Arnold Scharzenegger: Total Recall, My Unbelievably True Life Story

Had his autobiography on pre-order, just had it delivered today. Anyone else pick up a copy of his book? I feel like a kid on Christmas day about to learn all kinds of information from his mentor/inspiration.

The guy is an icon, especially to T-Men around the world but the stuff that’s come out recently has kind of dampened my view of him as a person. He’s basically admitted to cheating on his wife on multiple occasions and having a kid with one of his mistresses.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
The guy is an icon, especially to T-Men around the world but the stuff that’s come out recently has kind of dampened my view of him as a person. He’s basically admitted to cheating on his wife on multiple occasions and having a kid with one of his mistresses. [/quote]

And worst of all… MY GOD IS SHE UGLY! C’mon Ahnold, you’re a multmillionaire politician/former IFBB legend/actor/international icon, you can certainly do better than that!

Lol I hear what you guys are saying, but we all have our flaws. At least he was courageous enough to admit them in front of the whole world.

Arnold has been an inspiration to me since I first saw him onscreen in Conan the Barbarian and like many guys out there I doubt I would have started hitting the gym like I did if it wasn’t for his physique and hard work inspiring me.

I’ll get it when it comes out in paperback.The hardcover looks too heavy to carry around.

[quote]Nards wrote:
Arnold has been an inspiration to me since I first saw him onscreen in Conan the Barbarian and like many guys out there I doubt I would have started hitting the gym like I did if it wasn’t for his physique and hard work inspiring me.

I’ll get it when it comes out in paperback.The hardcover looks too heavy to carry around.[/quote]

Would Arnold say that a book is “too heavy” to carry around?

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Would Arnold say that a book is “too heavy” to carry around? [/quote]

I love how Amazon “readers” leave 1 star comments and have never read the book.

How can you hate someone so much to go out of your way to “review” a book you never read.

Not sure if I’ll read it. I read his previous autobiography, although it stops at around 1976.

Aside from his inexcusable despicable Esteban Nunez sentencing failure (yes, look it up), Arnold had been a hero of mine.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Aside from his inexcusable despicable Esteban Nunez sentencing failure (yes, look it up),
[/quote]

It’ be interesting to know whether he’s included it in his book, and admitted being an asshole, just as he’s admitted cheating on his wife with Brigit N and others…

Maybe not.

Been reading it all day in work and have genuinely been howling at some of the banter.

I very much look forward to reading this, I find it extremely troublesome the mentality of people who make comments like I used to look up to him he’s a jerk etc.

To those people I would simply say this for whatever reason you came to know Arnold it wasn’t for his personal morals it was Bodybuilding, Movies etc. as it is with the majority of celebrities you look up to or like you know nothing of what goes on in their homes. The affairs are between him and his family he still did all those things you loved so what’s any different?

I have never in my life met anyone who was a fan of anyone soley for their moral standing at least for their moral standing they had first hand knowledge of.

It’s all nonsense and I believe jealousy or just trying to elevate themselves, When I think American Dream I think Arnold he has had and just about done it all.

I really have no ill thoughts toward him for these admissions, I never knew him personally even considering having met him several times still never knew him, But I’m a fan because of his movies, bodybuilding, appearances, , books etc.

After having seen him in interviews and watching all the previously unreleased Pumping Iron footage and reading his first Autobiography these revelations don’t surprise me it kind of fits with his Apex top of the food chain Alpha Personality.

Having said all that I belive Arnold has always fealt he could have his cake and eat it too and for the most part has, so what? It’s just who he is and what made him one of the most succesful men ever.

I also believe he is sorry for hurting his family including Maria but his larger than life personality has been around alot longer and for him to put a cap on that I can do anything drive doesn’t necessarily make him the ideal husband.

I think if you liked him before you should like him now if you change up that easy trust me there are alot more people you know even family members who would really disappoint you if you knew everything.

For me I’ve been a fan and remain a fan and so are my sons so Total Recall yeah definately a must have.

Well said mate

How can ANYONE hate on Arnie?

He’s reached the top of THREE different professions. All completely unrelated to each other.

He’s the embodiement of getting the fuck of your arse and being the man you want to be.

Arnie, you’re the best!

A wise man once said that a man who doesn’t treat his family and wife well isn’t a man at all. Arnold himself has basically admitted he hasn’t treated his family, certainly not his wife, very well at all. He’s lied to her, hid things from her, deceived her, cheated on her and has now publicized all of this on top of the embarrassment he’s already brought on her.

Is he an inspirational weightlifter and someone a lot of people look up to in that respect? Sure. Is he a good human being, father and husband, someone I would look up to in THOSE respects? Not a chance.

To The Bodyguard:

Yes, we look up to people like athletes and celebrities for reasons other than the way they conduct their personal and family lives. But unless we start placing a higher value on weightlifting than marital fidelity, it is entirely reasonable to turn around and condemn someone for behavior that we were unaware of when we idolized someone. It’s part of a maturing process where we realize that, holy shit, the way a guy treats his family is actually a pretty large indicator of who the person I’ve been idolizing really is.

I guess what I’m saying is that we should admire people for the way they are when they aren’t doing what makes them famous, when the spotlights aren’t on and they aren’t in front of a camera. Arnold isn’t a bodybuilder, he’s a HUMAN BEING who happens to have been very good at bodybuilding. Who he is as a human is far more relevant than who he is as a bodybuilder, so I don’t think there is anything wrong at all with performing a 180 degree reversal in attitude when you find out that your favorite bodybuilder is actually a pretty poor human being.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

Blueprint for success

Can’t wait to buy and read it. Gonna go tonight and pick it up.

Total icon. Yes, he made mistakes and is flawed. Like any other human that has walked this planet.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

That was incredibly inspirational.

‘The vices of great men generally match their virtues.’

Anyone who’s followed Arnold’s life/career for any length of time has known about his problems with keeping his dick in his pants. The Bridget Nielson story (among others) is nothing new - it was spelled out in Arnold’s unauthorised bio about 15 years ago.

Arnold made it to the top in 3 ridiculously competitive arenas. Think about that for a moment - THREE. Any person who makes it even CLOSE to the top in even ONE of those arenas could rightfully consider that as a hugely impressive achievement in their lives. Again, Arnold made it in three.

And what natural advantages did he have? Other than decent genetics for bodybuilding, almost none. In fact a whole host of disadvantages.

The personal qualities that drove him to succeed in those 3 arenas are obviously pretty damn extreme - you’d almost expect that those very qualities led him to fuck up in other areas of his life.

Do I condone his fucking up? Nope.

Do I understand his fucking up? Absolutely.

Arnold was my boyhood idol. He’s no longer my idol - not because of his fuck-ups but because I’ve grown up and no longer want idols. Human beings are a lot more complex that any one person being ‘good’ or ‘bad’, ‘strong’ or ‘weak’.

I admire him for what he has achieved, the will it took to get where he has, and the inspiration he has provided to millions around the world.

CLIFF NOTES: If I met Arnold walking down the street, I’d stop and shake his hand.

totally agree with this ^