T Nation

Arms and Chest!

i got a few questions first off what are a few ways to work the bottom of the pecs towards the nipple area, and also what are a few lifts to work the pec near the rotator cuff? a

nother thing is does anyone have any advise on getting larger arms? i know the arm is mostly tricep but i want larger bis i have been working them hard for about 3 months and gained significant strength but no size

it sounds like you are a noob to lifting. If you want to add size to your arms your going to have to gain weight, plain and simple. Focus on putting on overall mass by hitting your back, legs, and chest, and shoulders hard. With the weight gain will come bigger arms. To answer your chest question, stick to incline DB press and decline DB press.

I’m going to pass on some advice that I got when I asked a similar question a year or so ago. I was really concerned with my upper chest area.

Don’t worry about it, eat enough, and keep getting stronger.

But a more specific answer: dips and decline bench will put more stress on the lower chest. Incline supposedly does more upper chest. I think a lower incline DB bench press is a great exercise.

Chin ups and heavy rows will help your bis. and curls, I guess.

you mean arms and chest FTW!!!

[quote]boyscout wrote:
Chin ups and heavy rows will help your bis. and curls, I guess. [/quote]

I was a believer that direct arm work was not necessary. When I started doing direct arm work, my puny little 13" arms bumped up to be still puny 14,75" arms in just over a week (I’d like to see 1,75" gains in just over a week when they are 21 to start with instead of 13… woo haa).

I had been doing just chins and rows before that. I’m not saying that chins and rows shouldn’t be the main focus, but don’t forget direct arm work.

To the first question: decline dumbbell and barbell presses are good for chest isolation. It’s hard to really “isolate” a certain part of the pectorals, it’s all one muscle.

To the second: squat, deadlift, and bench. As Coach Poliquin says, you need to gain around fifteen pounds for every inch on your arms, so make sure you’re eating enough. Chinups are also excellent for arm development; supplement these with isolation exercises, especially if you’re tall, as you progress.

[quote]pinkponyz wrote:
but don’t forget direct arm work.[/quote]

I agree. I was the same for a while, but my arms really held my bench back as a result.

Direct arm work is a good thing!

Don’t just think about arms and chest. Look at the big picture. Your legs and back are the biggest muscles in your body. They play a big role in determining how big your other muscles can get.

Machines are awesome to overload the chest. Besides that flat bench bb/db, incline bench bb/db. Incline/flat flies. Dips and decline db/bb work hit lower part good also. All work great just vary your weights/reps and progress like everything else.

As for arms. You have two parts to the bicep. One gets greater stimulation via heavy weight and the other through lighter weight higher rep work. Just search around for this. Always mix it up.

[quote]Carlitosway wrote:
Don’t just think about arms and chest. Look at the big picture. Your legs and back are the biggest muscles in your body. They play a big role in determining how big your other muscles can get.

Machines are awesome to overload the chest. Besides that flat bench bb/db, incline bench bb/db. Incline/flat flies. Dips and decline db/bb work hit lower part good also. All work great just vary your weights/reps and progress like everything else.[/quote]

thanks alot man im not just focusing on my arms and chest, its just i am not making gains on them like my DL and squat. right now my bench is 270 squat is 380 and DL is 405. my arms are 16.5 but i work them all the time and i dont see any more progress. as for my chest i just want to look good

[quote]jck524 wrote:
it sounds like you are a noob to lifting. If you want to add size to your arms your going to have to gain weight, plain and simple. Focus on putting on overall mass by hitting your back, legs, and chest, and shoulders hard. With the weight gain will come bigger arms. To answer your chest question, stick to incline DB press and decline DB press. [/quote]

no i am not that new to lifting i have been lifting for about 4 years but not seriously. i went to boot camp lost alot of strength, sorta funny i guess, but now i am serious about lifting. really my arms are not small 16.5 but i want them over 20, but really what i want is gains, the ones that i am not gettin. as for putting on weight idk because i already weigh 210 and more weigh kinda sound crazy on me i am only 5’9’’