Army, Cardio, Prevent Strength Loss

Hi guys,

In about 3 weeks I’ll be in the Swedish army doing my (compulsory…) duty. I probably won’t have more than one day each week to train on and food will be restricted. How do you guys think I should train to prevent losing strength? I’m not a competetive powerlifter of any sorts but I’m training for strength, not unfunctional hypertrophy.

This is how my routine looks atm:

A1 Squats
A2 Snatch-grip deadlifts
B1 Bench press
B2 Barbell rows
C1 Military press
C2 Chins
Cable crunches

2-3 sets of each exercise for 3-5 reps (slightly more on the crunches). A1-A2, B1-B2 are supersets of course, with enough rest apart.

Thanks,

Johannes

Can you spend 15 to 25 minutes to do one or two lifts a day and rotate through what’s important to you? You may find short, low rep workouts easier to fit into wherever you have time, instead of having to find a big empty block of time.

[quote]Pete Ross wrote:
Can you spend 15 to 25 minutes to do one or two lifts a day and rotate through what’s important to you? You may find short, low rep workouts easier to fit into wherever you have time, instead of having to find a big empty block of time.[/quote]
That’s pretty interesting… but I will be spending a lot of time out in the woods (from a couple of days to two weeks sometimes) so I will have to workout when I get back to the “regiment”. Ideally I will have one day each week to workout, sometimes not even that, sometimes more I guess but assume I got one day per week :slight_smile:

Cumpulsory military training in European countries is, I have learned, detrimental to lifting.

Case in point:

My dad told me a story of when he went skiing in France in the mid-80’s. He was told that the instructor at the top of the mountain was actually doing his service for the army. My dad was told that if he didn’t buy this guy lunch, he basically wouldn’t get to eat that day.

Just be happy knowing that it’s only temporary.