T Nation

Arm Training

I have been performing 15 sets for biceps and triceps. I train them twice a week! I doubt if I am overtraining.. If yes then please guide me! I have been training for one year.

Have you obtained any quantifiable results from training in this manner?

Sorry by mistake I wrote 5… It’s 15! I have been performing 12 sets and I made some progress! Recently I increased it to 15.

Where to start ummm… Which exercises? What weight? Which rep range? Do you mean 15 sets each workout or 15 sets spread over two workouts? Is your only question whether or not you’re over training or are you looking for some other type of advice?

[quote]kushal88 wrote:
I have been performing 12 sets and I made some progress! Recently I increased it to 15. [/quote]
Your thread from just two weeks ago said "How to increase arm strength? I have stuck on the same weight since long…"

So are you seeing progress or not? Real progress like measurably more muscle, more visible definition, and/or using more weight for more reps.

Is that 15 sets total (like 9 sets of biceps and 6 sets for triceps) or 15 sets for bis and 15 sets for tris? If you’re doing it twice a week, I hope it’s total.

Your profile says you’re 5’10", 98kg/216 pounds, and 15 years old. I’m going to go out on a limb and say, no, you don’t “need” to be doing 15 sets twice a week, but it depends (a bit) on your goals, nutrition, and especially what your other training looks like throughout the week.

Can you list the days, exercises, sets, and reps you do for the week (for everything, not just arms)?

15 sets separately. Rep range is 10. 5 kgs each side.

15 sets separately. I recently started doing 15 sets so I can’t say anything about progress.
Monday and Thursday are biceps. Routine - bicep curl, zottman curl, hammer curl and preacher curl.
Tuesday and Friday are triceps. Routine - bench dips, close grip benchpress, one arm overhead tricep extension and tricep rope extension

4 days for arms?
is this part of a total workout ?

Can you post your full workout routine in a format like

Monday- Biceps
exercise 1 sets x reps at weight
exercise 2 sets x reps at weight
etc.

Also include other days not just arms. Will be much easier to follow what you’re doing and offer opinions/critiques

Monday and Thursday -biceps
3 sets of 10 reps with 5 kg each side
Bicep curl, zottman curl, hammer curl, preacher curl and bicep 21s

Tuesday and friday- triceps
Closegrip benchpress, one arm overhead extension, dumbbell kickbacks, skull crushers and rope pushdown.

I think we should just let him do what he wants if it makes him happy. He doesn’t seem to be serious about this sport anyway.

At least he’s not taking drugs.

I need more than that to help. The way you describe it, you’re using the same weight in a close grip bench press as you are for a one arm tricep extension and tricep kick back. I don’t mean to be a dick, I just can’t offer any kind of opinion on that workout template.

[quote]kushal88 wrote:
I doubt if I am overtraining… If yes then please guide me!
[…]
Monday and Thursday -biceps
Bicep curl, zottman curl, hammer curl, preacher curl and bicep 21s

Tuesday and friday- triceps
Closegrip benchpress, one arm overhead extension, dumbbell kickbacks, skull crushers and rope pushdown.[/quote]
You’re not overtraining. You’re just training phenomenally inefficiently.

Do one of these programs, eat plenty of protein and not a ton of carbs, and you should be on track.

[quote]dt79 wrote:
At least he’s not taking drugs.[/quote]
I wouldn’t be surprised if this was not the case.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
At least he’s not taking drugs.[/quote]
I wouldn’t be surprised if this was not the case.[/quote]

Sigh… yeah after that stupid 15yr old kid posted his drug use all over social media.