T Nation

Arm Wrestling

So i just found out i suck at arm wrestling. Everyone at my work can beat me... Which is dissapointing because everyone always comments on my build(not that im huge...but i noticably body build). So how does one become a better arm wrestler?

Get yourself an 18wheeler truck, get an airhorn, add a dumbell to it, and you'll work on your arm strength. And make sure you flip your hat backwards before you wrestle. 'Over the top'.

Okay, really technique is a huge part of it. Watch ESPN late at night, and you will see it's not always the biggest or strongest guys that win.
Wrist and forearm strength have as much to do with it as bicep strength. Wrist curls, reverse curls and hammer curls.
Isometric holds on barbell curls might be a good idea as well. Although not thought of well as a general strength builder, arm wrestling often has two guys locked in the same position and in turns into a test of endurance versus a test in strength. If you do this, be sure to vary your positions.

How about you get those a-holes you work with to come to the gym and KICK THEIR ASSES at something that matters.

Don't forget the shoulder strength. Internal rotators baby.

Check out:

http://www.eiyc.com

Good descriptions of basic technique.

Crushing grip and finger strength are major weapons. Work the grip, work hammer curls for forearm/biceps strength, and learn proper technique.

Yup, you gotta check out ESPN.
Plus put your shoulders into it.
Ron Bath at his age and in his prime is one of the best

LMFAO, this brings back memories of some buds and I drinking a few brews while watching the movie and trying to have our own drunken tournament.

Great Times, Cheesy Movie!

LMFAO, this brings back memories of some buds and I drinking a few brews while watching the movie and trying to have our own drunken tournament.

Great Times, Cheesy Movie!

yes Im sure this is whats mostly resposible.. . its certainly seems to be what holds me back. ..

I know how you feel, I can beat a guy in pullups and bench then he slams my wrist to the table.

these guys and gals are right u gotta get that wrist strength and i think tricep extensions help too because arm wrestling can be a pushing movement too.

"It's like a switch"

And you'd be better off abstaining from arm wrestling. I mean, not that I do, especially after a couple of beers. But the last time I did it I almost ripped my rotator cuff, and a buddy of mine just busted his elbow out doing it at a bar (it was not cool, and the cracking noises your arm can make are obscene).

In my experience, the closer I can keep my arm to my body, the more leverage I get. And I got short arms, which is the only good thing.