Army Training

I am going into the IDF (Israel Defense Force) in one month. I already have a pretty basic workout. I do pushups, pullups, situps, body squats, lunges and squat jumps along with running 15-25 minutes every day.

I would like to get into the reconnisance/special ops unit of the golani brigade. The requirement is to pass a physical condintioning test and then a gibush (kinda like bud/s but only two days long). I need some help for the pc test and some interesting training ideas with little to no equipment (all i have available is two dumbells and a barbell and bench). The PC test is a one set max test on crunches, pushups, pullups and a 2k timed run. I really want to get a good score and in order to get all 100 points i have to be able to do…

75 pushups
86 situps(hands behind head elbows to knees)
and run 2k in under 6:48.
as of right now i can do about 50 pushups and run 2k in around 8:20. can anyone suggest a three week workout plan to get these numbers up past where they need to be (i never go by their standards i must be better than best)?

P.S. i think i might be the first person on this website to ever ask how to lower running time.

Honestly, at this point the best thing to do is the exercises that are required. You just have to gain the muscle endurance from here on out. Also as far as running goes run as fast as you can for as far as you can and then jog until you think you can sprint again. Try doing that for about 3k twice a day. Also make sure that you stretch out plenty, especially your ITB because that is what is most likely to get an overuse injury with alot of running.

I would also suggest doing your run and then doing your other strength tests just to prepare for the worst scenario.

[quote]bigscarymonster wrote:
Honestly, at this point the best thing to do is the exercises that are required. You just have to gain the muscle endurance from here on out. Also as far as running goes run as fast as you can for as far as you can and then jog until you think you can sprint again. Try doing that for about 3k twice a day. Also make sure that you stretch out plenty, especially your ITB because that is what is most likely to get an overuse injury with alot of running.

I would also suggest doing your run and then doing your other strength tests just to prepare for the worst scenario.[/quote]

Where to start…

First, three weeks is not a lot of time to make a lot of progress, but if that’s all you have to work with, then so be it.

You should be doing fairly specific training at this point, but you do need a little variety in there.

For pushups:

1. Standard pushups
  2. Wide hand position
  3. Narrow hand position
  4. Weighted pushups for fewer reps
  5. Inclined pushups for higher reps

For Sit Ups:

1. Standard sit ups
  2. Weighted sit ups
  3. Any variation of a crunch
  4. Any variation of a leg raise
  5. Try doing as many situps as possible in a minute
  6. Try doing as many situps as you can, rest for a few seconds, and continue util you get 100.

For 2k run:

1. 2k’s for best time
  2. 1k’s at top speed
  3. 3k’s alternating sprints with jogs
  4. hill work
  5. occasionaly run in the same gear as you will use for the test. If this means combat gear and boots, get used to it.

I don’t know what you have for dumbells, but you can use them to strengthen the chest. You can do DB press to failure and follow it up with pushups to failure.

Just remember that your muscles need to recover. You don’t want to do pushups or sit ups or even run every day for the next 21 days straight. Try alternating lifting days (pushups/situps) with running days, giving yourself 48 hours of rest between repeats.

Don’t worry about long distance training because it is not going to help you run the 2k. Just focus on the specific tests that you will be doing, and keep your training specific to that.

Good luck with your tests.

ok first of all thank you for all the help. Fortunately the test is done in a t shirt and shorts with running shoes so i wont have to scare all the nieghbors kids by running around in full combat gear. also like th idea of using db bench presses combined with pushups. Sorry to be an ignorant putz but what are ITB stretches?
Thanks again i will keep you guys posted on how it goes.

[quote]golanhalley wrote:
Sorry to be an ignorant putz but what are ITB stretches?
[/quote]

The ITB is the iliotibial band. This is the dense muscle on the outer thigh running from the hip to just below the knee joint. Some people that start a running program too aggresively end up with IT Band friction sindrome, where the IT Band rubs on the outside of the knee (distal femur) causing pain and inflammation.

The best treatment is prevention. If you warm up properly and stretch your IT band after working out, you can help avoid the injury. I’ll attach a couple of pictures of stretches for you.

Another tip is to run opposite directions on your routes. If you are running on a track you won’t always be turning to your left. If you are running on the road, the sloping of the road that is meant to help with drainage will also put an unequal stress on your legs which can lead to IT Band friction sydrome, as well as shin splints, back pain, hip pain, knee pain…

Too much information…don’t freak out about it, especially if you haven’t had any issues in the past.

Seated IT Band Stretch

I don’t claim to be an expert, but as far as the run, I’ve been told that one of the best ways to increase running speed to a certain level is to do intervals at the quicker pace.

For example, if you decide to run a 6:30 2K, determine what pace this is, and then run as far as you can at that pace. Rest as long as necessary, and then continue again at the correct pace.

Every time you run, try to make it a little further before you have to stop and rest. Pretty soon, you’ll make it all the way at the faster pace. This has the advantage over other methods in that it gets you to pacing correctly from the start, thus come test time your body will instinctively run at that pace.

I’ve done this to some extent myself for similar reasons and it’s worked for me, although you have a considerable way to go in a pretty short time and you may find you just don’t have the time to make it. Regardless, I think it’s worth a shot.

Best of luck.