T Nation

Arimidex Dosing Question

I just got back from the Endo and he prescribed be 1mg of Arimidex per day for my gyno which I have been dealing with on and off for a couple years. I got the gyno from puberty but made it worse doing a couple PH’s before I knew anything about anything. My question is: is this dose too high? From everything I have read the standard is either .25 or.5 mg EOD.

He is a DR so I would think he would prescribe the right amount but then again maybe not. I also am going to be doing a PH cycle in a couple weeks and will be using the Adex as an AI. I don’t know if there are any negative side effects from taking 1mg per day on a cycle but if there are please let me know. Thanks for the help!

Reardless if adex will help gyno or not (I’m doubtful that it will, and you likely need letrozole or a SERM or surgery) yes 1 mg/day is an insane amount, commonly prescribed to female breast cancer patients (who have more E2 than dudes) to take their E2 to 0.

Thanks VT I actually have tried SERM on 3 separate occasions. The gyno will go away then just come back. The DR suggested surgery which I will definitly do I just can’t stop training for the next couple of months so i am waiting until November if the gyno doesn’t go away. As for the dosing…Why would he prescribe such a high amount? and what would you recommend .5 ED? Also what would be the negatives of taking 1 mg per day? Thanks again

Why would he recommend such a high amount? Because the cute drug rep that takes him out to lunch and gives him samples didn’t tell him what the correct dose was for men that do not have breast cancer…

My cynicism is showing

Basically its because doctors knowledge of this type of stuff is woefully inadequate–they are just doing what they know how to do with what they’ve got, and that’s the doses that treat female breast cancer patients. When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

If you have tried the SERM before, and the gyno would go away but then come back, I’m afraid the only option you are going to have is surgery. There is little doubt in my mind that the gyno will be resolved from Adex.

But if you want to give it a try (I wouldn’t), I would think 0.5 mg ED would be pushing it. 0.5 mg EOD sounds about right. You do not want to kill your E2, just take away its effects on your breast tissue.

Thanks VT I will be starting .5mg EOD and seeing how it goes. I have no doubt I will be getting surgery in the near future just trying to delay in for a couple months while I do this training. I absolutely cannot wait to get this shit out of me though it’s terrible.