Arm Definition

[quote]Hintonshawn88 wrote:

[quote]SkyNett wrote:

And losing weight necessarily means his arms will get ripped too?[/quote]

Losing fat will mean exactly that. An overall reduction in body fat will increase definition everywhere, including his arms.[/quote]

I understand that, but he said he needs to lose weight. And I am pretty sure there are plenty of people out there who can lose some bodyfat % without losing much, if any weight. [/quote]

YOU ALREADY SAID HE DIDN’T NECESSARILY NEED TO LOSE FAT AND GAIN MUSCLE SIMULTANEOUSLY…SO HOW WILL HE LOSE FAT WITHOUT LOSING WEIGHT???

(Yes, I deem the caps necessary)

OP post some arm pics, my guess that you just need to get bigger arms. Then worry about definition when you cut, if your not in need of a dire cut right now.

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:

And losing weight necessarily means his arms will get ripped too? I just think that the idea of having to lose weight to get lower bodyfat is dumb…last time i checked muscle weighs more than fat…[/quote]

What are you even saying?

If the guy wants to see more definition in his arms, he needs to lose bodyfat. Unless he’s a genetic freak that can lose BF and simultaneously gain muscle quickly (which he prob isn’t since he needs to lose fat to see definition in his arms, no offense OP nearly no one is), he won’t do that.

If your theory were true, then no bodybuilder would ever diet down for a contest, they all would be able to just cut up at the weight they start at.

OP,

You need to lose fat to see more definition, period. [/quote]

I guess I was trying to hit the idea that you could gain muscle and lose some bodyfat % at the same time, but guess that idea is an abomination. Ill just go jump off a bridge.

[quote]Silo101 wrote:

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
If I could do it over too, as a beginner before lifting weights I would have gotten lean as shit and then entered the gym. [/quote]

No dude, stretch marks… And its actually harder to put decent size on when you’re that lean and small at the same time… rather just keep a decent body fat the whole time and cut to desired weight after.[/quote]

That’s somewhat what he’s saying. He means that if he’d entered the gym lean to begin with, he would’ve had a little more room for error, as it were, and would’ve been less likely to get fat before coming to terms with reality. And yes, I know his background very well, he knows his stuff.

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:

And losing weight necessarily means his arms will get ripped too? I just think that the idea of having to lose weight to get lower bodyfat is dumb…last time i checked muscle weighs more than fat…[/quote]

If the guy wants to see more definition in his arms, he needs to lose bodyfat. Unless he’s a genetic freak that can lose BF and simultaneously gain muscle quickly (which he prob isn’t since he needs to lose fat to see definition in his arms, no offense OP nearly no one is), he won’t do that.

If your theory were true, then no bodybuilder would ever diet down for a contest, they all would be able to just cut up at the weight they start at.

OP,

I guess I was trying to hit the idea that you could gain muscle and lose some bodyfat % at the same time, but guess that idea is an abomination. Ill just go jump off a bridge.
[/quote]

That’s called a recomp. I definitely already addressed that option. PLEASE think a bit more before you call out pro bodybuilders.

[quote]Silo101 wrote:

If I could do it over too, as a beginner before lifting weights I would have gotten lean as shit and then entered the gym. [/quote]

No dude, stretch marks… And its actually harder to put decent size on when you’re that lean and small at the same time… rather just keep a decent body fat the whole time and cut to desired weight after.[/quote]

I disagree if you take a practical and educated approach to bulking.

Feel like I could have saved myself some time. Live and learn I guess.

And I never said that it would help him lose fat and gain muscle[/quote]

[quote] Hintonshawn88 wrote:

I guess I was trying to hit the idea that you could gain muscle and lose some bodyfat % at the same time

[/quote]

These definitely contradict each other…

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:

OP,

[/quote]

And increasing the rep range is the magic trick for that?

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:

OP,

[/quote]

Recomp is one of the hardest things to do by definition. A true recomp means you gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, something only the genetic elite can do.

Don’t get all upset, you CAN do this, it’s just nearly impossible for most people and even for those that can do it, many opt for bulking/cutting anyways because it’s more effective.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

[quote]Silo101 wrote:

That’s somewhat what he’s saying. He means that if he’d entered the gym lean to begin with, he would’ve had a little more room for error, as it were, and would’ve been less likely to get fat before coming to terms with reality. And yes, I know his background very well, he knows his stuff. [/quote]

Ok, cool. I agree with everything you said, was just trying to stress that I would rather start at 10 or 11% (and keep it under 13) than “lean as shit” which I take to be about 8 or so.

[quote]Silo101 wrote:

[quote]Silo101 wrote:

That’s somewhat what he’s saying. He means that if he’d entered the gym lean to begin with, he would’ve had a little more room for error, as it were, and would’ve been less likely to get fat before coming to terms with reality. And yes, I know his background very well, he knows his stuff. [/quote]

Ok, cool. I agree with everything you said, was just trying to stress that I would rather start at 10 or 11% (and keep it under 13) than “lean as shit” which I take to be about 8 or so.[/quote]

I agree with you. Not to mention some gain muscle faster at higher body fat percentages like “12%” instead of “8%”…meaning “lean as shit” could potentially hold back the progress of someone trying to put the most size on.

Also, someone who is “skinny fat” will likely set themselves way back by trying to get ripped before they ever actually build any mass at all.

Everyone doesn’t have the genetics to make optimal progress at sub-10% body fat levels…therefore, making the body fat percentage the main concern right out of the gate before understanding how the body responds to training overall may not be the best choice in most cases.

I mean, if your goal isn’t really to get all that big, then yeah, that approach sounds great.

It sounds really bad for the 90lbs kid looking to get swole or even the 150lbs skinny fat guy who is nearly 6 feet tall.

Jesus christ. You just went full retard.

This is a fucking bodybulding forum. Anytime the PHRASE ‘lose weight’ is uttered it means ‘lose fat’.

The full retard comment was directed at you thinking changing a rep scheme will have ANY effect on spot reduction of fat. I hope, for your own well being, that youre trolling.

As far as this topic, if the OP is small, then that alone may be why he sees little definition. There has to be muscle there as well otherwise you have to look like a starving person to see extreme definition.

Asking for stats from the OP would help this along with pictures.

I would find that out before recommending what he should do…but in most cases, to get leaner requires a significant reduction in body fat…and most people won’t be gaining large amounts of muscle while also doing this without drug use.

Body recomp is a SLOW process…and one I would not waste time on unless advanced and already big.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Body recomp is a SLOW process…and one I would not waste time on unless advanced and already big.[/quote]

Or in the military and having to do a good deal of running like this guy<<<

Dammit. Can’t wait to finish this contract and bulk.

[quote]Silo101 wrote:

[quote]Silo101 wrote:

Ok, cool. I agree with everything you said, was just trying to stress that I would rather start at 10 or 11% (and keep it under 13) than “lean as shit” which I take to be about 8 or so.[/quote]

I agree with you. Not to mention some gain muscle faster at higher body fat percentages like “12%” instead of “8%”…meaning “lean as shit” could potentially hold back the progress of someone trying to put the most size on.

Also, someone who is “skinny fat” will likely set themselves way back by trying to get ripped before they ever actually build any mass at all.

Everyone doesn’t have the genetics to make optimal progress at sub-10% body fat levels…therefore, making the body fat percentage the main concern right out of the gate before understanding how the body responds to training overall may not be the best choice in most cases.

I mean, if your goal isn’t really to get all that big, then yeah, that approach sounds great.

It sounds really bad for the 90lbs kid looking to get swole or even the 150lbs skinny fat guy who is nearly 6 feet tall.[/quote]

Both of you misunderstood Austins post. He didnt mean that he’d STAY at ‘lean as shit’ while gaining. Just that he’d have preferred to START there. His post wasnt clear on that, but that’s what he meant.

And I dont see a reason, if someone had the choice, to prefer to start a ‘bulk’ at 12% over 8%. If you start at a lower bodyfat you have more time to eat big and gain muscle before going into so called ‘damage control’ mode.

I agree with you on the skinny fat part. Skinny fat guys have, by far, the most difficult task ahead of them.

Body recomp is a SLOW process…and one I would not waste time on unless advanced and already big.[/quote]

Or in the military and having to do a good deal of running like this guy<<<

Dammit. Can’t wait to finish this contract and bulk. [/quote]

I can honestly say that shit me back YEARS. I was able to hold my heaviest weight for a full year for the first time this past two years…and the result was the retention of more mass when dropping weight. i could never do that before because at most I had 2-3 months before I had to drop weight again for PT.

I mean, I am glad I did it because that experience has helped me in every aspect of my life since I got out (pm me by the way before you separate or get discharged), but I know I had to make a choice back then between making the most progress and a career base.

I can feel argument potential building…

Can we PLEASE not let this turn into another silly thread where everyone is saying basically the same thing but somehow disagreeing all at once? Lol.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Silo101 wrote:

[quote]Silo101 wrote:

It sounds really bad for the 90lbs kid looking to get swole or even the 150lbs skinny fat guy who is nearly 6 feet tall.[/quote]

Both of you misunderstood Austins post. He didnt mean that he’d STAY at ‘lean as shit’ while gaining. Just that he’d have preferred to START there. His post wasnt clear on that, but that’s what he meant.

And I dont see a reason, if someone had the choice, to prefer to start a ‘bulk’ at 12% over 8%. If you start at a lower bodyfat you have more time to eat big and gain muscle before going into so called ‘damage control’ mode.

I agree with you on the skinny fat part. Skinny fat guys have, by far, the most difficult task ahead of them. [/quote]

I don’t think I misunderstood him at all. I already know Austin is on some lean kick. If that makes him happy, good for him. The act of a newbie dieting (unless obese), before they get in the gym and see how their body responds makes little sense to me. None of us have any clue what the genetics of someone else even are. I do know that for me, that would have spelled disaster, even though I was read at “11%” body fat when I was only 150lbs.

I remember my abs not being defined. Can you imagine me wasting time trying to drop weight close to 140lbs or less before curling a dumbbell? For what? How would that help someone?

[quote]Silo101 wrote:

[quote]Silo101 wrote:

Can you explain why?

If you have a guy who’s 6’ tall 185lbs 10%. And a guy 6’ 180 8% (both have roughly 166lbs of LBM), why would you choose the former? Surely the latter would have better insulin sensitivity, even if only theoretically and not that significant in reality. But still, it seems counterintuitive to DESIRE to start a bulk at a higher bf% if the two options are readily available.

I can feel argument potential building…

Can we PLEASE not let this turn into another silly thread where everyone is saying basically the same thing but somehow disagreeing all at once? Lol. [/quote]

Man, no matter what I write they will do that.

I could write exactly what you did and it will happen. LOL.