T Nation

Argument for 2nd Amendment

Defining the majority of law-abiding gun owners by the abuse of firearms by the few is no different than defining all bodybuilders who use “performance enhancers” by the few who are “abusers” of such substances…

My point was that if anyone in that store had a gun, not nearly as many people would have died. I probably should have written that.

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

[quote]Defekt wrote:
My point was that if anyone in that store had a gun, not nearly as many people would have died. I probably should have written that. [/quote]

I’m sorry, but having a gun within reach of someone who could get mad, not think, and pop it off is not a good idea. I’m all for protection of gun ownership, but I’m still against it being legal to carry in public without some major restrictions.

There are just too many people with anger problems and too many shitty days.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Defekt wrote:
My point was that if anyone in that store had a gun, not nearly as many people would have died. I probably should have written that.

I’m sorry, but having a gun within reach of someone who could get mad, not think, and pop it off is not a good idea. I’m all for protection of gun ownership, but I’m still against it being legal to carry in public without some major restrictions.

There are just too many people with anger problems and too many shitty days.[/quote]

Better outlaw knives too. Anyone with that kind of anger issue will have no problem substituting one for a gun.

Here’s an evaluation of McCain on the 2nd Amendment:

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/thegunshots/2008/05/john-mccain-on.html

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
Defekt wrote:
My point was that if anyone in that store had a gun, not nearly as many people would have died. I probably should have written that.

I’m sorry, but having a gun within reach of someone who could get mad, not think, and pop it off is not a good idea. I’m all for protection of gun ownership, but I’m still against it being legal to carry in public without some major restrictions.

There are just too many people with anger problems and too many shitty days.

Better outlaw knives too. Anyone with that kind of anger issue will have no problem substituting one for a gun.
[/quote]

Knifing someone is infinitely harder and much less likely to be lethal.

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
Here’s an evaluation of McCain on the 2nd Amendment:

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/thegunshots/2008/05/john-mccain-on.html

[/quote]

Nice slippery slope argument.

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
Defekt wrote:
My point was that if anyone in that store had a gun, not nearly as many people would have died. I probably should have written that.

I’m sorry, but having a gun within reach of someone who could get mad, not think, and pop it off is not a good idea. I’m all for protection of gun ownership, but I’m still against it being legal to carry in public without some major restrictions.

There are just too many people with anger problems and too many shitty days.

Better outlaw knives too. Anyone with that kind of anger issue will have no problem substituting one for a gun.
[/quote]

don’t forget bats, scissors, and cars too! lol …

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
There are just too many people with anger problems and too many shitty days.[/quote]

This is an argument for everyone to be armed to the teeth.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
There are just too many people with anger problems and too many shitty days.

This is an argument for everyone to be armed to the teeth.[/quote]

Wouldn’t stop a suicide shooter.

[quote]Gael wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
There are just too many people with anger problems and too many shitty days.

This is an argument for everyone to be armed to the teeth.

Wouldn’t stop a suicide shooter.

[/quote]

Depends on who’s shooting. 7 rounds of .45 ACP will stop most people.

Don’t mistake the ability to defend oneself with the ability to control the uncontrollable.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Knifing someone is infinitely harder and much less likely to be lethal.[/quote]

Stab twice? If you want them dead and you’ve already stabbed them once they will be dead if you decide to follow through. Same with if you shoot them once, hit them with a car once, etc etc etc.

[quote]Magnate wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
Knifing someone is infinitely harder and much less likely to be lethal.

Stab twice? If you want them dead and you’ve already stabbed them once they will be dead if you decide to follow through. Same with if you shoot them once, hit them with a car once, etc etc etc.

[/quote]

Err… getting a knife out of a concealed place on your body is one heck of a lot harder than taking out a gun. And stabbing someone is a lot harder than pulling a trigger.

If guns were easy to get, do you really think every little old lady in NYC is going to be carrying? No, it’ll be the gang bangers and thugs that get the guns. That’d be lovely.

I’m all for guns to protect the home, but without special circumstances, carry in public is generally a bad idea.

Before the “bad guys will still get guns” argument comes up: How about we actually hold the gun companies responsible for once, eh? If a guy is buying 200 hand guns a month, and he doesn’t have a selling permit, something is obviously up.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:

Err… getting a knife out of a concealed place on your body is one heck of a lot harder than taking out a gun. And stabbing someone is a lot harder than pulling a trigger.

[/quote]

Anyone with the personality bent on killing someone in the middle of the day because of uncontrollable rage will find a way around this HUGE obstacle for sure. …Perhaps he will wear clothing with pockets? And get his knife out of a concealed place (his pocket) with a tool: Perhaps his hand?

Sorry but allowing permits to carry a gun won’t turn society into a total warzone as people become murdering maniacs because they now have the awesome power of a gun.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
I’m all for guns to protect the home, but without special circumstances, carry in public is generally a bad idea.[/quote]

Spoken like a true New Yorker. How much gun crime is commited by a properly licensed concealed carry permit holder. Virtually none.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Natural Nate wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
Defekt wrote:
My point was that if anyone in that store had a gun, not nearly as many people would have died. I probably should have written that.

I’m sorry, but having a gun within reach of someone who could get mad, not think, and pop it off is not a good idea. I’m all for protection of gun ownership, but I’m still against it being legal to carry in public without some major restrictions.

There are just too many people with anger problems and too many shitty days.

Better outlaw knives too. Anyone with that kind of anger issue will have no problem substituting one for a gun.

Knifing someone is infinitely harder and much less likely to be lethal.[/quote]

Not true, knife wounds on average are as lethal as pistol wounds. And it’s probably easier to knife someone within contact distance, or as easy as shooting someone.

Believe it or not. The average police officer hits at a 20% rate in all pistol shootings, regardless of distance. Private citizens fare about the same.

Knives are very, very nasty.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Magnate wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
Knifing someone is infinitely harder and much less likely to be lethal.

Stab twice? If you want them dead and you’ve already stabbed them once they will be dead if you decide to follow through. Same with if you shoot them once, hit them with a car once, etc etc etc.

Err… getting a knife out of a concealed place on your body is one heck of a lot harder than taking out a gun. And stabbing someone is a lot harder than pulling a trigger.

If guns were easy to get, do you really think every little old lady in NYC is going to be carrying? No, it’ll be the gang bangers and thugs that get the guns. That’d be lovely.

I’m all for guns to protect the home, but without special circumstances, carry in public is generally a bad idea.

Before the “bad guys will still get guns” argument comes up: How about we actually hold the gun companies responsible for once, eh? If a guy is buying 200 hand guns a month, and he doesn’t have a selling permit, something is obviously up.[/quote]

You really have no idea what you’re talking about. Right now I have a benchmade folder clipped to my right pocket. It has a 4" blade that will penetrate light body armor. I can acces this knife and stick it in your belly faster than I can draw and fire a gun at contact range.

This pocket knife can open with one hand, and the funny thing about it, it never runs out of ammo. If a police officer has his gun holstered and I’m within 21 feet of him and suddenly rush him, he will die before he can get his gun from his holster.

This is directly from the Tueller drill, a test conducted by the FBI to see how fast the average person could draw and accurately fire a weapon. they found that even elderly people could cover 21 in 2 seconds or less, a time frame that would not allow a person to draw and fire unless they were alert and had their hand on their gun already.

Translation, you’re dead.