Arnold Press

One of my new favourite exercises, but I’ve seen it done two ways. The I’ve seen others do it is like this,

I do it with more a 3 point kind of move. The starting position like normal, rotate out to side, then press over heard. The video is more of twisting while press which makes me think you can do more weight that way. Is that just another way to do it and I should do both? What do you guys do.

btw I really feel this one of my shoulders I like it!

I like and use it too…

I have for my own use found that it’s best as a finishing off type of exercise and not a going heavy type one…

Great burn…

Solid

[quote]inthego wrote:
I like and use it too…

I have for my own use found that it’s best as a finishing off type of exercise and not a going heavy type one…

Great burn…

Solid[/quote]

Thanks for the reply but you didn’t really address my question.

These are pretty good exercises, but I can’t recommend using them in the long run. I’ve heard of a lot of people injuring their shoulders due to these moves, and most people I know stick to straight dumbbell presses or barbell presses. Otherwise, they’re a pretty good exercise to throw into a routine every once in a while.

So which of the two variations I mentioned do you guys do?

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
So which of the two variations I mentioned do you guys do?[/quote]

I have used both and nether would I use to go “heavy”.
I use the elbows in and palms facing me to start. I can feel the delt more in that movement.

For me anyway:
Heavy Meaning as a real effort or a weight I could only do less than 6 0r 8 reps…

As I posted before good for a finishing Exercise not a big movement like a reg press

I would be careful on it as your shoulder is a damn hard joint to recover from if injured.

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
inthego wrote:
I like and use it too…

Great burn…

Solid

Thanks for the reply but you didn’t really address my question.[/quote]

lmao!!!

HahahahaaRR! Burn in the go! BUUURN!

Anyways…

As inthego says above, i wouldnt go heavy: 6-8reps - as it is a bit of a weird exercise. The gleno-Humeral joint is SO mobile and SOO weak, i would never use a heavy weight on an exercise that involves medial or lateral rotation of the upper arm/shoulder joint. The exercise and the shoulder joint in general needs to be treated with caution and respect. Keep reps 8-12/15 with this particular exercise - and use it later on as a finisher.

As for the 2 variations, i myself have only used one and it is the more twisting while pressing. If i had to choose, i’d say your version is the more stable feeling/looking version and would be the one i would go “heavier” on. If pressed, but again no lower than 8, 9 or 10 reps.

Joe