Are You Taking Snake Oil Supplements?

Neat graphical summary of the weight of evidence behind common dietary supplements:

Interesting. Some surprising placements on there.

I take fish oil but haven’t heard of snake oil. Snakes are way more anabolic than fish so I’ll definitely have to pick up some of that stuff.

Am I missing it, but I don’t see curcumin on there. I would think since it is gaining popularity it would be listed.

Edit: NM. I see it listed as turmeric.

[quote]BradyZ wrote:
Am I missing it, but I don’t see curcumin on there. I would think since it is gaining popularity it would be listed.

Edit: NM. I see it listed as turmeric.[/quote]

Turmeric had an instant, dramatic, positive effect on my digestion. Like the day after I started taking it things were already better. Much more consistent and effective than probiotics.

I’ll have to look into peppermint oil for digestion as it’s pretty highly rated.

this is an awesome picture, I remember seeing it some time ago. Looks like I’ve taken my fair share of snake oil supplements.

Link to the interactive version:

[quote]themumbler wrote:

cool, it looks like this one is more updated.

[quote]themumbler wrote:

Nice…

I hadn’t even heard of Turmuric for digestion, only cancer / anti-inflammation. Looking at the color coding, it seems Tumuric is an orange color which means it’s one to watch because there are only a few studies, but they have promising results. I’d imagine that a supplement would jump from “slight” to “promising” as more studies are done that support the efficacy of it.

[quote]gregron wrote:
I take fish oil but haven’t heard of snake oil. Snakes are way more anabolic than fish so I’ll definitely have to pick up some of that stuff.[/quote]

Hahahah beat me to it.

COQ10, Fish Oil, Probiotics and Vit D have no evidence supporting them? Then Evening Primrose Oil is also close to the bottomg but Borage Oil is much higher (both GLA supps)…

Tried to see if the researchers have any biases but didn’t see anything obvious… Just seems odd.

[quote]MAF14 wrote:
COQ10, Fish Oil, Probiotics and Vit D have no evidence supporting them? Then Evening Primrose Oil is also close to the bottomg but Borage Oil is much higher (both GLA supps)…

Tried to see if the researchers have any biases but didn’t see anything obvious… Just seems odd.[/quote]

scroll over the circle, it will show in relation to what health issue… for example fish oil and Alzheimer’s vs fish oil and heart health

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

Tried to see if the researchers have any biases but didn’t see anything obvious… Just seems odd.[/quote]

scroll over the circle, it will show in relation to what health issue… for example fish oil and Alzheimer’s vs fish oil and heart health [/quote]

Ohhhhh, ok then that’s why there were some doubles… Nvm my bad.

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

scroll over the circle, it will show in relation to what health issue… for example fish oil and Alzheimer’s vs fish oil and heart health [/quote]

Ohhhhh, ok then that’s why there were some doubles… Nvm my bad.[/quote]

yeah, took me a few mins to figure that out too, especially when I saw fish oil/vit d down low