T Nation

Arms and Mass

Will dedicating a day of isolation moves for arms be beneficial for mass gains? I am sticking with the compounds,. (BP,. DL,. Squats, Rows etc.,) However I am not gaining any arm strength.

[quote]just1joel wrote:
Will dedicating a day of isolation moves for arms be beneficial for mass gains? I am sticking with the compounds,. (BP,. DL,. Squats, Rows etc.,) However I am not gaining any arm strength.[/quote]

I would add some iso work to your work out days and not an entire day to it.

adding some curls and dips or something like that.

[quote]just1joel wrote:
Will dedicating a day of isolation moves for arms be beneficial for mass gains? I am sticking with the compounds,. (BP,. DL,. Squats, Rows etc.,) However I am not gaining any arm strength.[/quote]

If you are benching and rowing heavy, and not seeing gains in ‘arm strength’(your ability to curl I guess?), then you’re doing something wrong. Add some isolation exercises at the end of your workout if you want, but be honest about your reasons. How much ‘arm strength’ do you need in relation to your ability to push and pull heavy objects?

if you want to get stronger in your arms…work on your arms

If focusing on the big lifts, (and getting good numbers in them) you probably just need to tweak things a bit by throwing in 10 mins beach work at the end of each session.

Just doing close grip benching for a couple weeks at a time and/or heavy rack lockouts can help if triceps are stubborn

I usually let how I feel after the big movements determine if I do any iso work that day. If I feel fried, I’ll skip them. If I feel like I’ve got some gas left in the tank, I’ll do a couple of sets to compliment whatever I did that day. It’s been working for me, seeing consistently bigger numbers all around.

[quote] Carlospimpos wrote:
If focusing on the big lifts, (and getting good numbers in them) you probably just need to tweak things a bit by throwing in 10 mins beach work at the end of each session.

Just doing close grip benching for a couple weeks at a time and/or heavy rack lockouts can help if triceps are stubborn[/quote]

x2

OF COURSE YOU SHOULD BE TRAINING YOUR ARMS

Why would you NOT?

Just what do you mean by mass gains? Iso moves will help you gain mass in your arms if thats what your looking for, but not mass overall.

When people say big compounds for huge mass gains they generally mean total body beef. In that case your arms will grow as your body as a whole grows, and get stronger as your body as a whole gets stronger. Being that, that is a small link in the chain your arms will gain the slowest just doing compounds.

[quote]mr popular wrote:

Why would you NOT?[/quote]

I haven’t for the last couple months. My goals are totally based on powerlifting. I’ll probably add arm work during my next training cycle because I’ve become pretty tricep dominated with just push/pulls.

I think the biceps need extra stimulation but not a huge amount ie 3-4 sets once or twice a week if beginner or intermediate, and the triceps need little to none depending on your pressing numbers heavy floor pressesm bench presses, and overhead pressing has built my triceps up more then any iso work has.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
mr popular wrote:

Why would you NOT?

I haven’t for the last couple months. My goals are totally based on powerlifting. I’ll probably add arm work during my next training cycle because I’ve become pretty tricep dominated with just push/pulls.

I think the biceps need extra stimulation but not a huge amount ie 3-4 sets once or twice a week if beginner or intermediate, and the triceps need little to none depending on your pressing numbers heavy floor pressesm bench presses, and overhead pressing has built my triceps up more then any iso work has.[/quote]

Once again you seem to be confusing YOUR GOALS with everyone else’s.

The OP said he’s looking for mass gains.

The best way to gain mass in the arms is to train them just as intensely as every other bodypart (while gradually increasing your bodyweight).

I have to admit ive been doing rippletoes for 2-3 months now and the biceps dont seem to grow at all. Maybe im doing it ‘wrong’ but i honestly dont see where biceps play a major role in benches/military presses/rows/squats/deads.

Considering that the bicep is one of the few muscles visible unless yer naked or some redneck without a shirt on, it’s a pretty glaring flaw in the reason why most people lift weights… to look good.

If you wanna be ‘healthy’ go be a 90 lbs japanese woman… they live to 120.

J1J,
You might want to read up on the shotgun template.

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/the_shotgun_method&cr=

Keep working on the compounds and then hit up the “pivot point” muscles.

It’s a good read you might find something in there to help…

[quote]mr popular wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
mr popular wrote:

Why would you NOT?

I think the biceps need extra stimulation but not a huge amount ie 3-4 sets once or twice a week if beginner or intermediate, and the triceps need little to none depending on your pressing numbers heavy floor pressesm bench presses, and overhead pressing has built my triceps up more then any iso work has.

The best way to gain mass in the arms is to train them just as intensely as every other bodypart (while gradually increasing your bodyweight).[/quote]

ok, I thought you were making a blanket statement, I appologize. I agree with this, and would say pick one or two arm lifts tops, and focus on rep/weight progression on those two lifts, going all out with multiple lifts is just going leave your arms dead from lactic acid buildup.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
mr popular wrote:

Why would you NOT?

The best way to gain mass in the arms is to train them just as intensely as every other bodypart (while gradually increasing your bodyweight).[/quote]

If the OP’s only looking only for mass gains, then cutting the weight training out and adding in more pies to his diet would be a better approach. You ever seen any 500 pound ripped guys? What about 500 pound fat cunts?

What the fuck are you talking about “Woppa”?

OP asks question.
Zephead answers with what he thought was a helpful response.
You jump all over him with stuff about confusing his goals with the OP’s goals.

Yet your follow up post contains the following:
“The best way to gain mass…(while gradually increasing your bodyweight).”

Why not quickly increase the bodyweight as surely that’s a better way to gain mass?

Zephead gave what I thought was a relevant answer, and you were a dick about it. That’s all.

And what’s with the “quotes”?

Both rhetorical questions, as I don’t have time to argue with people on forums. Have a nice life.

I definatly believe in training arms either on their own day or with other muscle groups. Like any muscle group they will benefit from direct work. As for dedicating a whole day to isolation work, I would say not if by isolation work you mean concentration curls and kick backs rememberyou have to build the house before you paint it. I have had success with supersetting weighterd Dips and overhead extensions for tri’s and closegrip weighted chins and incline curls for bis. The rep set on the first exercise is usually something like 5x4-6 and the second is something like 5x10-12
In most cases optimal frequency for arms seems to be about once every 5 days. Good luck and I hope this helps.