T Nation

Are YOU Being Followed?

Scientists discover ‘shadow person’
Monday, 25 September 2006
by Erica Harrison
Cosmos Online

SYDNEY: Ever feel as though you’re being followed? As if someone is behind you, shadowing your every move? It might be your ‘shadow person’, created by unusual activity in a specific brain region, a new study shows.

The paper, published in the British journal Nature, describes the case of a 22-year-old woman with no history of psychiatric problems who was being evaluated for treatment of epilepsy. When a region of her brain called the left temporoparietal junction was electrically stimulated, the woman described encounters with a ‘shadow person’ who mimicked her bodily movements.

“Electrical stimulation repeatedly produced a feeling of the presence of another person in her extra-personal space,” said Olaf Blanke, co-author of the study conducted by a team of researchers from University Hospital in Geneva, Switzerland.

When the patient was lying down, stimulation of this brain region caused her to feel that someone was behind her. She described the person as young, of indeterminate sex, “a shadow who did not speak or move, and whose position beneath her back was identical to her own”, according to the researchers.

When the patient sat up, leaned forward and clasped her knees, she felt that the figure was also sitting, embracing her in its arms - a feeling she described as “unpleasant”.

During a language task, in which the seated patient held a card in her right hand, she described the person sitting next to her and trying to interfere with the task. “He wants to take the card … he doesn’t want me to read,” she said.

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/686?page=3

The police tried to send me to a mental hospital when I tried to file a report about a shadow person trying to molest me when I jack off. None of them believed me, they made me feel like I was crazy.

[quote]Raimisch wrote:
The police tried to send me to a mental hospital when I tried to file a report about a shadow person trying to molest me when I jack off. None of them believed me, they made me feel like I was crazy.[/quote]

your shadow person must suck, mine is awesome.

My shadow person chokes himself, oh wait that’s me.

My guy seems to never come around on cloudy days or when it’s dark. I don’t get it.

I don’t mind having a shadow, but I wish the lazy bastard would contribute and do some actual work for a change.

Seriously, taking up my virtual space and giving nothing back. Ingrate.

[quote]vroom wrote:
I don’t mind having a shadow, but I wish the lazy bastard would contribute and do some actual work for a change.

Seriously, taking up my virtual space and giving nothing back. Ingrate.[/quote]

When mine is around he’s lazy fucker too. At least he could run a load of laundry or wash my truck every now and again.

I’ve actually outrun my shadow.

I threw a stick and said “go get it, boy” and the stupid bastard fell for it! I ran in the other direction and was about 50 feet away before he realized it.

They’re so gullible sometimes!

Do any of your shadows actually
work out? Mine does but insists
on TBT while I have a split routine.

[quote]Go-Rilla wrote:

[/quote]

With that discrepancy, you’ll end up a pile of useless muscle while your shadow has FUNCTIONAL strength!

Weird.

[quote]derek wrote:
Go-Rilla wrote:

With that discrepancy, you’'l end up a pile of useless muscle while your shadow has FUNCTIONAL strength!

Weird.[/quote]

I can’t seem to get my hands around the problem.

My shadow is a black guy.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
My guy seems to never come around on cloudy days or when it’s dark. I don’t get it.[/quote]

He is a fair weather friend.

[quote]PGA wrote:
My shadow is a black guy.[/quote]

Mine is too. Thinks he’s the
shit just because he is in the
majority.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:
My guy seems to never come around on cloudy days or when it’s dark. I don’t get it.

He is a fair weather friend.[/quote]

Mine seems to get awfully tall near the end of the day.

At noontime, he’s like all balled up under my feet.

[quote]PGA wrote:
My shadow is a black guy.[/quote]

Mine is half Jamaican and half Cape Verdian.

BigRagoo wrote:

He is a fair weather friend.[/quote]

Ooooohhhhhhh. Now I totally get the meaning of that idiom.

And to think all these years I thought I was being shadowed by the Feds.

I guess it really WAS all in my mind.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:

Ooooohhhhhhh. Now I totally get the meaning of that idiom. [/quote]

Who are you calling an idiom?

BigRagoo wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:

Ooooohhhhhhh. Now I totally get the meaning of that idiom.

Who are you calling an idiom?[/quote]

LOL!