Armored Deadlift Socks Concept and Product

Like winter olympics curling?

Yes, but these guys would:

That was my first thought. I’m sure there are legit socks designed for curling.

I think, if you can find a way to make that work, you might have something in the strongman crowd. We’re notorious gearwhores, and something that makes a deadlift suit easier to get on AND reduces friction on a pull would go over well. I know the axle sticks like hell to my legs.

2 Likes

The entire fitness industry is built on marketing to suckers. If you can market this, I’m sure it’ll do fine. The “hardcore” sects in fitness be they strongman, powerlifting, bodybuilding, etc tend to be self sustaining… But like others have said if you aim for the crossfit crowd or the people that wear those weird-ass elevation masks I’m sure people will buy them…

1 Like

Funny, I was thinking of that when I first saw this thread.

There’s definitely at least some market for stuff like this, but it’s going to be the people who buy stuff because they think it looks badass.

1 Like

Jesus, why isn’t anyone stopping them from raping that poor guy?

It’s a jungle in there. Survival of the fittest douche my friend.

I think you did a great job Toby. From the idea, to the marketing on your page. I really think that you could sell MANY, MANY, of these things.

They may not appeal to seasoned Power Lifters, but like these other guys have said, there are people out there who will not be able to live without these things once they see them.

There is a dude at my gym who wears socks with wings on the ankles. There are a bunch of guys who wear all kinds of knee sleeves and long socks, wrist and elbow cuffs, and on and on… Some people love those sorts of things. I urge you not to be discouraged by any of these nay-sayers.

You might consider a model where you down-play the scale/armor look of the socks, but I would also think about extreme, in your face patterns too. People will want to show these things off.

Good luck! Stay the course! I’m looking forward to seeing lots of these socks around.

For further appeal to the douch croud, get some super ripped guy to do a demo video and say that the socks are the only reason he can deadlift, which is why he looks the way he does. Without the socks, he would have no chance of being as fit as he is. Bingo.

This guy gets it ^^^

No way!

You don’t want a ripped, roided out dude who will scare away your customers. You want a lean athletic guy with long swimmers muscles who will impress people with his realative strength and Rippetoe perfect technique. A “thinking lifter.” The sort of guy who has a cool training app on his I-watch.

1 Like

Just saw these advertised so I think you’ll be fine…

I am just apathetic about it. I personally never wear long socks outside of a meet, and I’ve never had anything worse than bruised shins.

I actually get badly torn up shins from pulling: not grazes, full on holes in my shin that take a couple of weeks to heal. I’ve recently started using plastic shin guards, which is worth noting are listed in legal equipment at least under GPC rules.

I like your idea, but I’m sceptical as to how well it’d work for someone like me. Unless there’s a solid block between the bar and my shins, they get torn to shit.

As to the whole douche/pussy/whatever debate, I don’t buy it. I’ve squatted a PR in meet when I hurt my back warming up badly enough I couldn’t stand up for 10 minutes, I’ve hit deadlift rep PRs with my throat half swollen shut and I’ve maxed on on the squat with three hours sleep. I’m not a hard bastard, but I’m not soft and I’ll do things to stop my shins getting torn up.