Arm Exercise with 20 Rep Squats?

I’m scrawny and new-ish to lifting. I’m small all over, but smaller in my arms, proportionately. I want to grow all over, but grow my arms a little faster.

I’m doing a 20rep squat program, with overhead press, floor press, barbell rows, stiff-leg deadlifts, and straight-arm pullovers. (After the squats.) Obviously there’s a fair amount of indirect arm work in there.

What should I focus on to provide even more arm stimulus? Skullcrushers? Barbell Curls? Kickbacks? Something else?

What will affect arm size the most, as a beginner?

If I missed a good article, please point me that way too. Most everything I’ve read is targeted for an “arm day”, but I’m not at that point.

If you’re scrawny, the best answer is eat more. It’s really hard to gain significant arm size without gaining weight in general. Also, find me someone with a huge deadlift, bench press, and overhead press with small arms. That person does not exist. Something to think about.

In terms of direct arm training, use whichever exercises you can really feel targeting your arms. Any variation of curls, and something along the lines of skullcrushers or cable push downs is fine. Also, the main article on the front page today is about getting bigger arms. If you don’t want to do an arm day, it at least has a good selection of exercises to choose from. I also like supersetting bi and tri stuff for a quality pump, John Meadows and others favor that.

Interesting exercise selection. Where’d you get that program? Is it what you do every time you go to the gym? How often are you in the gym?

It’s found in many places, but here’s one of them… this link should take you right there: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/20_Rep_Squats#The_Original_20_Rep_Squat_Program_.28John_McCallum.2C_1968.29

I’m doing overhead presses instead of “behind the neck presses” based on cautionary tales. I’d rather avoid injury. And floor press instead of bench press, since I don’t have a bench.

Doing it 3x a week with a 5-10lbs increase in squats each time.

I just saw that arm article, and it seems like it might fit the bill. Good timing I suppose.

Targeted Compound Arm Training seems like a pretty good place to start. You are really going to have to find some exercises you like, give them some time and see if you get results. I notice I personally respond best to the exercises I hate doing(which in turn makes me love them).

[quote]LoRez wrote:
It’s found in many places, but here’s one of them… this link should take you right there: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/20_Rep_Squats#The_Original_20_Rep_Squat_Program_.28John_McCallum.2C_1968.29

I’m doing overhead presses instead of “behind the neck presses” based on cautionary tales. I’d rather avoid injury. And floor press instead of bench press, since I don’t have a bench.

Doing it 3x a week with a 5-10lbs increase in squats each time.

I just saw that arm article, and it seems like it might fit the bill. Good timing I suppose.[/quote]

every 20 rep squat program i have read up has barbell curls in them.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Also, find me someone with a huge deadlift, bench press, and overhead press with small arms. That person does not exist. Something to think about. [/quote]

Not trying to sharpshoot you here, because I know what your overall point is, but look at the lighter weight classes for powerlifting and you can find them.

[quote]ryno76 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Also, find me someone with a huge deadlift, bench press, and overhead press with small arms. That person does not exist. Something to think about. [/quote]

Not trying to sharpshoot you here, because I know what your overall point is, but look at the lighter weight classes for powerlifting and you can find them.[/quote]

The strongest lifters in the lower weight classes are shorter. Give me an example of, say, a 400lb bench presser with small arms. If you’re talking about guys with lower bench presses, you’re not talking about guys with huge lifts, so they don’t apply to what I said in the first place.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]ryno76 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

Not trying to sharpshoot you here, because I know what your overall point is, but look at the lighter weight classes for powerlifting and you can find them.[/quote]

The strongest lifters in the lower weight classes are shorter. Give me an example of, say, a 400lb bench presser with small arms. If you’re talking about guys with lower bench presses, you’re not talking about guys with huge lifts, so they don’t apply to what I said in the first place.[/quote]

Just wanted to make it clear… I got the original point. I’m already on my way adding mass (~5lbs after 2 weeks) and adding weight to my lifts.

Thanks for the advice/help.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

The strongest lifters in the lower weight classes are shorter. Give me an example of, say, a 400lb bench presser with small arms. If you’re talking about guys with lower bench presses, you’re not talking about guys with huge lifts, so they don’t apply to what I said in the first place.[/quote]

True, though their lifts are huge compared to their bodyweight. Anyway, my point was that it can be taken to extreme as some will advocate no direct arm work whatsoever. I know that wasn’t what you were saying, but beginners can quickly misconstrue your intent.

There was a lengthy thread here, I believe last year, where people were actually telling a noob not to do direct arm work. Again, I know that’s not what you were saying as you seem to know your shit.

that 20 rep power squat program sure looks fun…