T Nation

Arms Twice a Week?

I wanted to know your thoughts on training arms twice a week. At the moment im only curling 40lb dumbells for 8 reps with good form and im starting to stall in growth. I was wonderibg if hittin them twice would do any good?

I was planning to do 18 sets if biceps and triceps (obviously 9 sets for each muscle ) on arm day and then add 5 sets on back and chest day. I take all of my sets to failure or atleast until I cant complete another rep with good form.

Hitting any bodypart twice a week is great for growth as long as you recover well. I wouldn’t go to failure too much though, not good for recovery and strength. I would go to failure on the last set of each exercise.

Adding to his, you don’t need to focus too much on weight when working arms, especially if it’s twice a week (you’ll hurt yourself). If you end up doing twice a week, keep them as far away from chest and back as you can and focus on feeling the muscle. And I agree with his advice on going to failure.

[quote]Bmacres wrote:
Adding to his, you don’t need to focus too much on weight when working arms, [/quote]

???

Disagree completely.

Good luck getting arms over 19" without being a beast with the weight also.

This is a bodybuilding forum, right?

[quote]Bmacres wrote:
Adding to his, you don’t need to focus too much on weight when working arms, especially if it’s twice a week (you’ll hurt yourself). If you end up doing twice a week, keep them as far away from chest and back as you can and focus on feeling the muscle. And I agree with his advice on going to failure.
[/quote]

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA…

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Bmacres wrote:
Adding to his, you don’t need to focus too much on weight when working arms, [/quote]

???

Disagree completely.

Good luck getting arms over 19" without being a beast with the weight also.

This is a bodybuilding forum, right?[/quote]

2nd that.

People get the idea that arms only require lots of perfect reps with light weights. Maybe from watching guys like Kai do lightweight arm routines? But guys like Kai still go heavy as shit on a normal basis.

God, I am doing things SO wrong.

Lol. What to do what to do


Assuming you have everything else control - diet, sleep etc. you should try shifting your training. Like instead of widegrip pullup, do chinup (more on biceps, less lats).

Or instead of doing 8reps 3sets you can try GVT style 10x10 with 68% 1RM. Also, there is research of doing loads of curls with 30% 1RM will give hyperthropy, but I havent seen any big guy doing this tactic, it will also not increase strength. Or then just go heavy 4-6 rep curls for awhile to get strength more.

[quote]NikH wrote:
Assuming you have everything else control - diet, sleep etc. you should try shifting your training. Like instead of widegrip pullup, do chinup (more on biceps, less lats).

Or instead of doing 8reps 3sets you can try GVT style 10x10 with 68% 1RM. Also, there is research of doing loads of curls with 30% 1RM will give hyperthropy, but I havent seen any big guy doing this tactic, it will also not increase strength. Or then just go heavy 4-6 rep curls for awhile to get strength more.

[/quote]

Will GVT still work if I use 67.5456821%?

If you mean two days dedicated to arms exclusively; I wonder what you are not training in order to make that happen.

Iron_made dude im just basically paraphrasing

and

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Bmacres wrote:
Adding to his, you don’t need to focus too much on weight when working arms, [/quote]

???

Disagree completely.

Good luck getting arms over 19" without being a beast with the weight also.

This is a bodybuilding forum, right?[/quote]

Because zraw and meadows is doing it everyone recommends it
Atleast how I’m seeing it this lately (no disrespect on both there parts zraw is one of the best physiques on the site and meadows is a bonafide monster).
If you are at a level advance guys like zraw or px or anyone else that’s obviously advance I truely believe and seen that less weight more muscle mind connection is better
But everyone else who does it as a beginner has small arms
If your not that level you need to focus on weight progression (obviously with good form, not humping the barbell up in the air during curls) and obviously make sure that your feeling it in the bicep/tricep
Everyone that I’ve seen being successful always did this starting out and then switched to the other method when they were advance
I’m not saying weight at all costs and not feel the muscle

[quote]texas man wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Bmacres wrote:
Adding to his, you don’t need to focus too much on weight when working arms, [/quote]

???

Disagree completely.

Good luck getting arms over 19" without being a beast with the weight also.

This is a bodybuilding forum, right?[/quote]

Because zraw and meadows is doing it everyone recommends it
Atleast how I’m seeing it this lately (no disrespect on both there parts zraw is one of the best physiques on the site and meadows is a bonafide monster).
If you are at a level advance guys like zraw or px or anyone else that’s obviously advance I truely believe and seen that less weight more muscle mind connection is better
But everyone else who does it as a beginner has small arms
If your not that level you need to focus on weight progression (obviously with good form, not humping the barbell up in the air during curls) and obviously make sure that your feeling it in the bicep/tricep
Everyone that I’ve seen being successful always did this starting out and then switched to the other method when they were advance
I’m not saying weight at all costs and not feel the muscle [/quote]

? I go “lighter” often now…but “light” for me is curling a 50-55lbs dumbbell with damn near perfect form and holding the peak contraction.

It takes a lot of strength to do that. I think people are confused in bodybuilding by the weight used alone and not what is being done with it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]texas man wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Bmacres wrote:
Adding to his, you don’t need to focus too much on weight when working arms, [/quote]

???

Disagree completely.

Good luck getting arms over 19" without being a beast with the weight also.

This is a bodybuilding forum, right?[/quote]

Because zraw and meadows is doing it everyone recommends it
Atleast how I’m seeing it this lately (no disrespect on both there parts zraw is one of the best physiques on the site and meadows is a bonafide monster).
If you are at a level advance guys like zraw or px or anyone else that’s obviously advance I truely believe and seen that less weight more muscle mind connection is better
But everyone else who does it as a beginner has small arms
If your not that level you need to focus on weight progression (obviously with good form, not humping the barbell up in the air during curls) and obviously make sure that your feeling it in the bicep/tricep
Everyone that I’ve seen being successful always did this starting out and then switched to the other method when they were advance
I’m not saying weight at all costs and not feel the muscle [/quote]

? I go “lighter” often now…but “light” for me is curling a 50-55lbs dumbbell with damn near perfect form and holding the peak contraction.

It takes a lot of strength to do that. I think people are confused in bodybuilding by the weight used alone and not what is being done with it.[/quote]
I meant light relatively speaking to strength
Sorry if it wasn’t clear
Ik you’ve said before you’ve gone as high as the 80s+
Because you need that strength before you could do effectively what your doing now

[quote]texas man wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]texas man wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Bmacres wrote:
Adding to his, you don’t need to focus too much on weight when working arms, [/quote]

???

Disagree completely.

Good luck getting arms over 19" without being a beast with the weight also.

This is a bodybuilding forum, right?[/quote]

Because zraw and meadows is doing it everyone recommends it
Atleast how I’m seeing it this lately (no disrespect on both there parts zraw is one of the best physiques on the site and meadows is a bonafide monster).
If you are at a level advance guys like zraw or px or anyone else that’s obviously advance I truely believe and seen that less weight more muscle mind connection is better
But everyone else who does it as a beginner has small arms
If your not that level you need to focus on weight progression (obviously with good form, not humping the barbell up in the air during curls) and obviously make sure that your feeling it in the bicep/tricep
Everyone that I’ve seen being successful always did this starting out and then switched to the other method when they were advance
I’m not saying weight at all costs and not feel the muscle [/quote]

? I go “lighter” often now…but “light” for me is curling a 50-55lbs dumbbell with damn near perfect form and holding the peak contraction.

It takes a lot of strength to do that. I think people are confused in bodybuilding by the weight used alone and not what is being done with it.[/quote]
I meant light relatively speaking to strength
Sorry if it wasn’t clear
Ik you’ve said before you’ve gone as high as the 80s+
Because you need that strength before you could do effectively what your doing now
[/quote]

Watch those vids from CO with CT. He didn’t have me going heavy…but doing those exercises in that way makes them harder.

that’s pretty sick prof x

I think progression on the weight used is good, but it’s easy to go nuts and use too much momentum. Over the course of your curling career you’ll go from using 15 lbs to 90ish, so it’s not like you can add 5 lbs a week. get stronger but make sure it’s also your biceps moving most of the weight even as the weight gets heavier

Go as heavy as you can for the form you use.

Always train heavy, but the term "heavy’ is relative.

You guys throw around train “light” and I know what you mean, but other people do not take it that way.

You gotta explain more about changing form and working the muscle etc. It comes off as if you’re saying swing the 15lb dbs around.

FST7