T Nation

Arms Won't Grow!

Chest, legs, back… all looking great (relatively). I’ve added a total of about 20 pounds over the last year of mostly lean mass… but my arms are stuck…

I typically go back->chest->triceps->biceps when I lift, so I’m not “fresh” when I hit the tris and bis… which is where I’m hoping to grow now. But the first few exercises are typically “compound” lifts that hit them as well.

Is this the problem?

Typically I’ll do dips, or tricep curls, or those pulldown things. Biceps are various curls: bar or dumbbell.

Any advice is appreciated.

Give your amrs and chest a separate day?

[quote]Liv92 wrote:
Give your amrs and chest a separate day? [/quote]

Yeah?

I’m moving more from “conditioning” where I was interested in things like doing twenty dead-hang pullups, and running five miles in a half-hour, to bulking/aesthetics.

I typically have two lower body days, and two upper body days and a third mostly upper body day where I’ll do something non-conventional and mix it up.

I also do lots of cardio (HIT twenty-min 5x a week + steady state/run/hike when I feel like or can… my “off days” are typically 45min-1hour easy steady state cardio… mostly just to zone out or watch TV).

Is too much cardio a contributor? I’d assume my chest, back and legs wouldn’t be growing like they have if that’s the case… but I don’t really know…

You’ve not presented nearly enough information. How exactly does you training week look. What sort of weights are you pushing (CG Bench, skullcrushers, curls, rows?) And really, I want to see a picture; chances are it’s not your arms that are “small”, but simply you.

[quote]Spartiates wrote:
a third mostly upper body day where I’ll do something non-conventional and mix it up.
[/quote]

Rename this one “Arm Day”

Or split your upper body day into a push day and a pull day. Hit your triceps harder since they make up most of your arm.

[quote]leaftye wrote:
Or split your upper body day into a push day and a pull day. Hit your triceps harder since they make up most of your arm.[/quote]

This, or just do an arm day.

Try add in more frequency for the arms. Like they say maybe a seperate arms day. I found extra frequency has gave my arms an extra half inch in the last few weeks alone which is brilliant. Try some hammer curls, pinwheel curls with the DB’s.

And eat more.

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
You’ve not presented nearly enough information. How exactly does you training week look. What sort of weights are you pushing (CG Bench, skullcrushers, curls, rows?) And really, I want to see a picture; chances are it’s not your arms that are “small”, but simply you.

[/quote]

Thursday is upper body + HIT intervals
Friday is Lower Body + HIT intervals (and maybe some steady state… like a run if I’m in the mood)
Saturday is same as Thursday
Sunday same as Friday
Monday is my “other” weight day, where I do more body-weight type work, pullups, pushups, dips, medicine ball stuff + HIT intervals
Tuesday and Wednesday are “off” which means easy steady state for 20min+ just to get my heart-rate up for a bit.

An upper body day might typically go row to bench to dips to curls. I start with compound lifts and go to simpler ones.

I’m 5’11" and 194 now, I guess that’s small…

[quote]Tatsu wrote:
And eat more.[/quote]

x2

You probably need at least 4000 calories/day with your activity level.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
Tatsu wrote:
And eat more.

x2[/quote]

But what about maintaining my my SIck ABZ?

[quote]Spartiates wrote:
B rocK wrote:
Tatsu wrote:
And eat more.

x2

But what about maintaining my my SIck ABZ?[/quote]

say bye bye! lol

[quote]B rocK wrote:
Spartiates wrote:
B rocK wrote:
Tatsu wrote:
And eat more.

x2

But what about maintaining my my SIck ABZ?

say bye bye! lol[/quote]

Because he wants to keep his “hawt abz” I assume he actually has a proportionate build, but, rather he wants oversized biceps to go with his “hawt abz”.

Justtt an assumption here :slight_smile:

So out of that 20 pounds of lean mass, none of it went to your arms?

[quote]Papa Nick wrote:
So out of that 20 pounds of lean mass, none of it went to your arms?[/quote]

lolz

HIIT with lower body/upperbody together back-to-back sounds pretty CNS intensive. Maybe you should re-analyze your week template.

Depending on which variable you care more for (Cardiovascular/resistance training) example could be something along the lines of

M - upperbody
T - Lowerbody
w - HIIT
T - upperbody
F - lowerbody
S - NEPA
S - NEPA

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

Typically I’ll do dips, or tricep curls, or those pulldown things. Biceps are various curls: bar or dumbbell.

Any advice is appreciated.[/quote]

tricep curls?

‘pulldown things’

lol.