Arms Won't Grow

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Mike T. wrote:
Get your nutrition in track, unless you’re really young, standing 6’2 and 215 pounds with 3 years training under your belt your numbers should be a-lot higher. Especially when you are doing a strength specialized program. So higher numbers mean bigger arms… but… the way I would go at it would be to use these lifts, but do them in a different range pattern. Example, for the bench press you could add more board presses in that would use your tricep more.

For the OHP I would make sure your elbows are in and parallel to your shoulder blades. Bigger triceps mean much bigger arm.
On the deadlifts, you could make sure you are using the over/over grip to blow up those forearms.
Ahh, the squats. Every body know squats and milk and creatine in your socks[/quote]

Ah yes, the big 3 for bigger arms!

Hope this is a joke btw…thanks for the lulz. [/quote]
Huh? I’m not sure what you mean there. You are saying bench presses with a decent sized arch and tucked elbows don’t build big triceps?

[quote]DSSG wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Mike T. wrote:
Get your nutrition in track, unless you’re really young, standing 6’2 and 215 pounds with 3 years training under your belt your numbers should be a-lot higher. Especially when you are doing a strength specialized program. So higher numbers mean bigger arms… but… the way I would go at it would be to use these lifts, but do them in a different range pattern. Example, for the bench press you could add more board presses in that would use your tricep more.

For the OHP I would make sure your elbows are in and parallel to your shoulder blades. Bigger triceps mean much bigger arm.
On the deadlifts, you could make sure you are using the over/over grip to blow up those forearms.
Ahh, the squats. Every body know squats and milk and creatine in your socks[/quote]

Huh? I’m not sure what you mean there. You are saying bench presses with a decent sized arch and tucked elbows don’t build big triceps? [/quote]

Not gonna start this debate. It’s all over TNation already and we’re not gonna get anywhere…lol.

Lol yep. I probably shouldn’t of said anything about it. It builds the triceps like squats (big sit back, semi wide stance, low bar, not super upright) build the quads. And the same as deadlifts build the back…

INB4 lynching

[quote]DSSG wrote:
Lol yep. I probably shouldn’t of said anything about it. It builds the triceps like squats (big sit back, semi wide stance, low bar, not super upright) build the quads. And the same as deadlifts build the back…

INB4 lynching[/quote]

I’m the one who started it…hahaha.

Look up JM’s article on arms training on this site…seriously one of the better ones out there.

I only train biceps during arm days…I press heavy 3-4x a week. The only isolation triceps I perform are rope pulldowns at the end of pressing session to get blood pumping. Keep in mind I’m more powerlifting oriented and I’m pretty happy with my tricep development. I absolutely hate training biceps and I only do so because they looked like shit…lol

If you see any arm training advise that involves chin-ups…run the f**k away

I noticed I didn’t recommend tricep accessory work. I sort of mentioned it, but didn’t recommend it. I highly recommend it. While I’m getting nice growth without it, I used to do it, and I’ll do it again if that’s what it takes to get 20 inch arms by the end of the year.

I forgot to mention it because my triceps grow crazy fast, and I’ve been trying do it the hard way by only doing accessory work for my biceps, and I’ve been meeting my goals.

My favorite accessory work is cable press downs.

What zraw said. concentrate on the muscle, think of it as you lift. I’ve only recently learned that when I can’t do this, it is because I’m using too much weight, and the body takes over to move the weight any which way.

Arnold said something that became a cliche, but I think it is true: imagine your muscle working as you move the weight, imagine it pumping up. It is a good cue for me. All this requires using lower weights, but the results are starting to arrive in that department.

Regarding medial delts, Meadow’s methods work well for me (also rear). Apparently, it responds to a different type of work than the front delt. Again, mind-muscle connection is key. its not about lifting slow, its about thinking of the working muscle. IT sounded silly to me, until I started to get it right…

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]Dlouda wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys.

@ruhlfan

Twice as week as in - train tris with chest and bis with back and then have an extra “arm” day later in the week as well?
For example:
Mon- chest/tri
Tues- back/bi
Wed- legs
Thurs- shoulders
Fri- arms

@Gato10

All I ever did was BB curls/DB hammer curls while on 5/3/1 because of the “bang for your buck” mindset when choosing exercises. To be honest, all that they’ve ever done for me is made my forearms grow (my forearms are definitely more developed than my upper arms from all the deads and chins and kroc rows). I don’t do them anymore, and have been toying with the lower weight/high rep/low rest “isolation” movements and chasing the pump.

@zraw

Sound advice, I’ll keep in mind to hold constant tension on the Bi’s, because I usually don’t, especially when my arms fatigue and I can’t squeeze the weight anymore. Also how would you keep constant tension with alternating db curls?[/quote]

you wouldnt do them :D[/quote]

You can keep constant tension with alternating curls by keeping the non-moving arm at the top of the movement in peak contraction.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/mondays_with_thibaudeau_the_constant_tension_alternate_curl

Lol

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Mike T. wrote:

3:) what gave it away?