Armstrong - NYC Marathon

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
conorh wrote:
I always thought Lance was a douche after he divorced the woman who stuck with him through so much shit for so long to be with that skag he’s with now.

Didn’t he dump Crow because she has breast cancer?[/quote]

No. And you shouldn’t be spreading rumors. They broke up for personal reasons before she was diagnosed. And in an interview, she stated that he was very supportive of her through her ordeal though they were not together.

[quote]jkar wrote:
altimus wrote:
huslinbriks wrote:
Three hours sucks huge nuts. Normally I wouldn’t dog a guy but he was talking 2:20 and has since been a colossal joke in the running community so that’s what he gets. I can’t believe he got Hicham El Guerrouj to pace him

3 hours isn’t blazing, true, but I heard him say he was aiming for sub-3hr, which he did, albeit by 30 seconds. He also had distance legend Alberto Salazar help pace him as well, with H.E.G. running the final 6 miles with him. They all run for Nike so I saw it as a marketing ploy and nothing more.

A sub three hour marathon is a remarkable accomplishment. For Lance Armstong, maybe not, but for the majority of long distance runners it’s a goal most will never achieve. I’ve met countless people over the years who have complete marathons but never anyone who has finished in under 3 hrs. It’s much more difficult than you think.
[/quote]

Well, it’s really what someone before said. A 300lb bench might be viewed as a remarkable accomplishment by many. I think many here would consider it a solid achievement but nothing remarkable. A 3 hr marathon is in the same category. It is certainly an achievement. But nothing remarkable to serious runners. That is not to say that everyone is capable of achieving it, but the same applies for a 300 lb bench.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
GymGeek wrote:
Everyone talking smack about 3 hrs is an absolute joke. How many of you clowns have run 26.2 miles? I ran the marathon yesterday and not one single runner was upset about the Lance coverage. I have friends who ran sub 2:40. My time was 4:49. Don’t talk shit you don’t know anything about.

Well, I’ve run a half-marathon. And ran track and cross-country in college. At a pretty high level. 3 hours is not a stellar time. What IS true is that there’s no reason why Lance should be held to a higher standard. He is not trained as a competitive distance runner and did not hold himself out to be. I don’t know where people got that idea. Nothing I’ve read or seen on the subject suggests that he did.[/quote]

You raise a good point here. Just because you trained your body to win 7 Tours does not automatically mean you will be a great runner. Yes your cardio will be good and you will know how to control your heart rate but the muscles you use to run and how they are used are different than cycling. So to think that just because he was the greatest cyclist of all time does not automatically put him in an elite runner category.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
conorh wrote:
I always thought Lance was a douche after he divorced the woman who stuck with him through so much shit for so long to be with that skag he’s with now.

Didn’t he dump Crow because she has breast cancer?

No. And you shouldn’t be spreading rumors. They broke up for personal reasons before she was diagnosed. And in an interview, she stated that he was very supportive of her through her ordeal though they were not together.[/quote]

I don’t believe it. The timing is too suspicious.

Certainly it’s just for fun/publicity.

If he wanted to be an “elite athlete” in some crossover sport, he could have picked ice skating like Eric Heiden or maybe cross country skiing…
… though I suppose there’s not much fame in that.

[quote]T-Doff wrote:
Certainly it’s just for fun/publicity.

If he wanted to be an “elite athlete” in some crossover sport, he could have picked ice skating like Eric Heiden or maybe cross country skiing…
… though I suppose there’s not much fame in that.
[/quote]

Orrrrr… maybe he likes to run… After all he did do triathlons early in his career.

jsbrook wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
conorh wrote:

No. And you shouldn’t be spreading rumors. They broke up for personal reasons before she was diagnosed. And in an interview, she stated that he was very supportive of her through her ordeal though they were not together.

I don’t believe it. The timing is too suspicious.[/quote]

I have no response to this other than to say that I have no response to this

First of all it’s not easy being a clown. It’s long hours and living in a circus environment is not all that much fun. I mean, you get up every day and paint your face bright white with a happy smile. Then you can start talking smack pal!!!

Until then shut your freaking mouth.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
conorh wrote:

No. And you shouldn’t be spreading rumors. They broke up for personal reasons before she was diagnosed. And in an interview, she stated that he was very supportive of her through her ordeal though they were not together.[/quote]

I wonder if he was supportive of the wife he was cheating on with Cheryl Crow? I don’t want to judge him, he might have been.

The gap between male and female finish times is closing in tremendously and it’s awesome to see women finishing in times like these.

Does anyone know if Paula Radcliffe raced in NYC?

As for Armstrong, good for him. I think it’s a great accomplishment for anyone to complete a marathon. No big deal if his time wasn’t ridiculous… the guy is a cyclist, not a runner!

[quote]proxy wrote:
The gap between male and female finish times is closing in tremendously and it’s awesome to see women finishing in times like these.

As for Armstrong, good for him. I think it’s a great accomplishment for anyone to complete a marathon. No big deal if his time wasn’t ridiculous… the guy is a cyclist, not a runner![/quote]

Radcliffe is seven or eight months pregnant, so she didn’t run. She did say, though, that she plans to compete again next year and race Beijing in '08.

Next year in NYC will be ridiculous, with the mens Olympic marathon trials in Central Park on Saturday, and the big race on Sunday.

[quote]Smitty88 wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
conorh wrote:

I wonder if he was supportive of the wife he was cheating on with Cheryl Crow? I don’t want to judge him, he might have been.
[/quote]

You all sound like hens at a hair salon. And that’s the truth. You don’t know him or any of the people involved. You have no idea when the relationship started with Crow. There was zero allegations of infidelity from any of the parties involved, and that is rarely the case.

[quote]proxy wrote:

As for Armstrong, good for him. I think it’s a great accomplishment for anyone to complete a marathon. No big deal if his time wasn’t ridiculous… the guy is a cyclist, not a runner![/quote]

Yeah, Radcliffe is pregnant. too bad Deena had a disappointing race. There were some high hopes there. But there is always next time. The women’s world record is damn fast. Much faster than the wining time in this marathon. It is really nice to see!

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
proxy wrote:

Yeah, Radcliffe is pregnant. too bad Deena had a disappointing race. There were some high hopes there. But there is always next time. The women’s world record is damn fast. Much faster than the wining time in this marathon. It is really nice to see![/quote]

Well, now I’m all up to speed on my marathon gossip - thanks guys!

Kastor put in such a phenomenal finish in Athens - I too was a bit surprised at her finish in NYC. Catherine Ndereba right where she should be, in the top 3, but much slower than normal…
I think her record breaker was something like 2h18.
Reeeediculous!

[quote]jsbrook wrote:

You all sound like hens at a hair salon. And that’s the truth. You don’t know him or any of the people involved. You have no idea when the relationship started with Crow. There was zero allegations of infidelity from any of the parties involved, and that is rarely the case.[/quote]

You are defending someone you don’t even know who dumped his wife to be with another woman and then dumped her at the same time she had breast cancer.

He is an amazing endurance athlete and also a jerk.

Your hero worship is misplaced.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Smitty88 wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
conorh wrote:

You all sound like hens at a hair salon. And that’s the truth. You don’t know him or any of the people involved. You have no idea when the relationship started with Crow. There was zero allegations of infidelity from any of the parties involved, and that is rarely the case.[/quote]

How do you know that I don’t know him? I think you are assuming because YOU don’t know him that none of us know him.

jsbrook wrote:

You all sound like hens at a hair salon. And that’s the truth. You don’t know him or any of the people involved. You have no idea when the relationship started with Crow. There was zero allegations of infidelity from any of the parties involved, and that is rarely the case.

You are defending someone you don’t even know who dumped his wife to be with another woman and then dumped her at the same time she had breast cancer.

He is an amazing endurance athlete and also a jerk.

Your hero worship is misplaced.[/quote]

I’m not defending anyone at all. I’m simply not attacking someone I don’t know in relation to a situation I know nothing about. Much to their credit, the divorce between Lance and his wife was not much publicized. Neither was the relationship with Crow. Even when there is a lot of publicity surrounding celebrites, no one really knows enough to take sides let alone in this case.

[quote]Smitty88 wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Smitty88 wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
conorh wrote:

How do you know that I don’t know him? I think you are assuming because YOU don’t know him that none of us know him.

[/quote]

Congratulations if you know him. Then maybe you have knowledge and basis to criticize how he counducts his personal life.

In his book he says he had a different girlfriend,Lisa, that stuck through him during his cancer diagnosis/treatment. He then meet his future wife, Kristin, right after he was cancer free but prior to coming back to cycling.

More interesting is that his ex-wife, Kristn Armstrong, started marathon running as a way of dealing with her divorce. She is a writer for runners world and has run the NY marathon a few times. I thought this was a bit weird. Don’t know how I would feel if my ex end up running in the exact marathon that I ran annually. Who knows maybe they wanted it as a family thing.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Smitty88 wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Smitty88 wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
conorh wrote:

Congratulations if you know him. Then maybe you have knowledge and basis to criticize how he counducts his personal life.
[/quote]

My point is YOU have noright to criticize me! You are guilty of the very thing you are trying to accuse me of.