Are You A Beginner II

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for the informative thread:)

As you can see by my amounts of posts I’m new to T-Nation even though I’ve been constantly reading on the site for a long time. although I feel I’ve learned a lot from the short time I’ve been into weight training i know that there of course is always more to learn and I know for a fact this is the best place to do it. Thank you very much,

Blackaggar

This may take awhile to read completely but yeah i just read an article with all the secrets to life(fitness answers)…thank you vroom!

Great thread is a must read for anyone new to the site … I just read and it blew my mind !!! so excited to start hitting the gym just trying to get rid of these killer DOMS from my PT session

So much information in this post. Thanks.

thanks, all great info…feeling overwhelmed at the moment but this gives me somewhere to start.

Thanks, helps keep newbies from asking same questions over and over.

it is a great work. i am a newbie and i will take much time read all this

regards!!!

Thanks, some great reads there and a lot of good advice for everyone.

I have found a home!! Thanx,Vroom

Links are broken,please fix them.thx.

Awesome - thankyou, this is perfect for me just beginning.

I always consider myself a beginner, because there’s so much and so many things I could learn. I never stop learning.
And there’s always something new out there to make me feel like a complete N00B!

Hi and Thanks Vroom
thats a lot of information…

But I have a couple of questions…

As a Mature ( Ahum ) over 50 lifter who is trying to make a comeback.
I have always been perplexed re the following…

Am following at the moment Complexes to get cardio fitness for burning up Fat.

Ok Please bear with me just a moment…

I have chosen 8 counpound exercises which I do 1 rep each thats 8 exercises X 1

I do them for a set of 10 sets. takes me 6 mins 30 seconds to perfrm…

Ok what is the most efficient for progession…

A ) do I just increase the sets.
B ) Do I increase the weight
C ) Do I increase the reps.

As I see it at the moment

If I increase the sets with the same weight that I am using until I reach Lets say 15… Do I then drop back to 10 sets and indrease the weight ( lets say 10 Lbs on each movement…

or

would it be more beneficial to increase the reps until I reach lets say 5 reps for each movement, peform them for my 10 sts then increase the weight and drop back down to 1 rep for each X 10 sts …

Appreccioate an anwer

would be most helpful…just trying to be as efficient as I can be with my traing.

Thanks
Gillal

Great info in this thread. Finally registered after lurking for a bit, love it here.

Great info!

Now I have an idea how & where to start

I haven’t got a chance to read much of the site yet, but I did get a chance to Watch all the videos of each phase and read each day by day for the I, bodybuilder program. I’m not entirely new to working out and nutrition, but still have much to learn before I feel confident enough to pass on information to others. In the past 4 years ive gone from 135 to 175 (current weight). My best results came from Bill Starr’s 5x5 program and a routine I put together myself consisting of mainly compound lifts 4x8.

Sorry if this is in any way a repeat of another “newb” to the forums, but I want to ask myself. I gave Phase 1 a try on Saturday because it was a couple days after I got to read a few things on this site. I noticed that for the first couple sets into each lift is light weight typically 75% of our 1RM then as high as 80% on our last set. Is it suppose to feel really light on the first couple sets? Is this for some sort of neural shock? Im willing to give this program a try for 12 weeks or whatever it may take for each phase give or take 2 to 4 weeks a phase.

Im assuming that the light weight is still effective by being explosive with each rep. Also I noticed each phase is focusing on one particular group of muscles, yet still has other body parts which is great! However, Im really trying to build up my legs, is it still possible to gain through each phase even though the target isnt legs? I wasn’t sure how to ask what Im exactly looking for. Any advice is good advice. Just to give you an idea of where I am and what my goals are:
I am 5’10" 175 range. I fluctuate 5-6 lbs often. I would like to get to 185-190 by August. Looking to start into something different and out from the ordinary 3x10 or 4x8 same ol same ol. Again, if your reading this thank you for your patience and hope to get a response.

wow thanks a whole lot.
Was a bit lost and confused in this site trying to get prepped to start building some muscle (new gym membership!)

Thanks.

ThNKS, appreciate the effort, and some good reading in there!

This is great. For me, there’s a huge learning curve and my reading around the site has been a bit haphazard. Thanks for the article suggestions, laying down the basics.