipping cream, 6 teaspoons of lecithin blended, once the lecithin dissolved egg and milk protein powder was added.

Altogether this shake would equal 98g Protein, and he’d split it into 2 servings.

[quote]UFgator11 wrote:
people who trained with him said he had steak and eggs almost every morning and was drinking protein shakes through the day, not any special brand, just the most common one for that era.

a lot of the 1977 book was sensationalized, for example it doesn’t mention steroids once. not one time, all the results were from hard work alone. there’s also the whole “going into the woods, doing squats and drinking beer until he and friends passed out”. i’ve heard several places the guy ate dbol like it was candy. and there’s pictures of him at 16, and 19 that make you think about that.[/quote]

Baring in mind also, as much steroids he had been on, he was still a genetic freak which had clearly helped him.

Even though the three years was quite a wild improvement in Arnold’s body, I still think it could be kinda’ possible naturally depending on his genetics, but I couldn’t say obviously… I’m just passing opinions.

THere’s a lot of questionable info that’s been published on/by the old school BBers from the 60’s, 70’ etc… I have a pretty good collection of out of print books (Posedown, Musclewars, Coming On Strong, Competitive Bodybuilding…), and there is always something that makes you stop and scratch your head. I don’t remember the exact quote, but in one book, it talks about Tom Platz’s cutting diet for an Olympia, and it mentions some really low figure, maybe under a 1000 cals a day, with maybe 50g of protein (which just makes me assume that they must have truly relied on AAS to maintain their muscle size precontest,… if indeed this is to be believed).

S

I also read arnold did mostly front squats because of his long legs, not back squats. he didn’t want “turnip thighs” (big at the top, small at the bottom)

stu- aren’t you a front squatter? i thought i read on here it better suited your goals?

Yeah, I do prefer the front variation. I did back squats for years, eventually moving some ‘considerable weight’ (550 lbs), but my quads just never looked like bodybuilder quads,… and my ass just seemed to take over on a lot of the movement (sort of how my arms were dominating my flat bench). People need to figure out what works for them,… Arnold obviously worked around his height, and now that I think about it, one of my training partners, who is 6’2, began doing front squats because that’s what I was doing at the time, and now, a year and a half later, his quads are just amazing for someone of his stature.

S

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:
I remember one of franco columbo’s books saying that you should just eat grapes in between sets. Just a fucken fistful of grapes! Can you imagine?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Don’t get me wrong dude, I have a pretty sexy carb loaded peri workout nutrition, but if you read franco’s layout for food, you’d understand.

Theres just grapes alone too, no protein or anything peri workout.

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Don’t get me wrong dude, I have a pretty sexy carb loaded peri workout nutrition, but if you read franco’s layout for food, you’d understand.

Theres just grapes alone too, no protein or anything peri workout.[/quote]

I thought is was funny. I mean decades later and it is still basically the same shit, just a bit fluffier.

Diets are specific to the individual and anyone that blindly follows someones layout is doing their body a diservice, unless their diet was complete shit to begin with.

I think the actual story in education of a bodybuilder explains what arnold was really doing a bit better…the exercise/diet templates are probably not true…

anyway heres a video from pumping iron showing them ordering pretty standard stuff…

[quote]D Public wrote:
I think the actual story in education of a bodybuilder explains what arnold was really doing a bit better…the exercise/diet templates are probably not true…

anyway heres a video from pumping iron showing them ordering pretty standard stuff…

[/quote]

Almost the same as most diets now…
Steak and Eggs haha

Thanks for that video man, I would never have thought to have looked for that.

But Arnold was a weird one. GLARDEEAYTORS.

I love Arnold’s face at 0:26!

heees eating three hamburgers in one shot! is theese gladeeatars?!?!