Arm Growth While Hypocaloric?

I keep a log of my measurements over time, cals etc. Looking over it though, I see a pattern that I really can’t explain. My arms don’t seem to respond much to training, with direct arm work or just the big lifts.

Yet, the only times they do grow are during hypocaloric periods. I added half an inch to my arms the last time I went on a diet, which makes absolutely no sense. Anyone ever experience a similar result or have an explanation?

Weird. I’ve gained muscle and lost fat at the same time. But never more muscle than when in a mass building phase where there was some fat gain as well.

[quote]JohnGalt wrote:
I keep a log of my measurements over time, cals etc. Looking over it though, I see a pattern that I really can’t explain. My arms don’t seem to respond much to training, with direct arm work or just the big lifts.

Yet, the only times they do grow are during hypocaloric periods. I added half an inch to my arms the last time I went on a diet, which makes absolutely no sense. Anyone ever experience a similar result or have an explanation?[/quote]

…and this has led to you being how “big” now?

I never said I was big, I just said it was odd how my arms grow primarily while I’m dieting, and rarely change otherwise. They arent too large at 14 1/4 inches unflexed (all of which seems to be tricep). Gotta love the pump after a workout though, for 2 hours after i’m packing an extra inch :slight_smile:

[quote]JohnGalt wrote:
I never said I was big, I just said it was odd how my arms grow primarily while I’m dieting, and rarely change otherwise. They arent too large at 14 1/4 inches unflexed (all of which seems to be tricep). Gotta love the pump after a workout though, for 2 hours after i’m packing an extra inch :)[/quote]

Dude, at 14", they will grow simply because you are a man. That is small and you need to eat more.

[quote]JohnGalt wrote:
I never said I was big, I just said it was odd how my arms grow primarily while I’m dieting, and rarely change otherwise. They arent too large at 14 1/4 inches unflexed (all of which seems to be tricep). Gotta love the pump after a workout though, for 2 hours after i’m packing an extra inch :)[/quote]

Why have you been dieting? How fat were you when you started out?

220lb tub o fat, got down to 145 as I got into cycling. now i’m 180 and eating like a madman.

[quote]JohnGalt wrote:
220lb tub o fat, got down to 145 as I got into cycling. now i’m 180 and eating like a madman.[/quote]

Sounds good. I can’t imagine that you will not see your arms grow on a proper bulking diet and a solid training program. Good luck!

i dont understand i am about 176 pounds and i eat eat eat and work out but i never heard dieting makes ur arm bigger i got a 15inch arms i dont understand i mean i can do heavy strength wise i am good but its not making my arms bigger…

[quote]crestsider121 wrote:
i dont understand i am about 176 pounds and i eat eat eat and work out but i never heard dieting makes ur arm bigger i got a 15inch arms i dont understand i mean i can do heavy strength wise i am good but its not making my arms bigger…[/quote]

wow I ran out of breath just reading that :slight_smile:
I didn’t say its supposed to make your arms bigger, or that it will, just that the only times i’ve noticed mine grow are when I was eating less than I should have been. If you really want big arms, go read CT’s canadian cannons article (do a search). The guy really seems to know what he is talking about, so it should help.