T Nation

Arguments For/Against Locking Knees Out on Leg Press?

Just looking for opinions on using the leg press machine for injured and de-conditioned personnel on whether people should or should not lock out there knees at the top of the movement. I have always been of the opinion that you should keep the tension on the muscle and not the knee joint.

Bret Contreras and Dean Somerset have both written about the possible benefits of the leg press in general.

I general suggest using a full ROM (full contraction to full extension) on most exercises exercises for most people. “Deconditioned” and “injured” would be taken on a case-by-case basis depending on their specific issues/limitations.

[quote=“ward320, post:1, topic:224044”]
I have always been of the opinion that you should keep the tension on the muscle and not the knee joint.[/quote]
With leg presses, squats, or any lower body exercise, It’s possible to lockout without exaggerating knee stress. It’s not necessarily either/or. But if the hypothetical client has pre-existing knee issues, then it’s probably best to use a deliberately shortened ROM and/or modify the exercise to preserve and prioritize knee health (possibly choosing another exercise entirely).

I tried the non lock out method on leg press this summer and my knees hurt for three weeks. Yet on squats I’ve fone them on down set no problems.