Arm mass

1. How do you guys know how much this guy weighs? 2. How many guys at your average gym can bench press 315 at any bwt? Dan I think you should just increase your volume. Instead of doing sets of, say, 2-3 do 4-6 for a few months.

greg i agree at 18 yrs old and 240lbs i should be able to bench a clean 480lbs.MY ASS there is no way, maybe when im 19 ill be able to do 500 but not this year. haha

18 is young. Still Junior. Lifts donā€™t get serious until you hit 24 (open division). If you add 35lbs/year (3lbs/month) to your bench, how much will you be benching at 24? Anyone can bench 2x BW if they work smartly and consistently.

Greg,
i dont know where you are getting your numbers atā€¦but NO 114 lb guy benches over 350ā€¦Russian powerlifter Mary Jeffrey set the world record for his weight class with a 275lb pressā€¦not only does he weigh 9 lbs more than that ā€œ114lbā€ guy that you are talking about, but he doesnā€™t even bench close to 350ā€¦despite the fact that the numbers you gave are falsehoods, this type of talk about strength in a bodybuilding forum is ludicrousā€¦i dont know any serious body builder who has truly gotten ā€œbiggerā€ by concerning themselves with how much weight they put upā€¦powerlifting and bodybuilding are two different artsā€¦training for strength and training for mass arenā€™t even closly relatedā€¦you have to train specifically for your goalā€¦and if its getting bigger armsā€¦you better forget about the # printed on the side of the dumbbellā€¦leave the ego at the door, and start making gainsā€¦FORM is the key, and as long as you keep jerking those 50lb dumbbells youā€™ll make limited progress, if anyā€¦DONT JUST LIFT THE WEIGHT, FEEL THE MUSCLE WORKā€¦pick up the 20ā€™s, lift the weight with proper form, and youā€™ll be surprised at how fast your arms will growā€¦and all this talk about 4 reps, 5 reps, and 6 repsā€¦YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING TO PUT ON SOME SERIOUS MASS WITH THAT KIND OF REP RANGE?? i dont know what kind of grounds these guys have who are giving advice here, but that just isnā€™t going to work for massā€¦the 4-7 range is great for cutting a muscle up and achieving that rock hard look (due the the high amount of tension placed on the muscle because of the heavier weight), but if you are trying to get ā€œbigā€ā€¦the 8-12 rep range will be your saviorā€¦fill your guns out with high reps (8-12) and cut 'em up with the lower stuff (4-7)ā€¦and as far as my credentials are concernedā€¦iā€™m a certified trainer who has put on over 20 lbs of mass this year aloneā€¦195lbsā€¦7% body fatā€¦and oh yeah, MY BENCH: 225ā€¦end of storyā€¦forget about the plate weight, and start lifting the bar properly for superior gains in mass

www.powermagonline.com/latest-news/records.asp. 114lbs record is 391.3lbs. Do a little research next time.

i know nothing about the powerlifting records, but i put on 20 lbs. in 8 months. i did this by keeping the majority of my reps under 5. so it can be done using a lower rep range.

Iā€™m not sure why this thread deteriorated into bickering, but Iā€™m wondering why no one has asked how this guy trains. Dan, what does your current training scheme look like? It doesnā€™t sound like you do a normal bodybuilding routine since you mentioned not doing biceps lifts. What does your diet look like? How much do you weigh and how big are your arms now?

true. some people who put on muscle rather easily can do just about anything to gain massā€¦but for those of us who arenā€™t as genetically gifted, working in the 8-12 rep range will be far more beneificial than a lower rep rangeā€¦i dont know what your goals were while you stacked on an incredible 20 lbs (which is quite an accomplishment, and iā€™m def. not knocking you at all) but if it was strictly ā€œgaining massā€ then you may have even seen greater gains (possibly 30+ pounds) by working out with 8-12 repsā€¦with the right program of courseā€¦just give it a try is all imā€™ sayingā€¦it will probably be a good switch for you, being that you normally lift heavier weightsā€¦good luck buddy

try 21ā€™s for those who dont know what they are grab a curl bar use a moderate weight. take the bar up half way from your legs 7 times on the 7th take the bar up to your chest and do the opposite 7 times on the 7th do 7 full curls=21 it got arnold his massive biceps it should help for you. but keep in mind that you triceps are two/thirds of your arms so incorperate some tri exercises.

Joel, why do you mention Russian powerlifter Mary Jeffrey for the record? In most cases mary is a females name, and comparing a female to male record is a bit out.
In the IPF Mens 380 @ 114
Womens 265 @ 114

The more impressive is Yukako Fukushima, from japan who benched 271 @ 106 !!!

Wish people wouldnt post BS statements like a bench needs to be x2BW to be good and if itā€™s less itā€™s weak. You donā€™t have to be a meathead with a fat ass or a skinny POWERLIFTER to avoid being called weak. BW doesnā€™t damn matter unless youā€™re a powerlifter or minimising rom 300 takes the same work regardless of your fat ass.

You revived a 21 year old thread to say this?

2 Likes

Absolutely epic! I, for one, enjoy a good resurrection

4 Likes

I finally have the answer!

To a question, someone asked 21 years ago.

denzel-washington-pissed

2 Likes

Lion-O benches double bodyweight.

1 Like

:sweat_smile: Well, unfortunately the thread came up in a Google search and I had to register to reply. Only after posting did I see there were posts years earlier.

7 Likes

I was 12 then, 21 years later and my arms are still the same size, so maybe I should read this threadā€¦

2 Likes

1 Like

Allow me to introduce Intensemuscle forums standards:

I havenā€™t seen a guy who can squat 500 for 20 reps, bench press 500 for 15 and deadlift 500 for 15 who was small yet ā€”but I have seen a lot and I mean a lot of people in the gym and on these Internet forums that are a buck 65 or two and change, shouting that you donā€™t have to lift heavy to get big-DC

:rofl:

1 Like

This thread is older than I am by a couple years lol

And apparently my bench is weak. Not that I needed to be reminded

1 Like